SportsWrath

Coughlin is the MAN

Mr. P

PHOENIX - Tom Coughlin's biggest nemesis isn't Chip Kelly or Bill Belichick or anyone else who has anything to do with the NFL.

It's Siri, the voice that comes from his iPhone.

Coughlin, 68, told a funny story at the NFC coaches breakfast at the league's annual meetings on Wednesday about his contemptuous relationship with the relatively new technology.

"Two weeks ago I'm trying to get to a roller hockey game that my grandson is playing in, so Marc Ross [the Giants' director of college scouting] had showed me how to talk to this phone," Coughlin said. "I don't trust the lady in GPS, I don't trust her, because they don't send you the right way. I hit the button and I go 'Park Ridge, New Jersey.' And she comes back on, she's giving me directions. So now I figure out where I am. I hit the thing and I said, 'Thank you very much, I know exactly where I am now.' And she comes back and says, 'You don't have to thank me.' I swear to God that's what she said. And then I couldn't get her to shut up. Every turn. 'Take a right here.' I know where I am. I know where I am. I'm a block away from my house and she's telling me where to go. I said, 'I know where I'm going.' "

If it's hard for you to envision Coughlin embracing technology, imagine what it's like for him. He did say that he texts -- he's said that in the past -- but that he prefers an old-fashioned phone call. He said he's a "hunt and peck" texter. Beyond that, he doesn't use many apps or surf the web. At least not on his own.

"If I don't know how to do something, my 11-year-old grandson and 11-year-old granddaughter, they can do it," he said of his in-house IT department.

Coughlin was amazed at how well young kids can use the tools of technology. He had a theory as to why.

"When I was raised it was 'Don't touch that,' 'Don't break that,' 'Don't you dare,' " he said. "These guys, they have no fear of these things. They just go and they do it. They're probably reinforced by people saying, 'You can't hurt it.' I could hurt it. I defy all odds."

Coughlin added that he and the Giants did some research into how millennials behave since they are starting to draft players from that generation. Some of the trends the Giants found were that they are multi-taskers, they are versatile when it comes to technology, and they would rather text than call.

"You can't get them to answer the phone but they [text] right back at you," he said.

So when he needs to get in touch with, say Odell Beckham Jr., he texts him?

"I would call him so he hears my voice," Coughlin said. "He'll pick up."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/tom-coughlin-battles-siri-1.10122285

ylaTYGI.jpg

GawhNpH.png

The TC episode of A Football Life was incredible. I gained so much more respect for him than what I already had. He's a tremendous human being.

I gained a huge amount of respect for John Madden. That phone message is great.

Park Ridge... Fucking New Jersey... Ed from Park Ridge... where are you?

LOL.....my brother works in Park Ridge....met Mrs. Coughlin, and said she's the nicest, most down to earth woman you'd ever meet.

LOL.....my brother works in Park Ridge....met Mrs. Coughlin, and said she's the nicest, most down to earth woman you'd ever meet.

Jack is from Park Ridge... Jack Stroud that is...