SportsWrath

What positions the Giants can target in the offseason.

Sephiroth

Unlike the last 15 off seasons LB isnt a concern to me, draft acouple guys and see if you get lucky but as it stands I'm happy with the current LB group and there are more pressing needs.

I think the biggest areas of need are the OL, TE, WR, DL in that order.

I hope they go after a decent guard/tackle in FA, as well as maybe a TE/WR.

Use the draft to grab some OL and DL depth, both lines need to be improved IMO.

It all depends on who leaves and who they resign, but as it stands I want them to invest more into the Oline and Dline (pass rushers mainly).

I think Shepard will be fine on the outside in his second year and will draw coverage away from Odell, but a vet like Britt would help as well.

Also take the playcalling duties away from MacAttack.

I'd be very surprised if they put Shephard on the outside. He's a slot guy, that's where he played in college, it's his natural position. I'm guessing the Giants will want him to do what he does best.

I'd be very surprised if they put Shephard on the outside. He's a slot guy, that's where he played in college, it's his natural position. I'm guessing the Giants will want him to do what he does best.

Everyone said the same thing about Nicks, Smith, Odell, Cruz, Randle, etc, etc.

The Gints move guy around everywhere and Shepard has everything he need to play on the outside.

The Gints move guy around everywhere and Shepard has everything he need to play on the outside.

This, I'm surprised they haven't flipped Cruz and Shepard yet. Don't think Shepard knows enough of the playbook yet though.

Not for nothing but....out of the league (Nicks), out of the league(Smith), 3rd year in(Odell), two straight years injured and barley in league(Cruz), out of the league(Randle).

Might be a reason some guys are slot guys and some are outside guys.

i dont even want to start thinking about the offseason until March ................its just nice for the Giants to be alive in Dec for once !

That's what I've been telling the old lady. She thinks I'm mad that the Giants lost... I'm just happy I have a reason to watch the next four games.

That's what I've been telling the old lady. She thinks I'm mad that the Giants lost... I'm just happy I have a reason to watch the next four games.

The old me always predicted a 12-4 season.... the realist me now is just happy we're not the Jets.

10-6....they'll underwhelm and back their way into one of the wild-card spots. I'll take it through. Might even win the wild card and slight chance for even the divisional round. Definitely an improvement versus the past several years, and if they just get a decent OL together in the offseason, plus hold the defense together, this team has a real chance next year.

10-6....they'll underwhelm and back their way into one of the wild-card spots. I'll take it through. Might even win the wild card and slight chance for even the divisional round. Definitely an improvement versus the past several years, and if they just get a decent OL together in the offseason, plus hold the defense together, this team has a real chance next year.

I was serious when I said we need the exact same things as five years ago.

Road grading guard, starting caliber MLB, good running back.

Not for nothing but....out of the league (Nicks), out of the league(Smith), 3rd year in(Odell), two straight years injured and barley in league(Cruz), out of the league(Randle).

Might be a reason some guys are slot guys and some are outside guys.

This makes absolutely zero sense.

You're saying the reason those guys were injured/done was because of where they lined up at WR?

My only point, I don't think outside receivers and slot receivers are the same position and that a certain skill set is required for each one, and that they are different skills. And I don't think just because a guy could succeed at playing outside means he should.

I think the point is that slot and outside receivers are not as interchangeable as you seem to think. Maybe you're right, maybe he does move outside but I doubt it. I believe Shephard will be an outstanding slot guy but only a fair wide out....and if he moves outside, I doubt they'll find anybody as good as him in the slot, so in effect, you're weakening two positions. Also. Nicks, Randle and Odell were always outside guys.

I've saved you all the trouble of posting in this thread and instead chosen to just link to what we've been asking for the last five offseasons.

We have our MLB of the future in Goodson. He is going to be a great pro. In the meantime, Robinson is playing well. Although Robinson and Sheppard are free agents after this season. I think Robinson should be a priority re-signing. Casillas, Kennard, and J.T. Thomas are still under contract but all of them will be entering contract years next season. Herzlich will be a free agent after this year. He's a good special teamer and I wouldn't be opposed bringing him back at the min. Draft a linebacker if the value is there, but I think they should target the weakside linebacker spot, because I believe Goodson is the long term answer.

At Center and Guard, you're kidding right? Those positions are the strength of the OL. Richburg is still a top-quality center, and Jerry has had a very good season, and Pugh an even better one. Hart has developed into a steady RT, but on the line, they need to upgrade LT and then move Flowers to the right side, make Hart the swing tackle. Newhouse and Beatty are free agents after this season.

At RB, I think we do need to get another guy to complement Perkins. There are a lot of great choices this year and I think very good, tough, between the tackles runners will be found in the 4th round or even later. Not sure where he's going yet, but I am a big fan of Gallman from Clemson as a fit for the Giants.

To me, the priority positions for the Giants are WR (replace Cruz on the outside), DE if JPP walks in free agency, LT, and DT if Hankins is not re-signed. In the next two drafts, they need to get a replacement to groom for life after Eli. They will also need another corner for depth, and probably another swing DT.

I highly doubt the Giants will re-sign both Hankins and JPP. I hope they find a way, but if they let one of them walk, they need an impact player to step in next year, and I'm not sure if they have that guy on the roster.

At Center and Guard, you're kidding right? Those positions are the strength of the OL. Richburg is still a top-quality center, and Jerry has had a very good season, and Pugh an even better one. Hart has developed into a steady RT, but on the line, they need to upgrade LT and then move Flowers to the right side, make Hart the swing tackle. Newhouse and Beatty are free agents after this season.

Richburg doesn't even look like the same guy this year, Jim. That post was five years old and I'm willing to give Richburg another season but he looks like a B-, C+ kinda guy this season. Last year I loved him; I don't know what the hell happened.

Pugh looks serviceable when he plays but he doesn't play very often and gets owned by bigger DTs. He's a B, B- guy but at least he plays all over the line.

John Jerry is much improved, which means he's upgraded to a B- to C+ player.

Let's put it this way...when it's third-and-one, who is the one guy you feel good running behind? You can get by with one or even two average guys if you have a real playmaker in the midde of your line, but we just don't have that guy.

As far as pass blocking goes overall, these guys aren't much better. Eli makes them all look better than they really are... he moves pretty well in the pocket, but many times he's being hit, hurried, and running for his life back there. Don't get me started on Flowers; I'm no longer a believer, at least at LT.

We need a difference-maker on the line. Right now we don't have one.

Richburg doesn't even look like the same guy this year, Jim. That post was five years old and I'm willing to give Richburg another season but he looks like a B-, C+ kinda guy this season. Last year I loved him; I don't know what the hell happened.

Pugh looks serviceable when he plays but he doesn't play very often and gets owned by bigger DTs. He's a B, B- guy but at least he plays all over the line.

John Jerry is much improved, which means he's upgraded to a B- to C+ player.

Let's put it this way...when it's third-and-one, who is the one guy you feel good running behind? You can get by with one or even two average guys if you have a real playmaker in the midde of your line, but we just don't have that guy.

As far as pass blocking goes overall, these guys aren't much better. Eli makes them all look better than they really are... he moves pretty well in the pocket, but many times he's being hit, hurried, and running for his life back there. Don't get me started on Flowers; I'm no longer a believer, at least at LT.

We need a difference-maker on the line. Right now we don't have one.

I wouldn't give up on Richburg at this point. And I think Pugh, who I think you may be discounting a bit because we've been missing him for a few weeks, is an 'A' player at LG. Jerry, yeah, we could use a guy there but I think he's good for the immediate future. But LT is my premium upgrade on this line. Move Flowers to RT and hope to hell he has more success there, and I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading RG.

I am changing my off-season priorities from TWO OL to THREE OL.

I think we need to sign at least a T (assuming a starting capable LT is available, then move Flowers to RT) and a starting capable G/C (John Jerry, Newhouse need not apply), while also drafting one lineman early in the draft (i.e. find one lineman in rounds 1-3).

We need to assume Richburg is the starting center next season, but long term try to replace him. I agree with Seph. He's C + to B - at best.

OT

TE

WR

OG

QB

Pretty much in that order for me. I think Jennings/Perkins can hold the fort for another year. I think we've been lacking a TE for some time. Whomever is brought in, absolutely needs to be able to be a blocker AND receiver. If the guy brought in can't be at least functional in both roles, then just stick with what we have. At WR, it's pretty clear Cruz is done. Either Eli lost enough rapport/trust in him or Cruz has slowed to the point of being ineffective...either way, he's not helping this offense anymore. I included an OG on this list simply because Jerry is getting long in the tooth and infusing youth on the line is crucial for long term success. And lastly, Eli isn't going to last forever. And if his skills truly are slipping the way some seem to believe or if he has been rated higher than he's actually played as others believe...end of the day, he's probably got another 3 or 4 years tops. At the very least, we're at the very beginning of the grooming his replacement window.