SportsWrath

Preseason: Giants at Bengals

Mr. P

and Kerry Wynn already looks better than Damontre Moore. and Bennett Jackson looks like he will start for us at safety. and Wade looked good at CB, which is good since I think we lost a couple corners last night.

You know there's no positivity allowed in this section.

i know it was just a preseason game and everything from the Giants was " vanilla " as usual .......but our O line looked pathetic last night .........i wonder if Jerry & Tom will consider Evan Mathis or Jake Long again .........we need some depth and some more options.

(I was against it in June ....but now i'm not too sure ....time is running out )

i know it was just a preseason game and everything from the Giants was " vanilla " as usual .......but our O line looked pathetic last night .........i wonder if Jerry & Tom will consider Evan Mathis or Jake Long again .........we need some depth and some more options.

(I was against it in June ....but now i'm not too sure ....time is running out )

The Browns/Bills looked like SB contenders and the Giant's looked like shit.

Usual pre-season.

I think the last good pre-season I remember we still had a QB named Collins on the team.

I liked what I seen from the backups, at the same time they were playing back ups.

Moore has shown why he wasnt getting any starting time and Wynn might be the next big thing for the Giants.

I don't know of many teams that can replace both starting safeties but reports are is Collins is fine and I'm confident someone will come in for Thompson.

Starting Oline still needs work, with all the shuffling of players/positions that it has gone through I'm not surprised with how sloppy they looked.

They need time to gel and stay healthy together for a couple seasons before I assume they pick up their play, but atleast it's being built with young talented players and not old aging vets.

Darkwa might push someone out of a job and with Jennings injury history and Willams still looking raw as fuck, I can see him being carried.

The Browns/Bills looked like SB contenders and the Giant's looked like shit.

Usual pre-season.

I think the last good pre-season I remember we still had a QB named Collins on the team.

The Bills are much better than the Giants. They may have the best D in the NFL.

Last year the team looked terrible in preseason and it spilled over to the regular season. Awful o-line play, porous defense, and the infamous 3rd and 15 draw play. Once the regular season started we saw the exact same thing (that draw play still haunts me).

It's certainly not time to hit the panic button but sure wasn't encouraging either.

I liked what I seen from the backups, at the same time they were playing back ups.

Moore has shown why he wasnt getting any starting time and Wynn might be the next big thing for the Giants.

I don't know of many teams that can replace both starting safeties but reports are is Collins is fine and I'm confident someone will come in for Thompson.

Starting Oline still needs work, with all the shuffling of players/positions that it has gone through I'm not surprised with how sloppy they looked.

They need time to gel and stay healthy together for a couple seasons before I assume they pick up their play, but atleast it's being built with young talented players and not old aging vets.

Darkwa might push someone out of a job and with Jennings injury history and Willams still looking raw as fuck, I can see him being carried.

Honestly, I think this CAN be more telling than anything else in preseason....can your backups come in and not skip a beat from what you had with the starters. Is your second team stronger than most others in the league? It doesn't sound important during training camp and preseason, and it does not necessarily translate to season success....but you're in a better situation than most teams if you know you're going to be OK with a backup lineman playing in the place of your starter. Now, unfortunately, it seemed our starters weren't on the same page as each other or that they weren't quite up to snuff in comparison to the Bengals, but you have to remember, in the season, they are going to have a full four quarters to let that play out...they aren't going 3 and out for an entire 4 quarters--at least you'd have to assume this. With the offensive weapons that we have and hopefully the offensive knowledge that a guy like McAdoo has, that they are going to put points on the board---I'm not worried about that...guys like Beckham and Cruz and Vereen and Manning---they are going to find ways into the end zone. I'm more worried about our defense, specifically the secondary...if we have injuries, that secondary has the potential to be the worst in the league. But the lack of points and series where we pick up first downs doesn't bother me because I know that in such a small sample, it's not telling.

I guess what I'm saying is that I prefer to see how it all plays out and I don't mind losing every preseason game if it means that we figure out that some of our guys are talented enough to come in and hold down the fort.

Last year the team looked terrible in preseason and it spilled over to the regular season. Awful o-line play, porous defense, and the infamous 3rd and 15 draw play. Once the regular season started we saw the exact same thing (that draw play still haunts me).

It's certainly not time to hit the panic button but sure wasn't encouraging either.

With this, I have to go back to my earlier posts about how there is like maybe 3 weeks of actual practice before a season starts and to me, that's absolutely ridiculous. Teams are expected to be on the field and ready to go in early September when we all know full well that these guys have had no time to become a team and gel and no time to work on issues that they ran into during preseason games.

You couldn't script a more typical Giants start...3 and out on the first drive, followed by the opposing offense marching right down the field on us with ease for 7.

+ several injured giant starters.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Best thing I can say about that game is that it's preseason, and doesn't count.

But anyone drawing any conclusions based on what they saw can't have much positive to say.

I can't imagine what this roster is going to look like by week 8.....most injury prone team in the NFL, by far.

With this, I have to go back to my earlier posts about how there is like maybe 3 weeks of actual practice before a season starts and to me, that's absolutely ridiculous. Teams are expected to be on the field and ready to go in early September when we all know full well that these guys have had no time to become a team and gel and no time to work on issues that they ran into during preseason games.

I think the biggest problem with these shorter off seasons and lack of contact in practices is some units don't have time to like I said "gel".

O-lines especially, we were blessed with honestly what I consider one of the top 10 Oline's in all of football when we had Diehl, Sueburt, O'hara, Snee and McKenzie for those five/six years they played together and had time to develop.

Now we have an O-line that hasnt even had any solid starters for the last few seasons with players flipping positions or just being drafted onto the team.

I think the biggest problem with these shorter off seasons and lack of contact in practices is some units don't have time to like I said "gel".

O-lines especially, we were blessed with honestly what I consider one of the top 10 Oline's in all of football when we had Diehl, Sueburt, O'hara, Snee and McKenzie for those five/six years they played together and had time to develop.

Now we have an O-line that hasnt even had any solid starters for the last few seasons with players flipping positions or just being drafted onto the team.

I do think they have the potential to develop into the next Diehl, Seubert, O'hara, Snee, and McKenzie, though. We have solid starters in Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh...workhorse guys...and then the addition of Flowers, I think, is going to give us a 3rd solid starter. A good start...unfortunately, we are left having to go into game days with stop gaps like Marshall Newhouse (who, to his credit, did well with the Packers and has, at least and to his credit, managed to stay in the league) because guys bigger free agent signings like Geoff Schwartz can't even get to the season healthy.

Preseason games mean little as coaches like to experiment with ideas. They rarely use a play out of the play book because that is top secret (good thing the play book isn't on Hillary's server, but I digress). They are watching certain players under certain conditions to make later decisions and checking attitude, strength, intelligence, reaction times, etc.

The most important thing in preseason is not getting injured. Therein lies my issue. I don't think the loss of Mykkele Thompson for a spell is that damaging...especially now that Merriweather is on board...and let's be honest, he wasn't going to start and would see little time on the field this season anyway - not until he puts on about 20 more lbs of muscle and knows the play book. However, it really pissed me off that Landon Collins got hurt and I'm upset about the pre-game injuries to the O-line and the defensive backfield.

If we can get through preseason without any more significant injuries and we start the season healthy, I'll be one happy camper.

Bright spots: Ryan Nassib looks like an NFL ready QB (lucky to have him as a backup for low cost), Bromley looks like he's beefed up and really hungry, Kenard is coming into his own and has future pro-bowl written on his forehead, Bennett Jackson looks good, and Geremy Davis might end up being a great late sleeper pick...like that kid a lot.

Don't worry though. I've been listening to Anita Marks on the Giants podcast and she has made it known that Giants Nation shouldn't be worried about the depth at safety or OL, because some team will release somebody that can start for the Giants at those spots.

That's how great teams are built... with guys cut in August from other teams.

There's different levels of Giants beat writers. There's the everything is rosey ones like Anita Marks and Art Stapleton, there's the everything is grim ones like Graziano and Schwartz and the realists(that now their shit) like Pat Traina, Jordan Raanan and Ebenezer Samuel

There's different levels of Giants beat writers. There's the everything is rosey ones like Anita Marks and Art Stapleton, there's the everything is grim ones like Graziano and Schwartz and the realists(that now their shit) like Pat Traina, Jordan Raanan and Ebenezer Samuel

You should hear Anita Marks gush about J.T. Thomas. You'd think this guy was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor... meanwhile, back on planet Earth, this guy was a backup linebacker with a -14.3 PFF grade on a 3-13 team.

Graziano started as the audio engineer for the Giants' podcasts. Listen to how poorly produced one of those shit-shows is and then tell me why the hell he was promoted to anything other than janitor. And by "poorly produced" I mean back when I taught podcasting to sixth-graders, one of their shows would have earned somewhere between a B- and a C.

On the other hand, James Kratch is a new beat reporter and I'm 90% sure he's the son of former Giants guard Bob Kratch, one of my all-time favorite Giants. Should be interesting to hear his perspective on things.

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with JT Thomas. No, he's not LT and never will be. But he's fast, aggressive, smart, and eager to show he has the tools. He's a wild fire...and as the old saying goes, "it's easier to tame a wild fire than to get a rise out of the dead". I think he brings a good and needed chemistry to the team.

Now....if he ends up sucking big time, this post will be thrown in my face for the rest of my life.

Regardless - you heard it here first: JT Thomas is going to make a lot of new fans.

You should hear Anita Marks gush about J.T. Thomas. You'd think this guy was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor... meanwhile, back on planet Earth, this guy was a backup linebacker with a -14.3 PFF grade on a 3-13 team.

Graziano started as the audio engineer for the Giants' podcasts. Listen to how poorly produced one of those shit-shows is and then tell me why the hell he was promoted to anything other than janitor. And by "poorly produced" I mean back when I taught podcasting to sixth-graders, one of their shows would have earned somewhere between a B- and a C.

On the other hand, James Kratch is a new beat reporter and I'm 90% sure he's the son of former Giants guard Bob Kratch, one of my all-time favorite Giants. Should be interesting to hear his perspective on things.

Marshall Newhouse was our highest graded pff o-lineman against the bengals the other night.