SportsWrath

Sterling Shepard breaks thumb.

Sephiroth

I think this offense is going to be good. Maybe really good. Barkley behind this improved line is reason enough to get excited.

This year runs through Barkley in every way possible.

We are going back to old school "run to set up the pass" football, expect runs on first and second down, with Eli trying to dink and dunk with the WRs to pick up the short yardage downs.

It really doesn't matter who our WRs are on the field, they just need to be able to create separation on the short routes when needed, which is something Shepard and Tate excel at.

Barkley gets hurt though and you might as well just rest the starters every week he's out.

Ill stick to my theory that theyre planning to play ball control offense to keep the potent passing teams off the field. If they can rely on 4.5 ypc for Barkley, keep themselves in third and short, and move the chains and flip field position with YAC, theyre going to be good. If teams stack the box and play tight man on the receivers, theyre going to have to be able to adjust with guys like Engram over the middle. I like Barkley in the pass game this year.

The coaches know that Manning cant win the game on his own anymore. They know he cant hit the deep outs and long ball. Theyll have to continue to rely on short slants. Im worried about the red zone. Outside of Engram they dont have a red zone target.

Ill stick to my theory that theyre planning to play ball control offense to keep the potent passing teams off the field. If they can rely on 4.5 ypc for Barkley, keep themselves in third and short, and move the chains and flip field position with YAC, theyre going to be good. If teams stack the box and play tight man on the receivers, theyre going to have to be able to adjust with guys like Engram over the middle. I like Barkley in the pass game this year.

The coaches know that Manning cant win the game on his own anymore. They know he cant hit the deep outs and long ball. Theyll have to continue to rely on short slants. Im worried about the red zone. Outside of Engram they dont have a red zone target.

That's the only thing that makes sense offensively this year and it's what Shurmur ran in Minnesota.

Control the game with the run and dink and dunk for first downs, although Diggs and Theilen are heads and tails better than Shepard and Tate.

The biggest problem is going to be the defence if they give up points as fast and as easy as they did last year this offense is never going to be able to keep pace, unless Barkley is able to snap off 50+ yard TD runs every drive which I wouldn't have e a problem with either lol

Can you imagine what it is going to be like for that guy catching balls at the Met...in early December....3 months after breaking a thumb.

Fuck me....it is going to suck to be him for awhile.

C>W agon

Probably all season long

It is a good idea to hold him out of the preseason and have Shepard for as long as we can during the regular season. It is going to take one hard catch or hit to aggravate that thumb fracture.

Can you imagine what it is going to be like for that guy catching balls at the Met...in early December....3 months after breaking a thumb.

C>W agon

He will heal just fine... besides during the game, theres no pain due to adrenaline...

C>W agon

Hes going to earn that new contract... thats for sure. Man, Im really pulling for this kid to lead the WR group this year.

We dont have an X. We dont have a fucking X. Its going to cost in stretching the play field. Theyll stack 7 in the box no matter who plays WR....Barkley will be their focus.

Shepard was the X all last year.

OBJ was typically in the slot or playing in the "Z" role, who was constantly being motioned.

Sure OBJ was sometimes ISO on the far side especially when they were sitting around midfield, but most of the time Shurmur had Shepard playing on the line, since he was the best blocking and the most physical of the WRs we have.

Not to mention the way the NFL is evoling you don't really have a clear 1/2/3 WR on a team anymore, outside of the Falcons or Bungals who use their main guy at X all game.

Teams are moving guys around in formations now to get the best mismatch, trying to get a LB or Nickle to line up against their best WR.

At the moment are x y z are like Cody latimer, Bennie Fowler, and Darius slayton (?). They have to pick up a proven vet, even if they are on the downside of their career. Crabtree would be a decent signing in this scenario. If torrie smith can hang around the league, I dont see why Crabtree cant.

At the moment are x y z are like Cody latimer, Bennie Fowler, and Darius slayton (?). They have to pick up a proven vet, even if they are on the downside of their career. Crabtree would be a decent signing in this scenario. If torrie smith can hang around the league, I dont see why Crabtree cant.

Yeah Crabtree is probably the best bet for a vet guy, he wont light up the stat line but he's a solid run blocker and could step in day one.

Slayton might not even be ready for week one, suppose to have a bad ham string injury and miss most of the pre season.

Right now I see week one as X - Engram, Y - Latimer Z - Shepard of the Russell variety.

I think they let Sterling Shepard sit until he's 110% because one hard throw or he catches the ball the wrong way and it's a whole season of him nursing a nagging thumb injury, and this isnt the year for that nonsense.

If Engram is X, who plays tight end? Ellison and who? I just dont think Engram has the speed or agility to play out there. Hes really not a physical tight end, either. I worry about an offense with a converted tight end playing X.

If Engram is X, who plays tight end? Ellison and who? I just dont think Engram has the speed or agility to play out there. Hes really not a physical tight end, either. I worry about an offense with a converted tight end playing X.

Ellison is fine he's basically Bear with more athleticism.

There's some rookie who's turning heads and people are projecting to make team.

And honestly Ellison is better at everything a TE does than Engram.

Engram simply isn't a TE in the NFL he's to lanky and weak but he's fast and tall.

He's a WR who sometimes run off the line from a there point stance, get him off the line and where he belongs in space.

Relax. As I said on the other thread, between R Shepard, Latimer, Fowler, one of these guys will step up...Latimer has shown flashes in the past. Between that, Engram (wherever he lines up), and S Shepard and Slayton returning soon, I'm not too worried about the passing attack.

Then week 5, Tate comes back.

Ellison is fine he's basically Bear with more athleticism.

There's some rookie who's turning heads and people are projecting to make team.

And honestly Ellison is better at everything a TE does than Engram.

Engram simply isn't a TE in the NFL he's to lanky and weak but he's fast and tall.

He's a WR who sometimes run off the line from a there point stance, get him off the line and where he belongs in space.

CJ Conrad also out of Kentucky.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/7/29/8934815/ny-giants-training-camp-cj-conrad-has-caught-giants-attention-kentucky

Scott Simonson has some serious competition this year to make it and Dickerson is done.

• 3 weeks later...