SportsWrath

'Davis Webb is a starter in this league no doubt' | Will Giants live to regret?

Nas

The giants let that public disaster happen last year and didnt give a fuck what the fans thought.

Go back to the psl issue at met life and listen to mara back then and tell me did they give a fuck what the fans thought when they drove lifers away.

The giants have long stopped caring what you and i think. The backlash last year was from the media and former players, thats when they took action

Thats not how it works around the league when a QB is struggling or done, though, Golf. Only with the Giants. When a QB is done or struggling, they make changes to try to figure out how to spark the team. Everyone got that Geno wasnt the future. Everyone gets that Fitzy isnt the future in TB. However, changes can lead to wins and potentially not an entirely lost season. So you make them.

And thats because the fans threw a tantrum when the team tried to move on from Manning.

Thats not how it works around the league when a QB is struggling or done, though, Golf. Only with the Giants. When a QB is done or struggling, they make changes to try to figure out how to spark the team. Everyone got that Geno wasnt the future. Everyone gets that Fitzy isnt the future in TB. However, changes can lead to wins and potentially not an entirely lost season. So you make them.

And thats because the fans threw a tantrum when the team tried to move on from Manning.

The giants were 11-5 2 years ago with said qb. Last year was a disaster all around. Its not unreasonable for them to think he could still get it done. Also if you look around the league there are still other qbs older than him playing.hell after watching drew brees on sunday no wonder hes still playing. He actually had guys blocking and run blocking. What a concept?

And thats because the fans threw a tantrum when the teahm tried to move on from Manning.

Far from it.

Geno has no future so why play him? He won't bring a spark to the team and he never has his entire career.

Fitz has at least lead teams to playoff births and had good games, unlike Geno.

Mara benched trash for trash.

If Mara made the decision to bench Eli for Webb, I highly doubt Eli is the QB this year and Webb is probably starting if not some journeyman FA.

When teams drop out of playoff contention in October two years in a row, it means it was past time to try to a different quarterback during the skids. Not contemplate it after the season ends.

And Webb wasnt ready that week. They mishandled prepping Webb, but you cant sit there and tell me that it wasnt the plan in the next few weeks following Mannings benching for Geno. Talk about revisionist history. You guys, as fans, threw a tantrum because you didnt want a years ago Super Bowl champ to be moved on from.

And by the way, Geno played well enough to win that game. As well as Manning.

To the comment earlier on age, some QBs can play into their late 30s, but many others could not. Eli might be one of them. I think hes still capable but is so shell shocked and has no confidence in his line that it affects his mental state and decision making, even on plays without pressure.

Imagine going into every pass set thinking the line will at any time botch it and absolutely fail you, even on non blitz plays. Thats gotta have a psychological impact on a QB.

Brock Osweiler is not a competent NFL starter.

What the hell?!

Yep.

4 games this year, 64% completion percentage, twice as many TDs as picks, and a 93.8 QB rating. Good to come in and hold the fort for a few games or even half a season while you groom the next guy, but not good enough to be a franchise QB.

Competent.

Lauletta looks to me like whoever that Bills QB was that lasted one game this season.

And Webb wasnt ready that week. They mishandled prepping Webb, but you cant sit there and tell me that it wasnt the plan in the next few weeks following Mannings benching for Geno. Talk about revisionist history. You guys, as fans, threw a tantrum because you didnt want a years ago Super Bowl champ to be moved on from.

Not to be moved on from for fucking Geno Smith... I do not think there was a single Giants fan who was happy that he was even brought in during training camp as a backup for a potentially hurt Eli.

Yes, Geno Smith was what made benching Eli so bad... as New York fans we all saw what he did as a starter for the Jets, and we knew he was not the answer... at least if they threw Webb in he was/is an unknown

Exactly.

Yep.

4 games this year, 64% completion percentage, twice as many TDs as picks, and a 93.8 QB rating. Good to come in and hold the fort for a few games or even half a season while you groom the next guy, but not good enough to be a franchise QB.

Competent.

Lauletta looks to me like whoever that Bills QB was that lasted one game this season.

Osweiler is a better version of Danny Kannell. Come on Seph, youre smarter than this.

That plan blew up in their face when they went to Eli, explained to him that they would only start him to continue his streak and he called bullshit on Mac, Reese and John Mara.

Good on him for doing so because that was a half-assed plan. Webb should have been getting practice snaps the second after the Rams put 52 on us at home last season.

Mac basically said he needed a mobile QB for his system to work and inserted Geno who played a typical Geno game. When going down to score, he fumbled the ball.

2017 was a shit show on many occasions, Atleast this season no one is going rogue on Shurmur.

If Mara/MacAttack came out and said the week they were gonna bench Eli;

"We are moving on from Eli at this time, we are starting Geno as a temporary measure until we see what we have in Webb. This doesn't mean Eli wont be starting again at some point but for right now the season is lost and it's time to see what we have in Webb in a couple weeks"

Instead MacAdoo comes out and says "GENO IS THE QB GOING FORWARD, WE ARE GOING TO WIN WITH HIM DERPA HERPA DOO!!" - actual quote I assume in his mind.

The only one to blame for the whole situation is Mara and MacAttack.

The fans just reacted to Eli suddenly being for Geno Smith, not some young QB who may have a future or needs experiance, Geno Smith, the guy who's not going to win anything ever in his career.

And Geno didnt win that game against the Raiders, they lost lol

I'm all for moving on from Eli, but when fans say "Let's bench Eli for Johnny Football!!!!" I shake my head and laugh.

You don't make change just for the lulz or for the sake of change, you do it in some way that makes sense from a football standpoint.

Lauletta (before the arrest) makes sense.

They didnt trade for a guy before the deadline so maybe they bring back Webb, which would make sense.

I didnt say they won the game. I said he played well enough to win it. As fans, you should have known exactly what they were doing. Why would he come out and say any of what you think he should have said in a competitive league?

I didnt say they won the game. I said he played well enough to win it. As fans, you should have known exactly what they were doing. Why would he come out and say any of what you think he should have said in a competitive league?

"He played well enough to win it" - but they lost, so he didnt lol

So you're saying the fans should of trusted this organization that got the Giants in this mess?

Arent you the same guy who said this team has no idea what it's doing for the last 5 years?

So in every other matter expect for QB they have been wrong, but benching Eli for Geno was the one the fans should of trusted with no clear indication otherwise?

They never said anything about Webb other than "he's weeks away" with only 3 more weeks to go in the season?

lol

Owners/coaches come out all the time and talk about why the benched a player, especially a franchise one, look at the heat Gruden took for trading Mack.

They said to the fans "Our future is with Smith and MacAttack" when they should of said "We're blowing it all up, time to end an era, Webb or some other QB will be leading this team"

Im sure there are fans who didnt want to believe Eli was done whether it was webb or smith. Im sure there are fans like you who felt he was done for a long time and didnt care who they sat him for. But I know there are fans, like me, who didnt see the point in a lost season to benching a team legend for a guy we all knew would be out of the league soon. For Webb? Sure. For geno? Whats the point? We were better off losing out anyway and at least doing it with the legend. Plus it smelled like a desperate coach trying to find a scapegoat and save his job, and considering how badly I wanted him gone I found that kind of offensive

Im sure there are fans who didnt want to believe Eli was done whether it was webb or smith. Im sure there are fans like you who felt he was done for a long time and didnt care who they sat him for. But I know there are fans, like me, who didnt see the point in a lost season to benching a team legend for a guy we all knew would be out of the league soon. For Webb? Sure. For geno? Whats the point? We were better off losing out anyway and at least doing it with the legend. Plus it smelled like a desperate coach trying to find a scapegoat and save his job, and considering how badly I wanted him gone I found that kind of offensive

Herc summmed it up better than I was.

There was no point to bench Eli at that point with what? four weeks left to go, if 1) Webb wasnt the guy day one, or 2) Webb was even going to start at all.

Putting Smith in did nothing at that point, it wasn't going to make the playoffs, he wasnt going to help the team, he was just going to be Geno Smith.

It's the exact same situation this year.

Why bench Eli unless it's for 1) Lauletta at this point for the rest of the year or 2) Lauletta in a couple weeks when this cop shit gets figured out.

Starting Tanney the rest of the way is the same thing as starting Geno the rest of the way.

It does nothing for the Giants other than win a few garbage games and just have Tanney walk in FA.

"He played well enough to win it" - but they lost, so he didnt lol

So you're saying the fans should of trusted this organization that got the Giants in this mess?

Arent you the same guy who said this team has no idea what it's doing for the last 5 years?

So in every other matter expect for QB they have been wrong, but benching Eli for Geno was the one the fans should of trusted with no clear indication otherwise?

They never said anything about Webb other than "he's weeks away" with only 3 more weeks to go in the season?

lol

Owners/coaches come out all the time and talk about why the benched a player, especially a franchise one, look at the heat Gruden took for trading Mack.

They said to the fans "Our future is with Smith and MacAttack" when they should of said "We're blowing it all up, time to end an era, Webb or some other QB will be leading this team"

In a league that values parity, at least on the surface, you cant come out and say we know this guy sucks but we want to move on from eli, like you suggested.

And so when Eli sucks and loses what 19 of the last 23 games its the offensive line but when Geno loses one its that Geno fucking sucked that game(he didnt)? Thats exactly what Im talking about. Thats what pisses me off about some of you. You have no fucking clue how the rest of the league does this shit because youre spoiled and entitled by a 2011 super bowl win and a couple outlying years of stellar performance.

Because take a guess how many playoff games Manning has won outside of 07 and 11. Ask anyone other than a Giants fan what their opinion is of Manning currently and retroactively to about the 2015 season.

They drafted Webb in the third round, they didnt have to say anything to fans about what their plans were for him. It was intuitively obvious.

They said nothing about the future being with Geno. They said, for right now, a change needs to be made because Manning cant win football games anymore. And thats what other franchises do when their quarterback isnt winning games. I dont get how thats hard to accept. I really dont.

I get looking back fondly. I dont get relishing your team to the nether because you dont want Eli to go.

LOL, are we better off losing out? Fuck yeah, were probably better off losing out for four years straight to get some high draft picks. That doesnt mean you dont do something-anything-at the QB position to win games. Thats what fans should want. I would take a 7-9 team over a 3-13 team any day. Its more wins that I get to enjoy watching.