SportsWrath

Eli or the O Line? Or the play calling?

NightFire

Good analysis on game: https://www.reddit.com/r/NYGiants/comments/6zkfsc/eli_or_the_o_line_or_the_play_calling_i_went/

TL;DR that I am taking from the comments:

• OL is bad but not insurmountably bad
  • Eli is skittish and taking as few chances as possible
  • Eli owes Marshall an apology

This is going to be the argument. We saw it happen already. It's started. It goes like this; "Eli is no good!" and then the response below it is; "How could he be, the line is dog shit!" and finally, "it doesn't matter anyway because Tom Sullivan is an idiot." And then there's discussion of if Sullivan even does anything.

So I looked at everything over and over again. Well, up until a certain point...you'll see.

The pictures got a little screwed up but I think I fixed them.

My conclusion is at the end, but form your own.

Series 1

• 2nd and 7. Eli doesn’t have any pressure, Engram is his first read and he never comes off of him. Perkins was coming open out of the backfield, one more read and the play is likely a first down. picture

• 3rd and and 5. Eli’s first read is Marshall on a slant, (routes) it’s traded off nicely by the Dallas zone though Marshall is open initially. Eli hesitates, with reason, that pass could result in less than the yardage needed for a first down. 2nd read is Vereen coming under Marshall, Dallas does a good job of trading this as well, and Marshall came open yet again (image). Eli is sacked by Lawrence who ran a stunt and came inside, Hart picked up Jerry’s guy but Jerry (no surprise here, I’m expecting to see this a lot) did a horrible job of trading. It’s curious already, to me, that Richburg is doubling Pugh’s guy. It's also frustrating that Eli seems to be guessing on what his protection is...and guessing wrong a lot through this game.

Series 2

• Screen to Perkins. Pugh misses a block that ultimately doesn’t kill the play but it’s a block he needs to make. The tackle comes from the MLB and WLB. It seems as though Ellison should have looked for one of those 2 but released to the other side on a route. All in all though, 5 yards on first down is good enough. [Picture]()

• 2nd and 5. Playaction, the linebackers are held nicely by the play action fake and the safety moves up. Hart’s player stays back in coverage and he doesn’t find a guy to hit, in this case, it’s okay. The problem comes from Jerry who allows his man to beat him to the inside on a 2nd effort. Eli steps up and has room to throw but completely misfires, throwing into the ground in front of Perkins, who had a likely first down. Ellison takes on the DE by himself and is successful. Eli definitely rushed the throw despite the pressure, he stepped up beyond the pressure. You can see the room Eli had to reestablish his feet or even run in the picture.

• 3rd and 5 – Hart and Jerry get beat right away. Hart does a good enough job of getting his guy off the mark though, and he recovers, the problem is that Eli has to step up into Jerry and the mess that he is. It throws Eli way off and he doesn’t recover, which is a problem. Jerry got called for holding on this play, which didn’t look like a hold, he’s player was washed out as Pugh comes over and cleans him up. Why Pugh? Because again, despite it being a problem already, Richburg is helping Pugh and not Jerry. I don’t know if that’s a design flaw or maybe Richburg is more comfortable moving left, it’s something to watch though for sure. These are plays where Eli used to be better though. He’d come out of the scrum and make something happen. He’s been given a 2nd chance on the play and yet, he can’t compose himself. Eli takes his eyes off Shepard who is in a clear mismatch with Lee, Shepard gets behind him and a quick floater would be a first down and more, about to make the move here but Eli comes off of him and throws, poorly, to the outside. Vereen had no chance to make the catch but Jerry’s holding means it doesn’t matter anyway.

Series 3

• Play 2 – 10 yard pass gain to Shepard on a fake reverse. Eli had time to look down field here. It doesn’t matter, it’s a first down play but the picture you see is the pocket. There is nobody even close to Eli and yet he gets antsy and starts to move around too much, rather than looking down field he starts to move up and dumps it off. He had another 2 seconds to make a decision but he’s too anxious to do that. Again Ellison completely runs the DE out of the play. He’s a stud pass blocker.

• I’m showing this running play because it shows what we do wrong in run blocking. There are 4 Giants players blocking 2 Cowboys and the 2nd level guys are completely untouched. It’s not a good thing. Picture

• First off, Richburg goes right to help Jerry, and it does help! The Cowboys run a delayed blitz over a stunt on the left side of our line. Flowers does a good job of passing the stunting player to Pugh who got turned around but still does enough to get in the way. What’s the picture? Eli locks in on Shepard right off the bat, never comes off him, and he’s literally the only receiver running a route that doesn’t go beyond the sticks. It’s impossible to see from this angle what happens with Marshall but he’s in one on one coverage and runs beyond the markers. But Eli doesn’t look at him. He has ample time to do so if he wanted though. The pressure is closing in but the second picture shows that he had time to look to a 2nd receiver, or start with Marshall while he knows he has Shepard over the middle with Lee as a safety valve. Bad read and a hurried throw. Pic

Series 4

• The series starts with a Darkwa run, the lineman get a hat on a hat here. There was never once blocking this good on a run in the game up until this point. Hat on a hat, 2nd level secured too.

• We immediately come back with a playaction roll out. It could be a full roll or a half roll, Eli took it as a full roll and never stopped his feet. He doesn’t trust his line at all, he needs to trust them more than he does. Initially he has open receivers but is looking down field, thankfully. Had he stopped his feet he could have driven a ball but he continued a roll out, held the ball too long, which honestly is a nice change, and eventually dumps it to Engram but Richburg is down field for a penalty. This play design is both great and awful. The initial read is deep to Shepard, who apparently wasn’t open and by the time the play ends, Ellison, Engram and Marshall are all within 5 yards of each other. Marshall needs to break out, he’s too savvy of a veteran to stay tight to those other guys but Eli does himself no favors by continuing to roll away – Marshall has to follow him. This picture is while Eli is still moving, it takes 2-3 more seconds before he eventually just throws to Engram - who is more covered by that point.

• Now it’s 1st and 15 after a 5 yard penalty and we run a -1 yard screen to Darkwa. Hart got blown up, Eli’s first read was a WR screen to the left to Marshall but he came back to Darkwa. If Eli waits a second, draws the DE to him for a step then Darkwa has 5 yards if Richburg misses a block on Lee and 15 if he doesn’t. Not Eli’s fault all the way but he deserves a little blame for not making a veteran play and holding it for another beat.

• 2nd and 16 – Eli locks in on Shepard, has a great pocket and completes a nice 3 yard pass on 2nd and 16. 3 yard pass….2nd and 16. I don’t know the route combos, I know Dallas is in zone and they’re giving up passes underneath. I do know that the line blocked well and Eli never looked of Shepard once, actually, he kept his eyes in the zone that he was waiting for Shepard to cross into, again, it’s another play where Marshall’s side of the field doesn’t get a glance.

• 3rd and 13. Dallas drops lineman and rushes 3 with a late blitz from the nickel corner. Pugh and Flowers both fail to see the blitz coming and Engram had a chance to chip him coming off the line but didn’t – that’s a rookie mistake. He’ll stop dancing around those players after some film. The picture is the last moment Eli looks at this side of the field. I can’t say for sure why and I won’t fault him. He could have stayed with this side longer in my opinion but until I can watch the all 22 I don’t know for sure. Eli immediately turns and looks for his safety valve in Vereen, who basically gets no yards and the series is over. Eli has time enough to star down the blitzer’s side of the field where it appears to be a 3 on a 2 situation with Marshall, Engram, and Shepard against a corner and a linebacker, with likely safety help over the top. I think Eli came off this side of the field too soon but I’m willing to be wrong on this one. Hart does a good job as does Richburg on this play.

Series 5

• First play Eli has a nice pocket, not great but the best that can be expected. Steps up nicely and sails it a bit wide on Shepard. There was for sure pressure in Eli’s face from Flower’s guy on an inside bull rush. He maybe should have stepped to the right but either way, a totally completable ball that falls to the ground. I’ll also say Shepard should have caught it but he had to leave his feet for it.

• 2nd and 10 – a nice pass and catch from Eli to Vereen. This picture of Ereck Flowers displays his worst habit. He stabs down with his hands. It’s awful. Whenever he does that he allows a quick punch to his chest to move him off his point. Which is what you see here. This is why Eli’s regression is in question. How often is he assuming this is what’s going on, on his blind side? He seems to assume this is the norm, which it hasn’t been through the first half of this game. This is the worst example of it.

• 3rd and 2. This is the worst play I’ve seen from Eli so far. It’s the pass where he missed Marshall with 1:28 left in the half. Eli shuffles away from ghosts, never sets his feet, and throws an off target duck. The snap was low. But only belt level low, it seemed to surprise Eli and that was enough to set him off for the entire play. gif

Second Half

2nd half series 1

• Play action, good line play. Eli is sacked at 14:55 – meaning he had 4+ seconds to throw. Can’t tell if anyone came open on this film.

• Again, good protection on 2nd and 10. Engram is open right off the bat but Eli never looks to the left side of the field. At this point he’s locked in on Shepard. Wherever he goes, so goes Eli’s eyes. Meaning Marshall and Engram don’t matter in this play. Eventually Eli checks down to Vereen.

• 3rd and 11 – Good protection, Eli is locked in on the right side of the field where Shepard sits low in the zone and allows Lewis to catch a 15 yard pass for first down. Good play all around, maybe the best offensive play all game.

• End around – good play – good blocking by Engram on Lee. Flowers seems to have missed the MLB but it’s impossible to know from the camera angle.

• First down run, Jerry misses his block forcing Perkins to cut into an unblocked LB. Bad wnd level blocking in general on this play.

• 2nd and 9 – Great blitz pickup by Vereen – good line play, good throw and catch, Eli to Shepard for a short gain of about 6 yards.

• 3rd and 3 – this was actually a screen that got blown up because Richburg and Pugh were releasing and Pugh lost his guy at the snap. Luckily Engram was coming across the middle wide open and Eli made a nice adjustment and got him the ball for a first down. The reason he was so open is that Lee vacated his zone when he saw the screen emerging. First down!

• It’s first and 10 and the Giants are moving the ball finally. On a play action from about the 30 Eli diagnosis the coverage and pre-snap he knows he’s going to Shepard. There is never a doubt, he starts looking at him before the fake handoff even happens. It’s tough to fault him, he diagnosis that right but had he been looking around he would have seen Marshall gets a step on his guy right away. It could be a TD – or at least a deeper ball attempt which the Giants really needed at some point. But Shepard does get open and make the catch. These are the plays where we need a better Eli though. He needs to see all of his receivers, which he isn’t. If OBJ where at the WR1 spot, this would have been a TD. - Here's Marhsall starting to separate

• Fake reverse screen the other way to Vereen for a first down. Good all around.

• Toss left, Hart, who is away from the play, completely whiffs on a cut block and his guy makes the play. Pretty well blocked otherwise though. It sure is fun having a full back again. Smith picks up Sean Lee – he didn’t destroy him but it’s a great block all the same.

• First down pass to the 5. Eli was locked in on Shepard again but this time it’s good he was because pressure comes quickly up the middle as both Richburg and Jerry are pushed into Eli’s lap right away. All curls and short routes, this is a place they could hit high and go low but it seems that this line doesn’t do that for whatever reason. The ball was snapped two seconds before this picture.

• 1st and goal – shotgun run to Perkins. The Cowboys were running a stunt blitz that brought the LBs crashing towards Flowers and Pugh while the DE/T ran parallel to their left. Unfortunately it seems like Dallas had the perfect play called. The only hope was Perkins cutting hard to the right. Also, noticing on run plays Engram tends to put his hand on the T’s ass in front of him. Just a tell I’m noticing.

• 2nd and goal – Flowers misses, Jerry Misses, Richburg doesn’t try to block anyone and Hart misses. This is 100% on the line and this is 100% why Eli has zero chill in the pocket. Pugh decided to block, soooo….he’ll probably sign somewhere else next year

• 3rd and goal from the 13 yard line. Just about as bad of a situation as you can have. The line holds up really well and again a really nice job of Pugh and Flowers handing off a D/T twist. They’re pretty good at that. I like what I’m seeing. Eli is jumpy from the last play though, theres no doubt about that. What I really hate is that 1 receiver is in the endzone. Every other WR is at least 5 yards short of the goal line, including Lewis who makes the catch on a poorly thrown ball, going to the ground at about the 8 yard line. 5 yard play when 13 yards were needed.

2nd half – 2nd series

• Eli throws the ball 55-60 yards in the air, didn’t look too difficult for him. It was a well protected snap and Eli took a chance to a covered Marshall, he didn’t quite get it to the sidelines for Marshall to have a chance, he needed another 4 yards to get it there, and it didn’t happen. Also, Engram was wide open over the middle getting behind the LB’s and in front of the safeties but Eli missed him. You can see him here

• Eli comes off his initial read (Shepard) and hits Ellison in the flat for 8 yards.

• Darkwa has a nice power run for first down. Cowboys sold out to stop the run but Darkwa just ran into people and kept his legs moving. Something we don’t see from any other back on our roster. But the team also seemed to block better when Darkwa was out there in this game.

• 12 players in the formation. It’s only 5 yards but our offense isn’t good enough to overcome shit like that.

• Again, it’s 1st and 15. The protection is fine but Eli is completely locked in on his pre-snap read, this time it’s Engram. At the top of the screen, Marshall is open. He’s 5 yards further down field and Engram is coming back to the ball with no chance at YAC. Marshall is alone with YAC opportunities but Eli is far, far too jumpy. It’s a 5 yard gain with a very high opportunity lost price tag. Picture

• Very next play, Eli is locked in on the right side of the play yet again and despite good protection he never checks the backside, and Shepard comes open late. Not a bad play, Eli’s taking the shortest route yet again though, after never looking at any other receiver. There is no gun slinger in Eli anymore, the days of him waiting the extra second and getting a bigger play is behind him. Listen, it wouldn't be an easy throw but at this point in the game it's time to take some chances

• Eli comes to his third read on this play and then makes a bad throw. He’s locked on the right side before the snap, and eventually he comes off of them and finds Engram with some space on the back side but he throws wide right and Engram almost makes a great catch. Eli put the ball in the only spot the defense could make a play. Luckily Pugh got beat late and there was a roughing the passer call.

• On first down, Ellison completely misses a block that FB Smith had been making on Lee all night, or at least when given the chance. Loss of 2.

• Hart gets pushed back into Eli who throws a high wobbly ball over the middle, too tall for Lewis and it almost gets picked. Not a good snap for Hart but his player didn’t touch Eli. Eli had room to slide right or step up, he did neither.

• This is the play everyone remembers, Eli is forced to step up and ends up throwing left to a wide open Marshall but completely misses him in the left flats. Eli’s mechanics on this are horrible, he jump stops and doesn’t square his shoulders. He’s flustered.

2nd half – Series 3

• 1 and 10. Hart gets beat forcing Eli to step up into the place where Flowers got beat and Eli drops a dime to Engram down the left sideline. This is the Eli we need. 28-32 yard gain. Great, vintage Eli play.

• The next play Eli comes back, with zero pressure and throws it directly to the Cowboys...which is also pretty vintage Eli if you're being honest with yourself.

My conclusion. This o-line stinks. We all know it stinks. But the person who thinks it stinks worse than even us is Eli Manning and that's a huge problem. It looks like, at times, he's playing to not get hurt. And that's not going to be enough for us. Better QBs overcome worse lines. Seattle has a way worse line than we do but unfortunately Eli accentuates the problems with this line.

It looks to me that we're dealing with a shell shocked version of the Eli we all love. He's half Eli and half David Carr. He needs to overcome that or it's going to be a really long year.

John Jerry has gone from our 2nd best lineman to our worst. With a fucking bullet. So that means that Hart and Flowers have actually improved, while Jerry has regressed. He should be replaced.

The play calling isn't great. Far too often we're not even running routes past the sticks. At a certain point I can't figure out if we're trying to protect Eli from the line or protect Eli from Eli. He doesn't seem willing to move beyond his first read and his first read is often a check down.

I'm willing to give the play calling a break until OBJ is back though. This game was on Eli. There will absolutely be games on the Line, this wasn't one of them.

When has John Jerry been the second best offensive lineman on this roster? Never

Will someone bring up the lack of a running game? Should have carried 2 punters because we punt more than we run. 3 RB's splitting 10 carries.

What was the gameplan outside of the get the ball to Odell Beckham jr.? Pass the ball around till someone gets hot.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so I will also not bother with reading the series breakdown. The second best player on the offense is Evan Engram who ran the same plays Tye did that do not utilize his speed. Giants should have ran the offense through Engram. Ben McAdoo learned halfway through his first year as the offensive coordinator for the NY Giants to just get the ball to Beckham jr. He hasn't learned anything else since then.

I agree with this article.

Marshall wasnt a non factor Eli just went back to his old ways of over throwing 6'6'' WRs like he did back when he had Plax.

The Oline wasnt horrible but guys has regressed in the system, could be coaching, could be the players, but something isnt getting done.

I will say this and hell I can be quoted on it the rest of my days on here and eat crow if I have to, but the Giants will NEVER win a SB with MacAttack at the helm of the offence.

He may be a good HC but he's an Oline coach who is trying to scheme and plan like he's fucking Bill Walsh. This guy is probably the worst offensive mind in the NFL and for some reason the Gints ownership thought the mother fucker was a guru simply because he spent one season wiping McCarthys ass in Green Bay. He didn't learn a fucking thing from him.

Look at the Packers their Oline is probably in worse shape if not as bad as shape as the Giants, now look at the game plans. The Packers use movement and quick passes utilizing the ability of their offensive weapons to beat one on one matchups and create mismatches. No one can tell me the Packers have more talent on offense than the Giants by a large margin.

The Giants have a QB who can win in this league, the best WR in the NFL plus others who have shown flashes, an Oline that isnt the worst in the NFL and many other teams have to operate with the same bullshit, and a slew of RBs who have shown that they might not be Barry Sanders but they can pick up the yards when they have the blocking.

It's pretty much the exact same thing the Packers are dealing with but they are having different results, a spotty mediocre Oline, no real RB star (hell they are using a WR as their main RB), and a bunch of WRs who can get the job done but no one on the level of OBJ. This is the team that that "MacAttack learned his stuff from", however he failed to learn how to actual gameplan or coach a fucking offensive unit.

MacAttack just decided to throw a bunch of fake hand off/end arounds like it's going to fool the fucking defense every time he runs it and not expect pressure to be in Eli's face the moment he turns around.

This guy will NEVER lead the Giants to the SB until he is forced to give up the play calling/game planning duties on offense.

Eli needs to go back to not over throwing WRs by three fucking feet as well, would help a bit too.

Maybe Eli doesnt have any trust in his coaches system, I mean I wouldn't if the whole gameplan is "force it to OBJ and hope he breaks a run off"

/rant over.

Still 15 weeks to go, lots of football to be played, hopefully MacAttack is stripped of playcalling/game planning duties by week three or four, and Eli can get away from being so gun shy.

PS.

Seriously is MacAttack so fucking dumb that he cant begin to fathom a game plan not including OBJ?

JR better throw a 300 million dollar contract at Odell because without him apparently our guru of a game planning genius HC needs him for 99.9% of the game plan to work.

This is the HC that we have for the next few years.

Holy fuck.

/rant over....again.

I agree with this article.

Marshall wasnt a non factor Eli just went back to his old ways of over throwing 6'6'' WRs like he did back when he had Plax.

The Oline wasnt horrible but guys has regressed in the system, could be coaching, could be the players, but something isnt getting done.

I will say this and hell I can be quoted on it the rest of my days on here and eat crow if I have to, but the Giants will NEVER win a SB with MacAttack at the helm of the offence.

He may be a good HC but he's an Oline coach who is trying to scheme and plan like he's fucking Bill Walsh. This guy is probably the worst offensive mind in the NFL and for some reason the Gints ownership thought the mother fucker was a guru simply because he spent one season wiping McCarthys ass in Green Bay. He didn't learn a fucking thing from him.

Look at the Packers their Oline is probably in worse shape if not as bad as shape as the Giants, now look at the game plans. The Packers use movement and quick passes utilizing the ability of their offensive weapons to beat one on one matchups and create mismatches. No one can tell me the Packers have more talent on offense than the Giants by a large margin.

The Giants have a QB who can win in this league, the best WR in the NFL plus others who have shown flashes, an Oline that isnt the worst in the NFL and many other teams have to operate with the same bullshit, and a slew of RBs who have shown that they might not be Barry Sanders but they can pick up the yards when they have the blocking.

It's pretty much the exact same thing the Packers are dealing with but they are having different results, a spotty mediocre Oline, no real RB star (hell they are using a WR as their main RB), and a bunch of WRs who can get the job done but no one on the level of OBJ. This is the team that that "MacAttack learned his stuff from", however he failed to learn how to actual gameplan or coach a fucking offensive unit.

MacAttack just decided to throw a bunch of fake hand off/end arounds like it's going to fool the fucking defense every time he runs it and not expect pressure to be in Eli's face the moment he turns around.

This guy will NEVER lead the Giants to the SB until he is forced to give up the play calling/game planning duties on offense.

Eli needs to go back to not over throwing WRs by three fucking feet as well, would help a bit too.

Maybe Eli doesnt have any trust in his coaches system, I mean I wouldn't if the whole gameplan is "force it to OBJ and hope he breaks a run off"

/rant over.

Still 15 weeks to go, lots of football to be played, hopefully MacAttack is stripped of playcalling/game planning duties by week three or four, and Eli can get away from being so gun shy.

I completely concur. I think Coughlin masked McAdoo's issues well and now we are witnessing the real ineptitude. Many posters on reddit blame Sullivan but McAdoo is the HC and can get him to call whatever system and plays he wants. This is definitely McAdoo's system and it's garbage.

Also my favourite picture/cringe is the "blocking" on that jailbreak at the goal line. The circle red is the only blocker Pugh. It'd be comical if it weren't so sad.

rGmDP16.png

The ironic thing is that most of us wanted Gilly out because he was too stubborn, and didn't realize with a shitty O-line you have to make adjustments, go to a short passing game, and not have your QB hold onto the ball for five seconds every play.

McAdoo looked like he understood that you have to change the scheme to fit your players at first... but now it looks like he may not have understood that so much as his scheme fit the players in that place and time. I sure haven't seen a whole lot of adjustments lately to fit the personnel, especially on the O-line. This is a finesse group of blockers, not power guys... where are the traps and pulls? Where is the creativity? Why is Evan Engram running 5-yard crossing patterns when he's arguably the fastest TE in the league?

Thinking about the last five years what has changed on the offense? Same QB, RB committee of NFL backups, an inconsistent offensive line, upgrades at WR and TE. The play calling has changed and that is a mixed bag.

McAdoo does love his TE's running those short routes. If Will Tye can run them then Evan Engram can run them too and faster.

Same results.