SportsWrath

Ralph Vacchiano on Giants' draft needs

BleedinBlue

Good writeup IMO

A look at the Giants' draft needs

BY Ralph Vacchiano

There is now less than a month until the start of the NFL draft and heres what we know about whom the Giants will select with the 12th overall pick:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I know there are a million mock drafts and a lot of people saying a lot of things about who will go where, but the truth is that nothing more than speculation comes out this far before the draft begins. Pro Days are still happening. So are pre-draft visits. Draft boards are up, but are nowhere near finalized. The Giants will not hold their draft meetings and finalize their strategy until the days before the draft begins.

So youll have to wait for real good information about who the Giants will pick.

For now, its much more important to focus on the positions they should think about drafting. And in order, here is what I think are there biggest areas of need:

Wide receiver:

This has become a passing league and theres no way around that, and to be a proficient passing team you need good, speedy, and preferably big targets. So right now, other than Victor Cruz, which targets are you sure about on the Giants roster?

I think Rueben Randle can be a star, but GM Jerry Reese admitted the jurys still out on whether hes good enough to be a No. 1 receiver and to replace the departed Hakeem Nicks. Jerrel Jernigan had a nice finish to last season, but Id say the jury is still out on him. And Mario Manningham was a nice, no-risk, free-agent pickup, but it remains to be seen what he has left in his battered knee.

If I were the Giants I would want another big-time receiver. And knowing that Eli Mannings biggest issue going all the way back to college is throwing the ball too high at times, Id want to find a tall receiver, too. Its worth noting here that Texas A&Ms Mike Evans is 6-5.

Offensive line:

Fixing the offensive line was their No. 1 priority in the offseason, according to just about everyone in the organization. So what did they do? They signed Geoff Schwartz, one of the top guards on the market. Then they added a center (J.D. Walton) who hasnt played since 2012 and lots of depth.

All that is good, and it will make the line better, but try projecting the line beyond this year. Other than Schwartz and RT Justin Pugh, who are you sure will be a future starter on the line? LT Will Beatty is coming off an awful year and recovering from a broken leg, and we dont know for sure how ready hell be for this season. This will be guard Chris Snees final season, and no one knows what Walton can still give.

So Id think long and hard about a future starter along the line. Ideally Id want an interior lineman who could be the future starting center. But if a top tackle prospect is there at 12, how can they resist? Yes, theoretically that could give them a logjam at tackle if Beatty is healthy and improves, but they can always move someone inside.

Tight end:

Though its starting to seem theoretically obvious that the Giants will take a tight end early, Im skeptical since this is a position that hasnt exactly been highly valued in the Tom Coughlin years. Maybe that will change with new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo. But they had opportunities to bring in tight ends, and they kept passing.

I suspect they look at a couple of veterans they signed Daniel Fells and Kellen Davis as potential Martellus Bennett types. Maybe not as talented, but like Bennett they are guys that have some receiving skills, have had some issues in that department and have also been underused. I suspect that between those two and third-year pro Adrien Robinson whom they still hope will emerge as a threat they may just piece things together at that position.

That said, drafting one with receiving skills wouldnt be an awful idea at all. Im just not sure they desperately need to do it in the first round.

Defensive end:

Someone once said You can never have enough pass rushers and thats true. The Giants do have what they hope is a stud in Jason Pierre-Paul, but his back could be a lingering issue in the future. Robert Ayers is a nice addition, but hes not signed long-term and probably is just the gap-bridger until Damontre Moore is ready. And after the massive paycut he took, this is almost certainly Mathias Kiwanukas final season.

They dont necessarily need a defensive end for this year, if everything breaks right, but they may need one for the future. And too much at this position is never too much.

Running back:

They signed Rashad Jennings, they like Peyton Hillis as a solid backup, and they will still pray as Coughlin said for the recovery of David Wilson. But even if Wilson recovers, his neck injury was serious enough that I dont know anyone who is sure that the next hit he takes wont injure his neck again. He is an uncertainty, which to me means they should have a contingency plan.

Again, that doesnt mean a first-rounder Ive always said that running backs shouldnt be taken in the first round unless they are truly a special talent but maybe somewhere on Day 3 they should grab someone who can play, just in case.

Defensive tackle:

I know they lost Linval Joseph and everyone is panicked about that, but the Giants have high hopes for Johnathan Hankins and they also have Cullen Jenkins under contract. So I dont see this as a position where they need to rush out and grab someone 12th overall. I think they can wait until Day 3 and find someone to develop.

Safety:

Again, not necessarily a first-round pick, especially since Will Hill and Stevie Brown have proven you dont necessarily need a first-round talent at this position. But with Brown coming back from a torn ACL and Antrel Rolle entering the final year of his contract, some future planning is needed.

Cornerback/linebacker:

Free agency seems to have set them up pretty well at these positions at least for now.

Quarterback: No. At least, not yet.

Steve Smith: 5' 11"

Hakeem Nicks: 6' 1"

Victor Cruz: 6' 0"

Mario Manningham 6'0"

These are all wide receivers that have had a degree of success on this team under Eli--3 of them had some of the best seasons a Giants wide receiver ever had. I put Manningham in because he did have flashes of quality play his first stay, even if he did do some boneheaded things; while he did nearly nothing elsewhere.

If 6'1" Jamaar Taylor could have gotten healthy, he would have done well with Eli. The few times he was healthy, he looked good.

So, can we put the whole "Eli needs a tall receiver" meme to rest now? The only tall receivers (other than tight ends) he's had are Burress and Barden, and obviously the success rate was 50%. Toomer was 6'3", which I guess is tall, but hardly exceptional.

What he needs are guys that know how to run solid routes.

As a guy who was advocating for Mike Evans at 12, who would be a fine pick, the value at WR appears to be later. If Watkins slips into the back half of the top 10, I would say trade up, because he is a special talent, can't miss guy. Other than that, if one of the top 3 offensive tackles are there it will be tempting, and of course, I'm still a huge fan of Donald, who is a can't miss guy as well, IMO.

i think the giants think they have their starting o-line now

There's every chance you're right, but I hope you're wrong.

Center is a big if, with the guy they signed trying to come back from injury. Who's the right guard beyond Snee? Which Beatty will show up?

I just don't trust the backups from last year. At the very least, we need a center and guard.

i hope i'm wrong too. i am worried that they are just going to go all in with the center they signed though. i think we have no choice but to give beatty at least another year. i personally think chris snee is finished but im not going to bitch too loudly about him starting until he starts to suck

I think they've shored up the o-line somewhat for this coming season, but we're not set for the future at all...and Beatty is a HUGE question mark, even if he is healed.

Build that line for the future. The moves they've made so far are fine for this season, but it's not a fix for the future.

I was heavily in favor of Mike Evans until I remembered Beatty's situation. If there's a "can't miss" ot available at 12 I want him. Otherwise... take Evans and give Eli another serious receiving threat.

i hope i'm wrong too. i am worried that they are just going to go all in with the center they signed though. i think we have no choice but to give beatty at least another year. i personally think chris snee is finished but im not going to bitch too loudly about him starting until he starts to suck

Snee might very well be finished. That's why someone like Zach Martin might be the way to go. Snee fails, you have Schwartz go to his natural side, and Martin goes left guard. If Beatty sucks again, Pugh and Martin are tackles.

After this year, I think cutting Beatty at least won't leave dead money. Could be wrong, though. But I agree, he isn't going anywhere this year.

Actually I think we can go into the season with this line and new offense and be just fine. The lineman we signed are young players who were drafted relatively high and were signed to "show me" contracts. I also have faith Beatty will have a bounce back year. Center is my biggest concern but luckily because of the nature of the position we can wait to day 3 and still get a quality player.

I think we attacked OL in free agency hard this way we can go get weapons for Eli in the draft. I don't think Ebron or Evans (or Lewan) makes it to our pick however.

We need a TE for Eli. Ralph is crazy if he thinks we'll be fine with Davis and Fells as our starters at TE. I think Eli needs a safety blanket at TE and a play maker at receiver.

I repeat this all the time, but I'd draft offensive and defensive line in the 1st round every year if I could. You live and die by the strenghth of your line.

I under Vachiano's point, but talent wise, this draft is deep at wide receiver. Guys like Moncrief,Bryant and Benjamin could be there when the Giants are up in the 2nd.

Here's the only problem I see with the wideouts, it's underclassmen deep, nearly all juniors and they might have some maturity/experience issues.

I repeat this all the time, but I'd draft offensive and defensive line in the 1st round every year if I could. You live and die by the strenghth of your line.

I under Vachiano's point, but talent wise, this draft is deep at wide receiver. Guys like Moncrief,Bryant and Benjamin could be there when the Giants are up in the 2nd.

Here's the only problem I see with the wideouts, it's underclassmen deep, nearly all juniors and they might have some maturity/experience issues.

Man, I was just going to start a "where's Boohyah" thread over in GD. How ya been?

Mario Manningham 6'0"

These are all wide receivers that have had a degree of success on this team under Eli--3 of them had some of the best seasons a Giants wide receiver ever had. I put Manningham in because he did have flashes of quality play his first stay, even if he did do some boneheaded things; while he did nearly nothing elsewhere.

If 6'1" Jamaar Taylor could have gotten healthy, he would have done well with Eli. The few times he was healthy, he looked good.

So, can we put the whole "Eli needs a tall receiver" meme to rest now? The only tall receivers (other than tight ends) he's had are Burress and Barden, and obviously the success rate was 50%. Toomer was 6'3", which I guess is tall, but hardly exceptional.

Agreed...and that doesn't require a 1st round pick. It requires some solid scouting.....there are many good WRs that will be available in rounds 3+.

The more I think about it, the less secure I feel about left tackle.

Man, I was just going to start a "where's Boohyah" thread over in GD. How ya been?

You start that thread and wait for a slew of "who the fuck cares" responses.

I've been around, I I just go through phases of not posting much these days.

I agree wholeheartedly...I'd love Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans.....BUT - winning clubs win by building the trenches first. It's not flashy, but in order to control the game, you have to own the trenches first. The offense clicks when the line does it's job...even without big name offensive players. And a dominate d-line keeps the other team on their heels.

Once the trenches are solid as a rock...then start adding pieces to the puzzle.

Also, I'd love to see us have a solid running game for a change, and if we did, the passing game suddenly opens up....and since RBs are pretty much "plug and play" anymore, it depends largely on the offensive line. The best running back in the NFL doesn't do much when a DE or LB is dragging him to the ground the second he has his hands on the ball....and the plays drawn up for a RB to blast through a hole in the line doesn't work if you don't have a line that can make that hole.

Build the trenches and good things will come!

Mario Manningham 6'0"

It's not so much height that I look for in a WR so much as I look for physicality ... I want an Anquan Boldin out there... But not in the first round ... I want an OL or DL in the 1st.

It's not so much height that I look for in a WR so much as I look for physicality ... I want an Anquan Boldin out there... But not in the first round ... I want an OL or DL in the 1st.

Height is nice, but it doesn't guarantee anything unless that receiver has the ability to exploit it. Just being tall doesn't mean the guy uses it to great advantage...and in fact, usually means he's just a tad slower and a little less able to make crisp cuts to shake off faster, quicker corners.

I want a WR who understands "routes", who is on the same page with Eli as far as timing goes. Having a 5 inch advantage means nothing if the receiver cuts at the wrong time, or went the wrong way, or is out of sync with the QB. Timing and being on the same page is everything when it comes to the passing game.