SportsWrath

New Giants D.C.

Virginia Giant

Source: James Bettcher joining Giants as defensive coordinator

12:42 AM ET

Pat Shurmur has his defensive coordinator and the New York Giants have the defensive help they've needed.

The Giants agreed to hire former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher late Tuesday night, a source told ESPN. Bettcher met with the Giants in Mobile, Alabama, on Tuesday afternoon, while he was in town for the Senior Bowl.

Bettcher also interviewed with and received an offer from the Tennessee Titans to be their defensive coordinator, the source said.

ADVEThe 39-year-old Bettcher wasn't retained by new Cardinals coach Steve Wilks, who was hired Monday.

Bettcher, who joined the Cardinals in 2013 as their outside linebackers coach and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2015 after Todd Bowles vacated the position to become the New York Jets' head coach, has a track record of blitz-happy, solid run defenses.

That's welcomed news for the Giants, who finished this season ranked 31st in yards allowed per game and passing yards per game, and 27th in rushing yards per game. The Giants were also ranked 31st in point differential per game and yard differential per game.

Bettcher led the Cardinals' defense to a top-10 ranking in the past three years. The only other team to accomplish that feat was the Denver Broncos.

Under Bettcher, the Cardinals allowed the fewest yards per rush (3.67) and forced the most fumbles (60) since 2015, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They also had the seventh-most sacks during that stretch with 121, compared with the Giants, whose 85 were the fewest in the NFL.

Bettcher's defenses blitzed at the second-highest rate in the NFL over the past three seasons. The Giants had the 17th-highest blitz rate over the span.

Bettcher interviewed for the Cardinals' head-coaching job, as well.

I'm shamefully unfamiliar with his D. Anybody watch any AZ lately?

Sounds like a good track record though.

Arizona recent success and runs into the playoffs have been built around their defense.

A real aggressive attacking hybrid type of defense, that would constantly switch up the front seven in either 4-3 or 3-4.

Wonder if this means the Giants will be playing more 3-4 hopefully.

Also the more I think about this, the more likely it is the Giants are moving to a 3-4.

I guess Bettcher has taken teams from a 4-3 to a 3-4 a number of times.

I think Vernon could play standing up.

I think he can too. Hes got the motor for it

Also the more I think about this, the more likely it is the Giants are moving to a 3-4.

I guess Bettcher has taken teams from a 4-3 to a 3-4 a number of times.

I think Vernon could play standing up.

yeah, I've been reading up this morning, and I have to say.... exciting stuff. Love what I'm reading.

I don't wanna be the negative one here, and really Im not, I think its a good hire. However I gotta question what this means. We are a long way off personnel wise to run a 3-4. If they do it anyway, it could be a long year for the defense, and maybe a very short year for Eli because of it. Especially if they take a QB with the second pick. Eli will end up like Warner.

In the long term, assuming Shurmur isn't fired in the first two years, Bettcher could end up being a great hire. I just question if now is the right time to completely change the D. Seems more like a long term move then a short term move.

At least he has a cool name. I can see it now, "Bettcher ass they are gonna make the playoffs." lol

I don't wanna be the negative one here, and really Im not, I think its a good hire. However I gotta question what this means. We are a long way off personnel wise to run a 3-4. If they do it anyway, it could be a long year for the defense, and maybe a very short year for Eli because of it. Especially if they take a QB with the second pick. Eli will end up like Warner.

In the long term, assuming Shurmur isn't fired in the first two years, Bettcher could end up being a great hire. I just question if now is the right time to completely change the D. Seems more like a long term move then a short term move.

At least he has a cool name. I can see it now, "Bettcher ass they are gonna make the playoffs." lol

are they that far off though? Vernon and Kennard are good fits for OLB, JPP would move to 3-4 DE. Defensive tackles, we're pretty strong there, the rest of the DL is set. Goodson will be one ILB, hopefully he can stay healthy. That leaves one more ILB for 1st down and other running situations, otherwise they'll be in nickel most of the time. Hopefully Keenan Robinson is back, he may be a good fit in this D too as an ILB.

And I'm sure Landon Collins is hyped.

For some reason I cant quote here NSA, but I gotta say my greatest concern would be LBer. We are not completely lost there, but we are still a ways off from the talent level we'd need. I agree though, Collins is loving this right now.

8 D sometimes that's just the way it goes. Drastic changes can often take time.

One good thing, at least for the start of the season, no one has any tape on this Defense. So there will somewhat be the element of surprise

8 D sometimes that's just the way it goes. Drastic changes can often take time.

One good thing, at least for the start of the season, no one has any tape on this Defense. So there will somewhat be the element of surprise

I don't think pat was the right guy. Great OC but that's jt

For some reason I cant quote here NSA, but I gotta say my greatest concern would be LBer. We are not completely lost there, but we are still a ways off from the talent level we'd need. I agree though, Collins is loving this right now.

When was the last time we had LBers worth a damn anyway?