SportsWrath

Vereen in 15

Lughead

I think he's going to be a fantastic addition and help the team immensely. I'm not expecting a breakout star (not sure if anyone else is, just sayin'). He's going to be very valuable to the offense and Eli, extending drives and so forth, but he isn't going to be someone who lights up the league and has 1700 yards from scrimmage or something either. In other words, he's not going to be Jamaal Charles but he doesn't need to be. I'm pumped to see this offense go when it's clicking.

I equate what Vereen will bring this year to what Shockey brought years ago. When we had Toomer and Hilliard, Shockey drew a lot of attention inside. Toomer, statistically, had the most catches and yards in that season than any other season of his career. Hilliard, while only playing in 7 games, had the highest yards/game average of his career that season.

When Vereen is in the game, the defense will have to consider pass, run, or screen as opposed to just one or two of those things. However, this threat is HUGELY decreased by whatever deficiencies there may be on the offensive line. In other words, if the line can block for a screen appropriately, that is less of a threat defenses will have to worry about.

At the end of the day, I think our offense will be able to move the ball on most teams should we stay healthy. I see defenses double-teaming OBJ all day. I think Cruz will get single coverage until he proves he can beat it. Randle will remain with single coverage, likely the team's 3rd corner...which he proved he can beat.

If we throw in one of the TEs who has shown promise in the receiving game to chip a DE on his way into a pass pattern underneath the 2 WR side while allowing Vereen two escape into the short middle, there ought to be a ton of options for Eli. I see the 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB set being highly successful. And a lot of that, will be because of what Vereen will bring to the table as a dual threat.

I think you'll all be very, very disappointed. Can't believe we paid market price for a third down back and kick returner when most teams find those guys in the fifth round.

We aren't most teams. Only way Vereen can disappoint is he if ends up on IR.

i would go rewatch the superbowl. he adds a dimension to our offense that was completely non-existent. i don't care about the returns

I just can't. This is the first year I didn't watch the Super Bowl. I mean, the cheaters vs the thugs? You have to draw the fucking line somewhere.

If football wasn't such a big thing in my family I honestly wouldn't watch at all at this point.

Not to completely shun Seph's negativity here - I think he might be very effective in the McAdoo offense. And he gives us an excellent...EXCELLENT check down option incase the Offensive Line shows up with a case of diarrhea every Sunday!

Unless the OLine shits the bed to the point where the RB needs to stay in and block.

i see, well i do think you'd change your mind about the signing. he was a huge part of that win, just money at extending drives

To be fair unless the Giants are winning a SB every year, Seph acts like a Browns fan who hasnt seen a winning season in the last 20 years.

To be fair unless the Giants are winning a SB every year, Seph acts like a Browns fan who hasnt seen a winning season in the last 20 years.

I just don't wear the rose colored glasses. But we'll see who's right in February.

i see, well i do think you'd change your mind about the signing. he was a huge part of that win, just money at extending drives

I watched his YouTube highlight videos. He seems to have a knack for finding the hole in coverage and catches really well, but doesn't seem to have much speed or power. Great vision though, and I've always argued that's the most important thing for a back to have.

yeah he's not darren sproles in his prime or anything like that but he's a very good receiving option out of the backfield which i think will really take this offense to another level on passing and 3rd downs. i think he had like 11 catches in the superbowl or something crazy like that. just seemed like he really kept them in it

yeah he's not darren sproles in his prime or anything like that but he's a very good receiving option out of the backfield which i think will really take this offense to another level on passing and 3rd downs. i think he had like 11 catches in the superbowl or something crazy like that. just seemed like he really kept them in it

Yeah that's another weird thing that the Giants do lately though... sign a free agent because of one big game, usually against the Giants. We got Trindon Holliday last year because he gashed the Giants and this year we signed the worst-rated free agent on a 3-13 team (J.T. Thomas) to come in and somehow become a starter because he played well against us. I don't think Vereen will be as useless as those two guys but behind a shit O-line like this one I'm not expecting much either... he doesn't strike me as a guy who can make much happen on his own.

It wasn't just one game. I just used that as a high profile example that I assumed you saw.

Holliday was one if the best kickoff returners in the league when he was a bronco. His issue was fumbling otherwise they never would've let him go

I just don't wear the rose colored glasses. But we'll see who's right in February.

I never said the Giants were gonna have a good upcoming season, in fact I firmly believe that we don't win another super bowl with Eli or Coughlin at the helm. However I don't think that every single move the giants make is wrong and that they haven't done a single thing right in the past 15 years ala the Raiders or Browns.

I never said the Giants were gonna have a good upcoming season, in fact I firmly believe that we don't win another super bowl with Eli or Coughlin at the helm. However I don't think that every single move the giants make is wrong and that they haven't done a single thing right in the past 15 years ala the Raiders or Browns.

I don't think that either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 70+ catches and ~500 yards with a few TDs. With ODB blowing the top off defenses there's gonna be a lot of holes underneath. If Cruz is even 80% of his old self we'll have excellent short, mid and long options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 70+ catches and ~500 yards with a few TDs. With ODB blowing the top off defenses there's gonna be a lot of holes underneath. If Cruz is even 80% of his old self we'll have excellent short, mid and long options.

I really think, the 3 WR-1 TE-1 RB set on 3rd downs could be lethal.

--OBJ can get open pretty much against anyone. Not sure on double teams, but it's been mentioned that he was doubled last year. I haven't rewatched any film to verify that, nor will I, but he'll certainly draw double coverage this year.

--Cruz is still a huge question mark, but will now likely be seeing the opponent's #2 CB. I think if he's 80% of his former self, he can win a lot of those battles. At the very least, he'll pull a defender his way and beat him on occasion.

--Randle will beat most 3rd CBs. He showed that last year albeit against lesser competition. The problem will be if teams are able put their 2nd CB on Randle and 3rd CB on Cruz with any sort of success.

--Vereen out of the backfield is a component that we've not really had under Eli save for Tiki, and that didn't last long. I have to wonder if Eli is comfortable reading/making the swing pass. But as a check down option, Vereen will be fantastic. If Vereen can chip a DE on his way out into a 5-yard pass pattern consistently, 3rd and 5's can be his down all year.

--As for whichever TE ends up suiting up, they can double the D-end that Vereen doesn't chip or they can get into an intermediate route of 7-10 yards.

Between Cruz and the offensive line, we have some serious question marks...but there is plenty of optimism.