SportsWrath

The 2010 New York Mets

RandolphScott

Featuring some home grown talent!!!

Gotta love it!! I think the 2011 Mets are gonna be real good, now? I'm just enjoying the ride...this team is just fun to watch!

The infield is ALL homegrown..Mike Pelfrey and Jon Niese who were drafted in the same year!! That's gonna be a heck of a duo, I believe.

Now if we can only get George Foster...I mean..Jason Bay to start hitting for power...we'd be golden!!

Featuring some home grown talent!!!

Gotta love it!! I think the 2011 Mets are gonna be real good, now? I'm just enjoying the ride...this team is just fun to watch!

The infield is ALL homegrown..Mike Pelfrey and Jon Niese who were drafted in the same year!! That's gonna be a heck of a duo, I believe.

Now if we can only get George Foster...I mean..Jason Bay to start hitting for power...we'd be golden!!

Golfin', it's been a long time since someone has started a topic in here, and if you hadn't, I was going to. It's great, there seems to be a bit of joy in Mets land right now. This team IS actually becoming fun to root for again. And it's really been about the pitching. If Ubaldo Jimenez wasn't doing what he's doing in Colorado, Pelfrey's in the conversation as the best pitcher in the NL. No need to get caught up in ranking pitchers, though, just that I'm thrilled with how EXCEPTIONAL Pelfrey's pitched. He's exceeding my expectations thus far, and I think I had a pretty high bar for him. And I'm really liking the different look in the rotation that Dickey gives them. He's pitched very well, too. It's hard to imagine Ollie getting a rotation spot back, well, EVER. And when Maine finishes his rehab stint, does he take over for Takahashi? I think a lot will be determined by Takahashi's next start or two before Maine comes back. But I love this rotation right now, and I haven't even mentioned Santana who's been great so far (even if we're not winning his starts at the moment).

How much do you love Ike Davis? This guy belongs. Wright is finally hitting, Reyes is heating up, and you're right, if Bay starts hitting the way he has over his career, this could be a great team. I think they are FINALLY exercising the demons of the past few years, and I think that sweeping the Phillies (and shutting them out for the series) was a huge confidence builder.

I never knew Barajas before he came to the Mets, and not even talking about his homerun potential, but the way he has been with this staff, is truly commendable.

Hopefully, they can start getting some big run production against two weak teams coming up in the Orioles and the Indians.

Golfin', it's been a long time since someone has started a topic in here, and if you hadn't, I was going to. It's great, there seems to be a bit of joy in Mets land right now. This team IS actually becoming fun to root for again. And it's really been about the pitching. If Ubaldo Jimenez wasn't doing what he's doing in Colorado, Pelfrey's in the conversation as the best pitcher in the NL. No need to get caught up in ranking pitchers, though, just that I'm thrilled with how EXCEPTIONAL Pelfrey's pitched. He's exceeding my expectations thus far, and I think I had a pretty high bar for him. And I'm really liking the different look in the rotation that Dickey gives them. He's pitched very well, too. It's hard to imagine Ollie getting a rotation spot back, well, EVER. And when Maine finishes his rehab stint, does he take over for Takahashi? I think a lot will be determined by Takahashi's next start or two before Maine comes back. But I love this rotation right now, and I haven't even mentioned Santana who's been great so far (even if we're not winning his starts at the moment).

How much do you love Ike Davis? This guy belongs. Wright is finally hitting, Reyes is heating up, and you're right, if Bay starts hitting the way he has over his career, this could be a great team. I think they are FINALLY exercising the demons of the past few years, and I think that sweeping the Phillies (and shutting them out for the series) was a huge confidence builder.

I never knew Barajas before he came to the Mets, and not even talking about his homerun potential, but the way he has been with this staff, is truly commendable.

Hopefully, they can start getting some big run production against two weak teams coming up in the Orioles and the Indians.

Pelfrey, in my opinion has become the Mets new ace. Yup, he's surpassed Santana in that respect...when Pelfrey is on the mound..I know we're gonna win and I've never said that about any Mets pitcher in my life. He's THAT good...everything is clicking for him. I fully expect him to toss a no-hitter in his career and hopefully it's in a Mets uniform. And as for Santana...I've become alarmed...the K's are down..the walks are up and the velocity is down. I know he's a 2nd half pitcher...but it's very, very alarming right now. As for Maine? I just simply don't know...Taka has been lit up the past few starts...I think he gets 1 more to redeem himself..but that will come against the O's...who are just awful, completely awful. Just release Ollie already...

I LIKE IKE! For a guy who was pretty much thrust into the "Savior" bracket for this franchise....has this franchise ever had a homegrown first basemen with this much talent? I guess you could say Dave Magadan..but he bounced around alot in his career. Jose is just a joy to watch play baseball, but it's frustrating to see him pop out...line drives Jose..line drives. Wright is coming around, Pagan has been a pleasant surprise...no bone head plays, while playing great defense and getting some timely hits. Frenchy is hitting the ball square...finally since that 20 inning game against the Cardinals. Jason Bay= George Foster....I'm sorry...he's provided nothing this season. I HOPE they are, I mean...just look at the game against the Marlins last week..they were down..what 5 runs? That's a game the 2007, 2008 and 2009 Mets lose...this team came back! They remind me of the 2006 team, but certainly have flaws..but..hey..I'll take it. They are alot of fun to watch now. It's almost as if they don't care what as happened in the past as many of them we not hear to live it. Ruben Tejada wasn't here, Ike Davis was in Arizona St, Frenchy was in Atlanta, Barajas was in the Philly, Bay was in Pittsburgh/Boston. They are just playing with an air about them, that they can come back from anything really.

I also fully expect Reese Havens to challenge Tejada and Slappy for the job next season at 2nd base.

I knew Barajas as a guy who hit homers and thats about it, he has not disappointed either. Guy has been the best pick up out of all the Free Agents. Also a shout out to Henry Blanco "Hank White"...guy has been awesome in the game's he has played.

I hear what you're saying about Santana. But I'm not really worried. I mean, in comparison to Pelfrey, he's not looking great. But to be fair, the guy has 13 starts so far and has allowed 2 runs or less in 9 of those starts. The fastball is sitting right around 90-91 mph, and I think that is what he was for a lot of last year as well. Yes, he used to be 94-95, but with his changeup, the fastball is still good enough. His BAA is still good at .236 (he was .244 last year), and his WHIP is 1.20. If anything, you can say his "stuff" isn't as dominant as it used to be. But he's so savvy a pitcher that he gets his outs and puts the team in position to win most of his starts. I still like him, and I think the Pelfrey/Santana duo is as good as there is in the NL this year.

I agree with you though, Pelf has surpassed him.

I think the one thing we are seeing is a team that actually has some chemistry. Rumors were always there that Carlos Delgado was a bad guy in the lockeroom. I am suspecting that to be true.

Still need one more starter IMO and probably another bullpen arm to bridge to KROD, but I suspect this team will compete all year. There really is not a lot to not like in terms of how they play. They may not be the most talented, but they play hard and Id rather play hard and lose then watch what we saw last year and in 2008 and 2007.

Keeping the homegrown players and incorporating key veterans is a tough thing, Omar seems to be doing this well now with Niese, Davis, Pagan, Tejada, Pelfrey, Meijia to go along with Barajas, Franceour, Bay

I think the one thing we are seeing is a team that actually has some chemistry. Rumors were always there that Carlos Delgado was a bad guy in the lockeroom. I am suspecting that to be true.

Still need one more starter IMO and probably another bullpen arm to bridge to KROD, but I suspect this team will compete all year. There really is not a lot to not like in terms of how they play. They may not be the most talented, but they play hard and Id rather play hard and lose then watch what we saw last year and in 2008 and 2007.

Keeping the homegrown players and incorporating key veterans is a tough thing, Omar seems to be doing this well now with Niese, Davis, Pagan, Tejada, Pelfrey, Meijia to go along with Barajas, Franceour, Bay

You pretty much had it pegged when we traded for Delgado in 2005, in all those years in Toronto he was always a candidate for being traded at the deadline...he was a loser..and he always will be.

The team needs another bat... how many times can Santana pitch a good game and have no run support. I do not know if the is a power hitter or a pesky no-strike out guy (Castillo 10 years ago).. could you picture a David Eckstein type player in that big Citi Field. He would give pitchers fits.

Beltran is going to come back, and maybe he can get his swing in shape for a playoff run but where do you stick him? Pagan has been playing so hard and putting in good performances you would not want to send him full time to the bench, Bay was the big pick-up and has that power potential so I do not see sitting him for any amount of time... that leaves streaky Fancour but would platooning him send him into another funk?

The team needs another bat... how many times can Santana pitch a good game and have no run support. I do not know if the is a power hitter or a pesky no-strike out guy (Castillo 10 years ago).. could you picture a David Eckstein type player in that big Citi Field. He would give pitchers fits.

Beltran is going to come back, and maybe he can get his swing in shape for a playoff run but where do you stick him? Pagan has been playing so hard and putting in good performances you would not want to send him full time to the bench, Bay was the big pick-up and has that power potential so I do not see sitting him for any amount of time... that leaves streaky Fancour but would platooning him send him into another funk?

I think as you mentionied, Beltran is the other bat they will be getting. Pagan has earned playing time. I'm not worried about his AB's. What will happen is Beltran will be the regular starter in CF, and Pagan will spell him fairly often... Manuel will want Beltran to take it easy on those knees, and Pagan will allow him to do that. Also, there will be a lot of Pagan in RF as well, with Frenchie getting a few more days off. I actually think the team has enough offense, especiallly when/if Beltran does return.

A LOT of talk about the Mets making a trade for a big time starter. If they make something happen, I really hope it's Cliff Lee. I'm not in love with Oswalt. And I don't think losing a top prospect or two for someone who may only be nominally better than Takahashi (Sheets, Westbrook, Carmona) is worth it. If we can get Lee, and move Takahashi back to the bullpen where he was pitching very well, this team is going to make the playoffs. Dickey has earned his rotation spot with how well he has pitched. A Pelfrey, Santana, Lee, Niese, Dickey rotation would have me drooling!

I think as you mentionied, Beltran is the other bat they will be getting. Pagan has earned playing time. I'm not worried about his AB's. What will happen is Beltran will be the regular starter in CF, and Pagan will spell him fairly often... Manuel will want Beltran to take it easy on those knees, and Pagan will allow him to do that. Also, there will be a lot of Pagan in RF as well, with Frenchie getting a few more days off. I actually think the team has enough offense, especiallly when/if Beltran does return.

A LOT of talk about the Mets making a trade for a big time starter. If they make something happen, I really hope it's Cliff Lee. I'm not in love with Oswalt. And I don't think losing a top prospect or two for someone who may only be nominally better than Takahashi (Sheets, Westbrook, Carmona) is worth it. If we can get Lee, and move Takahashi back to the bullpen where he was pitching very well, this team is going to make the playoffs. Dickey has earned his rotation spot with how well he has pitched. A Pelfrey, Santana, Lee, Niese, Dickey rotation would have me drooling!

I am not saying I would kick Cliff Lee off the mound, or that I would not love seeing Pelf, Santa, Lee, Niese/Dickey rotation going into a playoff series. I just think starting pitching has been one of the areas where they have not been having trouble since Maine and Oli left... most losses have happened when the bats have fallen silent.

Also who knows what we get back with Beltran, or how long it will take for him to start playing his best ball.... especially if he starts hearing those boo birds if he has a slow start. I am also a little biased against Beltran since being in the stadium to watch him take strike three in game 7 against the Cards is the single most heartbreaking sports moment in my life....

What lost the weekend series against the Yanks... the offense went quiet. I did not get to watch much of Saturday's game but reading the box score all the offense came off of two Reyes HR's. Then yesterday fine Santana did not have his best game but really the only runs were from a grand slam that in CitiField would have been a pop up. But even if that ball did not leave the field you are not going to win many games when you score 0 runs.