SportsWrath

Tom Coughlin had a top-notch training regimen and never overworked hurt players.

Sephiroth

yeah, that, and supposedly the 'players wouldn't play for him'

flash forward twelve years, and a lot of those guys who said they 'wouldn't play for him' ::FredTaylorcoughcough:: now say that he was the best coach they ever had, and Coughlin is a lock for the Hall.

I may attend when Coughlin is elected. It would be worth the four hour drive.

yeah, that, and supposedly the 'players wouldn't play for him'

flash forward twelve years, and a lot of those guys who said they 'wouldn't play for him' ::FredTaylorcoughcough:: now say that he was the best coach they ever had, and Coughlin is a lock for the Hall.

I may attend when Coughlin is elected. It would be worth the four hour drive.

I have no idea why people said players didn't play for him. Even during the 6-10 seasons, his teams never quit.

Now, his strength and training regime needed to be updated from 1955, but there's no doubt he was a great X's and O's guy, and a really good motivator.

They were also the reason Coughlin got fired in Jacksonville.

Were they? I think that would be a first in NFL history to get fired over player injuries. I'll take the opportunity to make a prediction on Giants injuries going forward. Number might be lower by the end of this season, I like to wait till the end of a season. The injuries are going to creep back up as the pressure builds on the team again.

I have no idea why people said players didn't play for him. Even during the 6-10 seasons, his teams never quit.

Now, his strength and training regime needed to be updated from 1955, but there's no doubt he was a great X's and O's guy, and a really good motivator.

There were some prominent guys who lost faith. I don't know if it really affected their effort, they're all pros after all.

Were they? I think that would be a first in NFL history to get fired over player injuries. I'll take the opportunity to make a prediction on Giants injuries going forward. Number might be lower by the end of this season, I like to wait till the end of a season. The injuries are going to creep back up as the pressure builds on the team again.

It's true you don't "fire over injuries" but one certainly affects the other. You lose more games when your best players are out, and Coughlin's M.O. has always been to have a training regimen where a large number of his players end up on I.R. or are injured for significant portions of the season.

Palmieri had this problem in Jacksonville, in New Orleans for the lone season he was there, and for his entire stint with the Giants. He's replaced and voila... less injuries. I guess time will tell but early returns seem to be that it wasn't "bad luck" for 20 years, it was the conditioning program.

Yes he would have. He has made every right call with the game coming down the wire. Coughlin never did.

The problem was the defense couldnt stop a 3rd and 20 and the offense couldnt pick up a 3rd and 1 last year.

Only one of these problems have been fixed this year and it isnt the offense.

I don't think MacAttack is a better decision maker by any means, and Coughlin would have a similar or equal record if he was still coaching this team.

If anyone deserves praise for the team where it is now it's Spags, he's defense has been able to win games and finish them when last year it was a complete 180.

MacAttacks "success" has been on the fact that Odell can take a five yard slant and turn it into a 60+ yard TD, he's still made horrible play calling inside the last 4 minutes of the game in terms of giving the opponent more time to work with.

I mean the last Dallas game they got the ball back what? 4 times in the last five minutes.

Agreed. Many of TC's decisions offensively, late in games, were based on his utter lack of confidence in the defense.....and looking at the empirical evidence - 31st in points against, 32nd in yards against - it's hard to blame him Going for the TD instead of taking the FG against the Jets comes to mind, for instance. Given the substandard roster he had to work with, it's a miracle some of those games were as close as they were!

The problem was the defense couldnt stop a 3rd and 20 and the offense couldnt pick up a 3rd and 1 last year.

Only one of these problems have been fixed this year and it isnt the offense.

I don't think MacAttack is a better decision maker by any means, and Coughlin would have a similar or equal record if he was still coaching this team.

If anyone deserves praise for the team where it is now it's Spags, he's defense has been able to win games and finish them when last year it was a complete 180.

MacAttacks "success" has been on the fact that Odell can take a five yard slant and turn it into a 60+ yard TD, he's still made horrible play calling inside the last 4 minutes of the game in terms of giving the opponent more time to work with.

I mean the last Dallas game they got the ball back what? 4 times in the last five minutes.

Please. You're talking about a dude who led a middling team for 5 years without sniffing the playoffs. He wouldn't be sniffing them this year, either.