SportsWrath

Josh Hamilton relapsed in January.

Hamilton: 'I hate that this happened'

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton acknowledged a January bar incident Saturday in which he became drunk and was photographed with several women, not including his wife, in lurid poses in Tempe, Ariz.

"I'm embarrassed about it. For the Rangers, I'm embarrassed about it. For my wife, my kids," Hamilton said in a news conference in Anaheim, Calif., where the Rangers played the Angels on Saturday afternoon. "It's one of those things that just reinforces about alcohol. Unfortunately, it happened. It just reinforces to me that if I'm out there getting ready for a season and taking my focus off the most important thing in my recovery, which is my relationship with Christ, it's amazing how those things creep back in.

"Honestly, I hate that this happened. But it is what it is. You deal with it. I realized that, obviously, I'm not perfect, in this ongoing struggle, battle, that is very real. A lot of people don't understand how real it is."

The photos were posted by Deadspin.com on Saturday morning.

Hamilton, 28, won't face discipline from the Rangers as a result of the incident. Hamilton told the team of the incident the next day.

Hamilton was chosen as the No. 1 pick by the Tampa Bay Rays as an 18-year-old in 1999.

Out of baseball for three years while serving suspensions and getting clean, Hamilton reached the majors in 2007 with the Cincinnati Reds. He was traded to Texas in December 2007 for pitcher Edinson Volquez.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

espn.com

deadspin.com with many pics

How do you find yourself in a bar when you're an addict? And how do you allow yourself to get shitfaced and be photographed with women grabbing your crotch and you licking whipped cream off their boobs? Shameful, everyone makes mistakes but this shows very poor judgement.

a) we all know shit happens even when you have the best intentions. you yourself have seen how hard it is to resist temptation.

b} my gut tells me this was not a one time thing.

You're right, I was being harsh, but more out of fear that it wasn't an isolated incident.

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure:

OK, Im confused. He was a METH addict...right? So, he went and got drunk? Big deal. I dont understand. What he did wrong was not relapse, but let some young whores climb all over him while he's married. Did he do meth again? That would be relapsing.

OK, Im confused. He was a METH addict...right? So, he went and got drunk? Big deal. I dont understand. What he did wrong was not relapse, but let some young whores climb all over him while he's married. Did he do meth again? That would be relapsing.

so if i kick a heroin habit and then get strung out on coke, i'm good?

if you're an addict, you need to stay clean- that's part of his rehab.

He was an alcoholic and addict. I read an article on him and he said he drank his first beer and did his first line of coke (or something) in the same day.