SportsWrath

Bring Back Spags

JayD

Guess there has been some talk. I know not everyone is for that, but I for one certainly am. I don't care whats happened since he left. All is forgiven, just come home Steve.

Strange I cant seem to post the link.

Yes, let's bring back the guy who has struggled to sniff any position besides "defensive assistant" since his complete failure as a head coach in St. Louis and complete failure as a defensive coordinator in New Orleans.

Face it, the guy was blessed with one of the best defensive lines of the modern NFL and got to experience lightning being caught in a bottle.

Yes, let's bring back the guy who has struggled to sniff any position besides "defensive assistant" since his complete failure as a head coach in St. Louis and complete failure as a defensive coordinator in New Orleans.

Face it, the guy was blessed with one of the best defensive lines of the modern NFL and got to experience lightning being caught in a bottle.

The two years he was with us. Our defense didn't rank lower than now.

The two years he was with us. Our defense didn't rank lower than now.

I don't know what that means.

What I do know is that Spagnuolo won't be back to coach the defense. It won't happen. He won't be back running a defense in the NFL until he gets an assistant spot first, anyway. He's not going to jump from "defensive assistant" to defensive coordinator, no team will do that. The NFL is a "what have you done lately?" league. He'll have to work his way back up through the ranks. It could happen, he's young, but it's not going to happen within the next couple years, let alone next year.

And what strikes me as hilarious is that a vocal few of you want to change things up, remove Coughlin, go through a complete overhaul of the roster (that would happen with a new coach), change up assistants etc. etc. are the same guys that want to look back to the past to bring back a defensive coordinator who has had absolutely no success outside of his time as an assistant in Philly and his time under Coughlin in NY. So you want change but you want to bring back a familiar face. Got it.

What I do know is that Spagnuolo won't be back to coach the defense. It won't happen. He won't be back running a defense in the NFL until he gets an assistant spot first, anyway. He's not going to jump from "defensive assistant" to defensive coordinator, no team will do that. The NFL is a "what have you done lately?" league. He'll have to work his way back up through the ranks. It could happen, he's young, but it's not going to happen within the next couple years, let alone next year.

And what strikes me as hilarious is that a vocal few of you want to change things up, remove Coughlin, go through a complete overhaul of the roster (that would happen with a new coach), change up assistants etc. etc. are the same guys that want to look back to the past to bring back a defensive coordinator who has had absolutely no success outside of his time as an assistant in Philly and his time under Coughlin in NY. So you want change but you want to bring back a familiar face. Got it.

Who falls into this category, driz?

Sexy Rexy moving across the street wouldn't bother me, but I heard he's not interested in a DC spot. Spags coming back wouldn't bother me either. You can't judge him a a DC based on his failure at HC with the Rams, and you certainly can't judge him as a DC with that head-hunting-shit-gate he had to deal with in New Orleans. I don't know what he's been doing since then though so maybe he sucks at whatever that is.

I certainly would hold him responsible for a defense that gave up the most yards in NFL history. He had a full roster and control of the defense. People like to think the entire defense was suspended or something.

And it's funny that had he been successful in St. Louis it would have been to Steve's credit. Since he failed, he can't be judged and held accountable.

Sexy Rexy moving across the street wouldn't bother me, but I heard he's not interested in a DC spot. Spags coming back wouldn't bother me either. You can't judge him a a DC based on his failure at HC with the Rams, and you certainly can't judge him as a DC with that head-hunting-shit-gate he had to deal with in New Orleans. I don't know what he's been doing since then though so maybe he sucks at whatever that is.i

I agree...

I've already named a dozen candidates better then Spags. Agree with all this, except I don't think we would need a complete overhaul if Coughlin was gone

I've already named a dozen candidates better then Spags. Agree with all this, except I don't think we would need a complete overhaul if Coughlin was gone

We wouldn't need it, you're right...I believe a new head coach would want to bring his own scheme and with it, many new players. Many of the guys under contract would stay but I could see them going after a bunch of free agents under a new regime.

I certainly would hold him responsible for a defense that gave up the most yards in NFL history. He had a full roster and control of the defense. People like to think the entire defense was suspended or something.

And it's funny that had he been successful in St. Louis it would have been to Steve's credit. Since he failed, he can't be judged and held accountable.

He is most certainly accountable for failing as a head coach. That has nothing to do with his ability as a defensive coordinator. That was my point. That it can't be said now that Spags sucks as a DC because he was a shitty HC.

We wouldn't need it, you're right...I believe a new head coach would want to bring his own scheme and with it, many new players. Many of the guys under contract would stay but I could see them going after a bunch of free agents under a new regime.

If that were to happen though. Wouldn't you want it asap instead of a lame duck year with Coughlin?

Why not Guinta? He wanted the job in the past.

The secondary on the whole looked competent, all things considered. In fact, looking at all the injuries, they played very well.

He's familiar with the players and the coaches; so he would be able to jump in and keep who needs to be kept, ditch who needs to be ditched. He apparently knows how to develop players.

The only flaw I've seen are the miscommunications in the backfield, but is that scheme? If so, then that's out of his hands, and he might be able to create something that gets rid of the problem.

It's not as jarring a change (if Coughlin is in a "do it this year or you're done" situation), and Coughlin gets to save face by hiring one of "his" guys.

The only problem is we don't know how he'd call a game.

Good article from Graziano.....

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12094849/new-york-giants-bid-perry-fewell-farewell

The whispers around the league say Fewell's defense is too predictable, too stale, not that uncomfortable to play against. And it has been that way for a while.

The Giants' defense was 29th in the 32-team NFL in yardage allowed this season, 22nd in points allowed (25.0 PPG), and 30th in stopping the run (135.1 YPG).

A late surge of sacks made this year's total look prettier than last year's (47 versus 34 a season ago). That said, 22 of those sacks came against the Jaguars, Titans and Redskins -- three of the worst teams in the league. It's impossible to forget how the Giants blew a 21-point lead in that Jacksonville game (two turnovers for scores didn't help) and, earlier in the season, couldn't adjust as Seattle gashed them for a dizzying 350 yards rushing.

Fewell's supporters could make a case that it's not all his fault. Injuries hit some of his best players: linebacker Jon Beason, Amukamara and fellow cornerbacks Walter Thurmond and Trumaine McBride. More recently, Mathias Kiwanuka and Robert Ayers were lost on the defensive line. In their stead, a few young players -- notably, rookie linebacker Devon Kennard and defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins (seven sacks) -- made admirable progress.

Beason, one of the most respected leaders on the defense, defended Fewell on Monday, saying, "I think the first part of it is, any time you have 21, 22 guys on IR [injured reserve as a team], it's very difficult to win. ... A different approach is, you know, we had a 60 percent roster turnover [during the offseason], and I firmly believe in continuity. It's hard when you have guys thrown in with different mindsets, philosophies -- especially when they're veteran guys that have done things before. ... I think that was part of it.

"On paper, we're good enough to compete with anybody," Beason insisted. "Getting on the same page just took a little longer than expected."

Fine. But the Giants haven't made the playoffs in four of Fewell's five years. Reimagining the offense by hiring Ben McAdoo away from Green Bay last season wasn't easy. But Manning passed for more than 4,400 yards and cut his interceptions from 27 to 14.

Now, giving the team's defense its own facelift seems equally mandatory.

Not because Fewell is a bad coach. But because the league moves fast. And the Giants can do better.

Of course, it would pain Coughlin -- the "Blame Me" guy -- to see both coordinators get clipped in successive years for the team's unacceptable overall performance. Kevin Gilbride resigned last year by walking straight into Coughlin's office after watching owner John Mara say on live TV that the offense was "broken."

Mara will meet with the press again Tuesday. So will general manager Jerry Reese.

By then, Coughlin -- who is also expected to speak -- should begrudgingly admit the Giants staff can't stand pat after the season they just had. Winning more games is a core value, too, you know. And rebooting the Giants' defense is the necessary place to start.