SportsWrath

Chip Kelly as Eagles HC

Storm

WTF? Like I said in another thread, he thought nobody in the NFL wanted him, so he saved face by saying I am returning to Oregon, like it was his decision. Then when the Eagles weren't impressed with anybody else they went back to him and said OK.

Huge adjustment from where he was to where he's going. His success will hinge on whether or not he can adjust to the personnel he has in Philly because I don't see the guys they have now running Oregon's offense effectively at the NFL level.

Assuming that his intent is to run Oregon's offense at the NFL level you'd be right, but Bellicheck seems to think he's onto something and Kelly LOVES Foles.

Holy shit....I just discovered this forum. Nice.

I figured it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Now I won't be able to whine "we should have a general NFL section for stuff like this" anymore.

Assuming that his intent is to run Oregon's offense at the NFL level you'd be right, but Bellicheck seems to think he's onto something and Kelly LOVES Foles.

That's my point. If he crams his Oregon system (see Square Peg) into the Eagles personnel (see Circular Hole), it won't work. So he has to adjust in one of two ways. First, he could acquire the personnel to run his system. This, I think (and hope) would be a colossal failure. His Oregon teams relied heavily upon speed and the fact that his team was faster than the rest. At the NFL level, everyone is fast. A given team at the NFL level doesn't have the same speed advantages that Oregon had over its opponents. Maybe here or there you get a favorable match up, but not something so large that it'd translate into multiple wins as it did at Oregon. Secondly, and I believe the more appropriate and better option for the Eagles, would be for Kelly to change up his system somewhat to accomodate for the guys he has on the Eagles. If Kelly can make this adjustment, install some new wrinkles and get guys into positions to make plays...only then will this coaching hire be successful.

That's my point. If he crams his Oregon system (see Square Peg) into the Eagles personnel (see Circular Hole), it won't work. So he has to adjust in one of two ways. First, he could acquire the personnel to run his system. This, I think (and hope) would be a colossal failure. His Oregon teams relied heavily upon speed and the fact that his team was faster than the rest. At the NFL level, everyone is fast. A given team at the NFL level doesn't have the same speed advantages that Oregon had over its opponents. Maybe here or there you get a favorable match up, but not something so large that it'd translate into multiple wins as it did at Oregon. Secondly, and I believe the more appropriate and better option for the Eagles, would be for Kelly to change up his system somewhat to accomodate for the guys he has on the Eagles. If Kelly can make this adjustment, install some new wrinkles and get guys into positions to make plays...only then will this coaching hire be successful.

For the record, he wasn't MY first choice, but he has already stated that he knows he can't bring his Oregon game to Philly so it sounds like he's on the right track.

For the record, he wasn't MY first choice, but he has already stated that he knows he can't bring his Oregon game to Philly so it sounds like he's on the right track.

At the same time, admitting that he can or that he will try to bring the Oregon game to Philly would give all his future opponents lots of game tape to study. Whereas, keeping his cards close to his chest so that opponents don't know what they're going to get...gives Kelly the advantage. I'll be really interested to see how quick the offense moves and whether or not the players are conditioned well enough at the pro level to be able to handle it.

At the same time, admitting that he can or that he will try to bring the Oregon game to Philly would give all his future opponents lots of game tape to study. Whereas, keeping his cards close to his chest so that opponents don't know what they're going to get...gives Kelly the advantage. I'll be really interested to see how quick the offense moves and whether or not the players are conditioned well enough at the pro level to be able to handle it.

He just nailed his first presser. I liked what I heard... A LOT.

I think Andy is a good coach, but it was time for a change. Similar to what happened with Lovie Smith.

Kelly is a sharp cat.

Andy was a GREAT coach for us, but this season you could see it in his eyes. He was done. The lights were burning bright but nobody was home. I think he'll do well for KC, and I wish him all the best, but it was time to go.

Any rumors that Vick will stay now? Dude can't even stay healthy in a conventional offense. What's he gonna do in a read option offense?

Kelly wouldn't definitively say one way or the other but he had a lot of praise for Foles and kept remarking about the "youthful talent" on the team. Vick's contract and performance this season pretty much sealed his fate IMO.

Everything I've heard from people who know a lot more about Kelly than I do, say that his offense at Oregon isn't necessarily going to be the offense he runs in the NFL. What they say is he is adaptable, and will design an offense around the talent around him.

Everything I've heard from people who know a lot more about Kelly than I do, say that his offense at Oregon isn't necessarily going to be the offense he runs in the NFL. What they say is he is adaptable, and will design an offense around the talent around him.

Yup. That's what he said in his presser.