SportsWrath

Preseason Week 2: Giants @ Jaguars

Treehugger

Couldn't catch the game last night, was nassib really that good? I'm pleasantly surprised at some of the things I'm reading

He played well, he's obviously taken strides under MacAttacks offense.

The question the Giant's are gonna have to ask is he going to be the ones to take the reigns from Eli or do they trade him because he's gonna want a chance to compete somewhere else.

If he continues to play well and if the Giants ever have a big enough lead to have him come in and maybe throw the ball around, he could be some decent trade bait for a starting O-lineman or a mid round pick imo.

Not to be a downer, but soon you have to decide that it's time to move on from Eli Manning. GB modeled it for organizations. Why wait until you go 3-13 to get your quarterback or trade up and trade away your immediate future by giving up a ton of picks? I'm not saying that Manning is done, by any means. But he's getting up there in age and until he proves he can string together two+ consistent seasons in succession while he's into his mid 30s, you have to consider Nassib's long-term future with the team.

Not to be a downer, but soon you have to decide that it's time to move on from Eli Manning. GB modeled it for organizations. Why wait until you go 3-13 to get your quarterback or trade up and trade away your immediate future by giving up a ton of picks? I'm not saying that Manning is done, by any means. But he's getting up there in age and until he proves he can string together two+ consistent seasons in succession while he's into his mid 30s, you have to consider Nassib's long-term future with the team.

The only problem with Nassib I see is if it's time for Eli to move on, then I imagine Coughlin and maybe even JR are moving on with him.

I don't see a new HC/GM coming in and not wanting to choose their own QB of the franchise/future.

Unless MacAttack is giving the HC role then I can see Nassib being the guy, that is if they chose to move on from Eli.

For the Green Bay model, they moved on when Favre retired. It wasn't their choice.

Nassib is 25. I just think you have to consider the fact that the future QB of your team is already on the roster...I meant more the age at which Rodgers was starting. The Giants have a choice, but it's a choice between potentially sticking by the guy who won you 2 Super Bowls too long or moving on into the future. In two years, if Eli has mediocre seasons, when is it time to move on?

Nassib is 25. I just think you have to consider the fact that the future QB of your team is already on the roster...I meant more the age at which Rodgers was starting. The Giants have a choice, but it's a choice between potentially sticking by the guy who won you 2 Super Bowls too long or moving on into the future. In two years, if Eli has mediocre seasons, when is it time to move on?

In two seasons though, will Nassib still be with the team?

I mean his contract is up at the end of this year I think it is, so I mean does he resign in hopes the Giant's kick Eli out the door? Or does he in all likelihood leave for another team.

More over, does anyone in the organization even feel like Nassib IS the QB of the future, or just been an cheap insurance policy for Eli.

This up coming offseason will be very interesting depending on how the season plays out.

I don't want anything to happen to Eli. But nobody ever thought Peyton would miss games like he did until he did. He was the NFL's Iron Man before Eli. So in the next couple of seasons, we could find out what we really have. Obviously, the kid has some ability. But how is he going to perform against top competition? What about in high leverage situations? There is so much we don't know about him. Life after Eli has to be thought about, but honestly, he's likely still here for the next 5 seasons. It's unlikely Nassib is going to wait that long, and would likely leave in free agency in the middle of Eli's next deal. That is unless he really proves himself and the Giants can trade him and receive something of real value. What I would like to see is him stay through Eli's retirement and take over, I just don't see that as realistic.

In two seasons though, will Nassib still be with the team?

I mean his contract is up at the end of this year I think it is, so I mean does he resign in hopes the Giant's kick Eli out the door? Or does he in all likelihood leave for another team.

More over, does anyone in the organization even feel like Nassib IS the QB of the future, or just been an cheap insurance policy for Eli.

This up coming offseason will be very interesting depending on how the season plays out.

It depends on him. Does he want to be a career backup or a starter? Nothing wrong with being a career backup for Eli Manning and the New York Giants. Might be worth the wait.

Eli Manning was the Super Bowl MVP twice, holds every major passing record for the franchise, and has been a model citizen and class act since day one... not a small feat in the New York Media. Moreover, he's the quarterback for a Mara-owned football team.

He'll leave whenever HE decides to leave.

I finally got to watch the game last night. I didn't think Nassib looked anywhere as good as you guys are saying, not bad but nothing great. Eli, however, looked fucking awful.

Killer game by J.T. Thomas. I hope Spags stays blitz-happy in the regular season too.

I finally got to watch the game last night. I didn't think Nassib looked anywhere as good as you guys are saying, not bad but nothing great. Eli, however, looked fucking awful.

Killer game by J.T. Thomas. I hope Spags stays blitz-happy in the regular season too.

I have it Dvr'd, but have yet to watch it. I checked the stats though and was wondering what these guys were talking about too

One has looked good in preseason in this offense, the other threw for 4400 yds and 30 tds in his first year in this offense.

He didn't for the first 8 weeks of the seasons when it meant the difference between playoffs and playing golf.

He was actually statistically better the first eight games of the season then the final eight games of the season.

Tough to understand that with him throwing 12 touchdown passes to Beckham Jr. over the final 12 weeks or what have you. I guess the 5 INT game against SF really skews that. They had a tough time scoring the first half of the season.

Tough to understand that with him throwing 12 touchdown passes to Beckham Jr. over the final 12 weeks or what have you. I guess the 5 INT game against SF really skews that. They had a tough time scoring the first half of the season.

He had more TD passes in the first half of the season though.

He had more TD passes in the first half of the season though.

16 to 14. His yardage totals are much higher in the second half of the season. Which tells me it took him a while to figure out how to move the football in the new offense.

Moot argument going on. Nassib is not going to start for the Giants. Eli is clearly head and shoulders above anyone else in running this offense. Give him a lot more no-huddle stuff and Im sure this offense is going to look scary good. Odell showed up - rather - volcanic erupted in the second half yes, but Eli was doing quite well without him also. This year, if our OL sticks - which it has to an extent so far in the preseason - I think we should be fine on offense. Its the defense that I worry about.

It may be a moot point, but there's no way Eli Manning should be making top 3 QB money, regardless of his past with this team. And he likely will be, as he becomes what, 36 years old? I'm just saying, the option is there to attempt a rebuild with a guy like Nassib, instead of drafting a QB as high as Manning was drafted and selling 4 years of your team's immediate future down the road. Drafting top 5 overall is not the only way to find a franchise QB.

I don't disagree with you. But barring injury - I don't see Eli handing over the reigns for a good 5 years atleast - he is the current Iron Man in the NFL (touch wood). And with some assistance on defense - this team will certainly contend with him helming the offense. Its not like there is a drastic dip in his performance that we have to think about re-building. That will come a few years down the line. Its the D we need to shore up first. And yeah - I don't think he should be paid as much a Rogers either - but 2 SB MVPs and 2 rings and not a game missed in close to a decade tends to get players paid. He will be paid top money - but its the semantics like upfront, guarantees and incentives that will have a bearing. It will happen and I don't think it is something we need to sweat over.