SportsWrath

$300 million for 10 years.....

Chuck Wagon

The Padres will never get a sniff of the SW in those 10 years.

Not a sniff.

C. Wagon

They are a one sports town now and they need stars. They've got some great talent 1 or 2 years away. Trying to build a loyal fan base. I think it's a good signing. The kid is only 25. What is SW?

They are a one sports town now and they need stars. They've got some great talent 1 or 2 years away. Trying to build a loyal fan base. I think it's a good signing. The kid is only 25.

Just not seeing it Fringe. Then again...I have always had trouble with the brown unis.

MM turns 27 in July.....still young. ...but he takes plays off in big games and strikes me as a bit of a head case....get sort of the same head case vibe with Harper.

If these guys are getting $300...and Stanton got ...what...$325 (way too much for a 1 denominational guy) what is going to be the price on Trout?

But the fan base part makes great sense....particularly with how the Dodgers have been raking the last few years...and the Giants are due again.

C. Wagon

Just not seeing it Fringe. Then again...I have always had trouble with the brown unis.

MM turns 27 in July.....still young. ...but he takes plays off in big games and strikes me as a bit of a head case....get sort of the same head case vibe with Harper.

If these guys are getting $300...and Stanton got ...what...$325 (way too much for a 1 denominational guy) what is going to be the price on Trout?

But the fan base part makes great sense....particularly with how the Dodgers have been raking the last few years...and the Giants are due again.

C. Wagon

Alas, the Giants may take a while. I agree that he has to keep his head on straight but his numbers are awesome. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing (and taking what he's taking) it will be ok.

One of the problems with baseball is that they are allowed to keep guys in their system for 6 years AFTER they make the bigs. Some never get a sniff of a free agent contract. For others, it's their one shot. These 2 guys are young enough to see it through. I say lower the team control to 3 years and then you'll see contracts based on what you can do rather than what you've done.

Alas, the Giants may take a while. I agree that he has to keep his head on straight but his numbers are awesome. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing (and taking what he's taking) it will be ok.

One of the problems with baseball is that they are allowed to keep guys in their system for 6 years AFTER they make the bigs. Some never get a sniff of a free agent contract. For others, it's their one shot. These 2 guys are young enough to see it through. I say lower the team control to 3 years and then you'll see contracts based on what you can do rather than what you've done.

I played in a Senior Mens league named after a guy who played in the Yankee organization for 14 years.....never got a sniff of the Bigs because there were only some many big league teams....he played short stop (The tail end of Cossetti's ...and most of Rizzuto's career...not counting WW II Service....) and ...the reserve clause meant virtual indenturement to whatever org bought your contract.

I see guys like MM...and wonder...if you put Pete Rose or Terry Pendeltons will...into that talent. ....holy shit.

But yeah...I got no problem players getting paid in a league that brings in $10 billion a year.

C. agon

I played in a Senior Mens league named after a guy who played in the Yankee organization for 14 years.....never got a sniff of the Bigs because there were only some many big league teams....he played short stop (The tail end of Cossetti's ...and most of Rizzuto's career...not counting WW II Service....) and ...the reserve clause meant virtual indenturement to whatever org bought your contract.

I see guys like MM...and wonder...if you put Pete Rose or Terry Pendeltons will...into that talent. ....holy shit.

But yeah...I got no problem players getting paid in a league that brings in $10 billion a year.

C. agon

The uniforms are awful. And it is great going to San Diego and on a whim getting into great seats at a beautiful downtown ballpark. But the Giants are now the septic tank of the NL West and if not for the Marlins, all of baseball.