SportsWrath

If you're not outraged at this season....

Allstarjim

Then please pass what you are smoking/drinking. This season was an absolute faillure... Even in this final game against a TERRIBLE, I repeat, TERRIBLE Redskins team, the Giants were just mediocre enough to slip through with a W.

In case you hadn't noticed, we played a soft schedule this season, in a division with only one real challenger, and barely got to 10 wins, with losses to vastly inferior teams. This season is a lost season. To borrow from a Parcell's metaphor, this team had all the ingredients to make the finest meal in a 5 star restaurant... but what we got was a 10 win Happy Meal from Mickey D's thanks to the most overcomplicated bland offense I've seen in my lifetime, among other things.

If you see any silver lining in this season, I feel sorry for you.... maybe if the Redskins was able to put one more TD on the board today there would be the outrage at this coaching staff that should be there already.

Then please pass what you are smoking/drinking. This season was an absolute faillure... Even in this final game against a TERRIBLE, I repeat, TERRIBLE Redskins team, the Giants were just mediocre enough to slip through with a W.

In case you hadn't noticed, we played a soft schedule this season, in a division with only one real challenger, and barely got to 10 wins, with losses to vastly inferior teams. This season is a lost season. To borrow from a Parcell's metaphor, this team had all the ingredients to make the finest meal in a 5 star restaurant... but what we got was a 10 win Happy Meal from Mickey D's thanks to the most overcomplicated bland offense I've seen in my lifetime, among other things.

If you see any silver lining in this season, I feel sorry for you.... maybe if the Redskins was able to put one more TD on the board today there would be the outrage at this coaching staff that should be there already.

I completely, COMPLETELY agree with you.

To expand...Of the ten wins this season, 9 were against teams with losing records. Of the 6 losses, two were against teams with a losing record (Tennessee, Dallas). It just goes to show how piss poor the coaching staff prepares the team for big games. And if anyone argues that we have less talent than teams like Indy (who at the time were down like 6+ starters) and Philly, then I feel truly sorry for you. It just isn't true.

So 11 out of 16 games were against teams with losing records, and we managed to eek out 10 wins. That's god damn pathetic. Tom Coughlin does not deserve to be the head coach of the team, taking what Jerry Reese has given him and turning them into career underachievers.

I don't think anyone considers this season a success.

If you have read that somewhere please link me to it.

I think the fact that people are actually happy that nothing will be being done about it from the top down (meaning since Coughlin stays, more than likely his assistants stay....maybe not the pitiful ST guy but still, you get the point) says enough about what people consider around here.

I think a lot of people still live 4 years ago when we made a fluke run at a Super Bowl and are willing to give Coughlin a pass because, ya know, a while back he (and by that I mean mainly his defense and defensive coordinator and a TON of lucky plays) led the team to a SB. Of the other 4 years (I won't include Manning's rookie season), well, you've seen the results. Failing in the playoffs (collapsing in the playoffs, actually, to Carolina, Philly) and failing in December have now become the acceptable norm because the team strung together a winning season against poor teams this year so Coughlin keeps his job.

It's pretty ridiculous. What's it going to take? Is it going to really take a 4-12 season to get the change pushed through? Now we enter next season with a lame duck coach and more than likely his garbage coaching staff, as well. Couple that with the fact that the team should be competing NOW for another Super Bowl and won't be because they can't avoid collapsing in the second half, and you SHOULD understand what Allstar is saying here. But people won't. They see the 10 win season as a "winning" season, where in reality, we are the biggest losers in the NFL right now...

Im coming to the conclusion we have a team of nice, solid players. No real stars that can take a game over. Tuck and Osi are the closest thing we have on defense. Nicks I love and think he will emerge but hes still young. Maybe thats enough to get it done when you play sound, disciplined football but it sure as hell isnt when you lead the league in turnovers.

I think the fact that people are actually happy that nothing will be being done about it from the top down (meaning since Coughlin stays, more than likely his assistants stay....maybe not the pitiful ST guy but still, you get the point) says enough about what people consider around here.

I think a lot of people still live 4 years ago when we made a fluke run at a Super Bowl and are willing to give Coughlin a pass because, ya know, a while back he (and by that I mean mainly his defense and defensive coordinator and a TON of lucky plays) led the team to a SB. Of the other 4 years (I won't include Manning's rookie season), well, you've seen the results. Failing in the playoffs (collapsing in the playoffs, actually, to Carolina, Philly) and failing in December have now become the acceptable norm because the team strung together a winning season against poor teams this year so Coughlin keeps his job.

It's pretty ridiculous. What's it going to take? Is it going to really take a 4-12 season to get the change pushed through? Now we enter next season with a lame duck coach and more than likely his garbage coaching staff, as well. Couple that with the fact that the team should be competing NOW for another Super Bowl and won't be because they can't avoid collapsing in the second half, and you SHOULD understand what Allstar is saying here. But people won't. They see the 10 win season as a "winning" season, where in reality, we are the biggest losers in the NFL right now...

I'm starting to like you Storm. You're speaking spot on. :wub:

Getting to the playoffs is the bare minimum of a fair not great season. I could give a shit about any number of wins that don't lead to the post season. Gilfuck will be there next season.

Now it's a "fluke" run to the superbowl?. Did you even bother to watch the playoffs that season or just wait for the results to come out. I know you're upset but get a fucking grip. When we won the Superbowl, we went out and won the damn thing, those 4 games weren't luck. I'm not trying to be a homer, we went in and took that thing.

A 10 win season means nothing if you're not in the playoffs, nobody should be that naive, but we're not the biggest losers in the NFL by a long shot. Look at the team we played today, would you rather be like them, I sure as hell wouldn't.

I understand the upset but you've got to put things in perspective here. The problem with this board right now is that a lot of people now are starting to act like that fucking imbecile Jack.

Getting to the playoffs is the bare minimum of a fair not great season. I could give a shit about any number of wins that don't lead to the post season. Gilfuck will be there next season.

TC and his merry men will be here till they die. Thankfully TC is like 73 years old.

Man, I can only imagine what kind of numbers Eli and this very talented WR core could put up with a competent HC and OC. Instead their careers are all going to be average.

Now it's a "fluke" run to the superbowl?. Did you even bother to watch the playoffs that season or just wait for the results to come out. I know you're upset but get a fucking grip. When we won the Superbowl, we went out and won the damn thing, those 4 games weren't luck. I'm not trying to be a homer, we went in and took that thing.

A 10 win season means nothing if you're not in the playoffs, nobody should be that naive, but we're not the biggest losers in the NFL by a long shot. Look at the team we played today, would you rather be like them, I sure as hell wouldn't.

I understand the upset but you've got to put things in perspective here. The problem with this board right now is that a lot of people now are starting to act like that fucking imbecile Jack.

By fluke I meant it was truly the luck of a few plays going right for us. Which it was. Any other day that throw to Tyree falls incomplete. Any other Patrick Crayton scores a touchdown. Any other day, Brett Favre doesn't inexplicably throw the ball directly to Corey Webster. Any other day Asante Samuel doesn't drop an easy pick. The other teams certainly weren't outcoached, that's for sure.

By fluke I meant it was truly the luck of a few plays going right for us. Which it was. Any other day that throw to Tyree falls incomplete. Any other Patrick Crayton scores a touchdown. Any other day, Brett Favre doesn't inexplicably throw the ball directly to Corey Webster. Any other day Asante Samuel doesn't drop an easy pick. The other teams certainly weren't outcoached, that's for sure.

If plays don't go right for you, you never win. This happens every close game. favre shouldn't even have had the chance remember we missed 2 field goals?.

4 years ago, these weren't issues. All of a sudden they are. Wanna give back the trophy?

If plays don't go right for you, you never win. This happens every close game. favre shouldn't even have had the chance remember we missed 2 field goals?.

4 years ago, these weren't issues. All of a sudden they are. Wanna give back the trophy?

Plays went right for US in a fluky manner. Other teams make plays go their way, the 07 Giants had plays go their way by fluke that would never happen again if given a thousand tries recreating certain plays.

That's not the point I'm trying to make, anyway. I'm saying Coughlin gets a pass because he won a SB and because he has a year left on his contract. In reality, a solid defense and a great defensive gameplan allowed him to win that SB along with a couple great draft classes by JR. He had little to do with it. Coughlin isn't really that great of a coach. He's pretty good between September and December, but his teams historically fall apart in December. So if we're going by the one year his team pulled through, why should we ignore the other 4 years (5 if you count Manning's rookie season) he allowed his team to collapse?

I've spent the past week purging the bile from my system.

I'm sort of happy the season is finally over. We finished 10-6, with a win.

And I can finally get back to watching reruns of Murder, She Wrote on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz9lpxv3NM

I know this really belongs in the "Great TV Intros" thread, but I'm feeling a little carefree right now.

Plays went right for US in a fluky manner. Other teams make plays go their way, the 07 Giants had plays go their way by fluke that would never happen again if given a thousand tries recreating certain plays.

That's not the point I'm trying to make, anyway. I'm saying Coughlin gets a pass because he won a SB and because he has a year left on his contract. In reality, a solid defense and a great defensive gameplan allowed him to win that SB along with a couple great draft classes by JR. He had little to do with it. Coughlin isn't really that great of a coach. He's pretty good between September and December, but his teams historically fall apart in December. So if we're going by the one year his team pulled through, why should we ignore the other 4 years (5 if you count Manning's rookie season) he allowed his team to collapse?

Speaking of Mannings rookie season... another brilliant coaching move he made was starting him way too early. He allowed a rookie QB with a shitload of potential to get hammered instead of an aging Warner. And for what? A 4-12 season.

Just another example of TC killing young talent.

this team was way too talented to go 19-13 the past two years.

we wasted some good drafts and some good young productive years from some very talented players and by the time ownership pulls its heads out of its ass these players will be gone or on the decline and we'll have to start all over

Speaking of Mannings rookie season... another brilliant coaching move he made was starting him way too early. He allowed a rookie QB with a shitload of potential to get hammered instead of an aging Warner. And for what? A 4-12 season.

Just another example of TC killing young talent.

This I agree with, I've said it before, of all the things this franchise has done or not done or the years, this was the worst IMO. We actually threw the season out the door.

You have something there Herc....the Giants ownership reminds me of the Knicks corporate ownership back in the 80's and early 90's. Good enough to go light to medium deep into the playoffs...tantalize the fans 2 out of every 5 years with a championship run and come up short because instead of three great players we will only pay for two and let them almost win. Who cares the suckers keep coming to the Garden screaming "Go NY Go NY Go". While we count our profits.

I mean you have an established ownership that went 18 years without a playoff experience. 18 years. You have an ownership that basically let a general manager circumvent your wishes (George Young did not want Parcells back and did everything possible to successfully sabotage the reunion) you know it, and yet you forgive him and he keeps his job. No one is asking the Mara family to be George Steinbrenner....but please have some respect for the fans.

I really think we need to dispel this myth that the Giants are some supremely talented bunch.

I talented team doesn't blow a 21 point lead against the Eagles, and then get blown out by the Packers, and then hang on to beat a pathetic Redskin team.

The team is 10-6, and pretty lucky to be even that, considering their propensity for error.

You have something there Herc....the Giants ownership reminds me of the Knicks corporate ownership back in the 80's and early 90's. Good enough to go light to medium deep into the playoffs...tantalize the fans 2 out of every 5 years with a championship run and come up short because instead of three great players we will only pay for two and let them almost win. Who cares the suckers keep coming to the Garden screaming "Go NY Go NY Go". While we count our profits.

I mean you have an established ownership that went 18 years without a playoff experience. 18 years. You have an ownership that basically let a general manager circumvent your wishes (George Young did not want Parcells back and did everything possible to successfully sabotage the reunion) you know it, and yet you forgive him and he keeps his job. No one is asking the Mara family to be George Steinbrenner....but please have some respect for the fans.

every year francessa says this and it's sad but true: "the mara's only want one thing: for that last game at the meadowlands to be a meaningful one. as long as they have that they consider the season a success".

it's tough for me to dislike them, especially the old man god rest his soul, but it's a helpless feeling knowing your owners have such low expectations for success.

all that tough talk that came out of john mara's mouth this time last year was hot air. he's just a bullshitter

I really think we need to dispel this myth that the Giants are some supremely talented bunch.

I talented team doesn't blow a 21 point lead against the Eagles, and then get blown out by the Packers, and then hang on to beat a pathetic Redskin team.

The team is 10-6, and pretty lucky to be even that, considering their propensity for error.

in my opinion the roster we had this season was a lot more talented than the team we won the superbowl with

i dont blame tom for 2008 cuz that plaxico shit was a disaster and we weren't deep enough at wr yet to cover for it.

but these last two years are on him. 19-13 is an underachieving record