SportsWrath

Eli Manning wants to be highest-paid player in NFL

Nas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511245/article/eli-manning-wants-to-be-highestpaid-player-in-nfl

Eli Manning wants to be highest-paid player in NFL
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 17, 2015 at 08:08 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 17, 2015 at 08:25 p.m.

Now that Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers have landed long-term contract extensions, the attention turns to another highly decorated member of the 2004 quarterback draft class.

Although the New York Giants hope to sign Eli Manning to a new deal by the start of the season, a "significant gap" remains in negotiations, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday's edition of NFL Total Access.

That gap is unlikely to close anytime soon, as Manning is pushing to become the game's highest-paid player, per Rapoport.

Manning isn't a top-five NFL quarterback, much less on par with 2014 Most Valuable Player Aaron Rodgers, who currently ranks as the league's highest-paid quarterback.

That said, agent Tom Condon believes Manning is "uniquely suited" to be the Giants' quarterback because he's proven unflappable in the media spotlight.

Condon and Manning also realize they are headed for a $25 million payday in 2016 if the Giants are forced to utilize the exclusive franchise tag.

Even if the G-Men dig in their heels and refuse to bypass Rodgers' annual figure of $22 million, they might be able to find common ground by front-loading the contract with guarantees in excess of Rivers' $65 million -- which is several million more than Rodgers pocketed in 2013.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast breaks down Week 1 of the preseason and kicks off a week's worth of spectacular fantasy insight.

i'd pay it. look at all these otherwise good teams in the NFL who can't find a qb.

I'd pay him his market value, which isn't the best in the league. There's a lot of marginal-to-bad players Jerry Reese could sign with Eli's money.

Not a problem.

and like every other qb every time, he will only be highest paid until the next guy gets paid.

also:

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 8m8 minutes ago

Eli Manning reportedly wants to be highest paid QB + somehow this is a shock. You don't negotiate by saying, "I'm ok being 5th best."

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton 8m8 minutes ago

When John Mara came out + said Eli Manning's reps were asking "for the moon" on 2nd day of camp, did we think he meant a Blue Moon? #Giants

0 retweets 0 favorites

i'd pay it. look at all these otherwise good teams in the NFL who can't find a qb.

If your QB salary hamstrings you from signing talent, and keeps you a mediocre team, then it's best to review your finances... A nice chunk of what he's asking for could go towards signing solid guys on the OL to protect him...

You guys need to take a closer look at the guaranteed money.

Given the combination of age (34 now, 35 when extension kicks in), length of extension (4 or 5 years), and the position (franchise QB)...there is a strong liklihood, unless the wheels fall off completely, that he'd play out the extension. And if he does that, guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed doesn't really mean much. About the only thing to consider regarding guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed is the ability for the Giants to cut him down the road. But that brings me back to what I stated first, it's a strong possibility he plays out the extension making it a moot point.

Further, if the guaranteed money is low at $50 million...cutting him even one year early would provide something in the neighborhood of 10 million in dead money, for one player. Certainly there is no way to know what the salary cap will be in 4 or 5 years, but I don't think it matters. $10 million in dead money for one player seems too much.

I'm okay with 18-20 million per year for 4 or 5 years. But he doesn't deserve Aaron Rodgers money. You want to throw incentives in there on top of a 19 million per year average, that's fine by me. So if he does produce on a Rodgers level, he can be paid as such.

Given the combination of age (34 now, 35 when extension kicks in), length of extension (4 or 5 years), and the position (franchise QB)...there is a strong liklihood, unless the wheels fall off completely, that he'd play out the extension. And if he does that, guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed doesn't really mean much. About the only thing to consider regarding guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed is the ability for the Giants to cut him down the road. But that brings me back to what I stated first, it's a strong possibility he plays out the extension making it a moot point.

Further, if the guaranteed money is low at $50 million...cutting him even one year early would provide something in the neighborhood of 10 million in dead money, for one player. Certainly there is no way to know what the salary cap will be in 4 or 5 years, but I don't think it matters. $10 million in dead money for one player seems too much.

I'm okay with 18-20 million per year for 4 or 5 years. But he doesn't deserve Aaron Rodgers money. You want to throw incentives in there on top of a 19 million per year average, that's fine by me. So if he does produce on a Rodgers level, he can be paid as such.

Based on the breakdown I watched today, realistically he would land somewhere in between Rivers and Roethlisberger money wise.

Good ole Tom Condon, looking forward to getting everything he can out of the Giants and succeeding.

I don't care how much Eli Manning gets paid to play per season. Most likely he gets his contract and plays 4 more years.

We have less money for other players: NFL is increasing the salary cap and the majority of the team is signed to short term deals. We have plenty of money.

Eli Manning just isn't worth it: You can say it as many times as you want but you aren't paying him so nobody cares. It just doesn't matter what you think he is worth.

If Eli Manning walks, there is no guaranteed future replacement waiting in the wings. Just a guy we hope can do it. Who is the next franchise QB? Over a dozen teams still haven't found that answer since we drafted Eli Manning and are still looking.

I like Eli but i don't want to see Jerry pay him the biggest salary in the entire NFL if it is to the detriment of the rest of the Giants roster for the next 5 years.

I'm sure we will end up paying him a similar contract to Rivers because Eli is top 10 and the quarterback position seems to be even more important now that it has ever been in the past. It just makes me a bit uneasy because we all know that Eli can be patchy and inconsistent sometimes and play like shit for weeks on end !

If your QB salary hamstrings you from signing talent, and keeps you a mediocre team, then it's best to review your finances... A nice chunk of what he's asking for could go towards signing solid guys on the OL to protect him...

or to protect the ryan fitzpatrick's of the world. eli's been one of the highest paid qbs in the league for a long time and we've managed to be competitive at worst most years

Eli is a franchise QB. He needs to get paid like it but not overpaid. Personally, I think Eli wants to stay a Giant enough that he isn't going to walk over $2 mil per. It's NY, and if Eli wins a third ring here the salary he makes from the Giants will be spending money.

I'm not one of those cap experts, but I think the Giants should offer him a fair deal and stick to their guns. Do you see Eli going to, say, Buffalo because they offered him a mil or two more per annum? I don't think he wants to go to a new situation and start over, and I don't think he'll want to play for a new coach, or uproot his family. Giants need to sell it to him that they need the flexibility to get him the help he needs to win that third ring.