SportsWrath

Offseason Thoughts

Dragon

I dont envy Gettleman this offseason but I trust he'll make the right decisions. That being said I still have my own idea of how this should work.

Here's my hope... Eli's gonna be here in 2019 and Iirc u can't just have a player in the NFL take a pay cut without a restructure which would mean signing him for another year. Give him one more year and spread the current deal over this year and next. So Eli's under contract thru 2020 at HALF his current cap number(so $12M avg). That should put us around $44M in cap space.

From there, bring back Collins on a "prove u can stay healthy" deal, bring back Corey Coleman, CUT VERNON'S BUMASS, and bring in the best C (currently looking at KC C Mitch Morse. Currently only 26 and entering free agency although idk much else about him) and Edge rusher in the FA market.

Instead of sitting at 6 we trade back to somewhere between 15-20 picking up a 1st and say a 4th or 5th next year along with a 2nd or 3rd this year and begin bolstering the OL, DL and Safety spots. We should have 11 fn draft picks including the returning supplemental pick we made last offseason... without including any hypothetical trades. That puts us in position to make a run this year (and if Eli can't cut it... give Lauletta a shot with a decent roster) AND put us in position to trade up for the best QB available in 2020. #boom

Thoughts? Counter strategy? There's more to this but I'm nodding off cause work was a nightmare.

Kyle Lauletta is not an NFL caliber quarterback. I'm not even sure he's a capable backup. While I approve of most of the GIants' offseason moves, he's a real head-scratcher.

I dont think he is either. That little caveat is in there solely to appease anyone who thinks Lauletta is the better option or the bunch that think the only thing wrong with this team is Eli.

I dont envy Gettleman this offseason but I trust he'll make the right decisions. That being said I still have my own idea of how this should work.

Here's my hope... Eli's gonna be here in 2019 and Iirc u can't just have a player in the NFL take a pay cut without a restructure which would mean signing him for another year. Give him one more year and spread the current deal over this year and next. So Eli's under contract thru 2020 at HALF his current cap number(so $12M avg). That should put us around $44M in cap space.

From there, bring back Collins on a "prove u can stay healthy" deal, bring back Corey Coleman, CUT VERNON'S BUMASS, and bring in the best C (currently looking at KC C Mitch Morse. Currently only 26 and entering free agency although idk much else about him) and Edge rusher in the FA market.

Instead of sitting at 6 we trade back to somewhere between 15-20 picking up a 1st and say a 4th or 5th next year along with a 2nd or 3rd this year and begin bolstering the OL, DL and Safety spots. We should have 11 fn draft picks including the returning supplemental pick we made last offseason... without including any hypothetical trades. That puts us in position to make a run this year (and if Eli can't cut it... give Lauletta a shot with a decent roster) AND put us in position to trade up for the best QB available in 2020. #boom

Thoughts? Counter strategy? There's more to this but I'm nodding off cause work was a nightmare.

I would only re-sign Collins if we can get him for below $8mm per year, or on a one year deal.

I would NOT cut Vernon at a time where our defense has no other pass rushers and many other gaping holes as well, but I would see if he'll restructure.

I would be open to the giants drafting a QB if after evaluating they think they have their future QB in this draft. I'd be interested in evaluating Daniel Jones, Ryan Finley, Lock, Haskins, Grier, etc.

I like the idea of trading back and getting more picks. Frankly, nobody at #6 currently impresses me all that much, and the guys I'd like I think will all go top 5.

In my view, investing in the OL is priority #1, and I think needs to be a combination of draft picks and free agents. Next priorities are DB's, pass rushers, DL and LB depth.

I despise the notion and idea that we should simply assume we'll be able to get Tua, Herbert, Frohm, etc in next year drafts; that they're necessarily better than the top prospects in this years draft, or that we'll be in a position to draft them.

I would only re-sign Collins if we can get him for below $8mm per year, or on a one year deal.

I would NOT cut Vernon at a time where our defense has no other pass rushers and many other gaping holes as well, but I would see if he'll restructure.

I would be open to the giants drafting a QB if after evaluating they think they have their future QB in this draft. I'd be interested in evaluating Daniel Jones, Ryan Finley, Lock, Haskins, Grier, etc.

I like the idea of trading back and getting more picks. Frankly, nobody at #6 currently impresses me all that much, and the guys I'd like I think will all go top 5.

In my view, investing in the OL is priority #1, and I think needs to be a combination of draft picks and free agents. Next priorities are DB's, pass rushers, DL and LB depth.

I despise the notion and idea that we should simply assume we'll be able to get Tua, Herbert, Frohm, etc in next year drafts; that they're necessarily better than the top prospects in this years draft, or that we'll be in a position to draft them.

I want Collins moved. Over the Cap has him listed as a Free Safety which is ludicrous to me since he really can't cover. He seems way more of a rush/run stopping LB albeit a small one.

Vernon spends more time on the sidelines with random ankle injuries than he does on the field getting phantom pressure and accumulating soul crushing penalties. I want him replaced... not just gone.

Agreed on the QB part. I have no issue with drafting one that jumps out to us or riding with Eli next year. The only thing I'm opposed to is bringing in a free agent TO START. If Eli goes/retires and we bring in a FA to back up a rookie I'd be fine with it.

After the National Championship I'm not really sold on any QB next year... especially considering what Trevor Lawrence showed and what Tua didnt, BUT they all have a full season to change my mind and if my plan actually happened we'd have trade chips to move around next year and get ourselves I to position.

Foles produces... I don't really know how though. My eyes tell me he's not much different from Eli. Lateral move, probably. And Foles has a poor history of availability.

Too many needs to allocate those resources to one position. I think better play for now and future is to ride Eli until a younger, drafted player beats him out. BPA all day long, and don't pick the QB unless he's that guy. A bpa tie goes to the trenches, imo.

Part of me just wants to sign Foles ......... and compete for the next 3 years .......am I wrong ?

( Im not sure we can win with Eli anymore and Im not sure about this QB draft class , and forget Lauletta )

Eagles have sucked us in to too many of their over the hill losers:

Trotter, that can’t miss punt returner with the belly, there’s more I know. No on foles