SportsWrath

You're the GM - Taylor Lewan or Zach Martin?

BleedinBlue

There is a strong possibility that both Lewan and Martin will be available with the 12th pick. And there's a strong possibility that the Giants are wanting a Tackle in the first round.

Lewan has size: 6'8" / 315 lbs (for my Canadian and UK friends: 203.20 centimeters / 142.88 kilograms)

Martin is smaller: 6'4 / 309 lbs (for my Canadian and UK friends: 193.04 centimeters / 140.16 kilograms)

Both are athletic and have a storied college résumé:

Lewan

Strengths:

• Well rounded
  • Reliable pass-protector
  • Quick feet
  • Skilled at mirroring speed rushers going for corner
  • Holds up against bull rushes
  • Can push open holes
  • Tough run-blocker
  • Strong hands
  • Sustains blocks
  • Physical blocker
  • Good length
  • Can play with good pad level
  • Mean streak
  • Very physical with defensive players
  • Blocks with authority
  • Gets to blocks on the second level
  • Can intimidate defenders
  • Fast at hitting kick out blocks
  • Experienced and successful against good college rushers
  • Improved each season
  • Wants to be great
  • Ready to play immediately
  • Flexible to play in zone-blocking or man-blocking schemes

Martin

Strengths:

• Superb technician
  • Good athlete
  • Quick feet
  • Natural bender
  • Agile
  • Mobility
  • Skilled at adjusting and picking up blitzers
  • Ability to stay on his feet
  • Developed kick slide
  • Excellent fit for a zone-blocking scheme
  • Intelligent
  • Hard worker
  • Experienced
  • Good character
  • Intangibles

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been some questions (fair or not) about Lewan's character and work ethic. It might be total bullshit.

There are no questions about Martin's character and his work ethic is legendary.

D.E. - Dee Ford in the Senior Bowl was a monster who blew out LT's left and right and was the star of the show with multiple sacks and QB hurries. When interviewed, he said he had never seen a tackle like Martin and there was simply no way to beat him. Lewan did not play in the Senior Bowl, so there is nothing to compare it to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You are the GM and both guys are sitting there. Who do you choose?

I bring this up because for months, Lewan has been graded slightly higher than Martin simply because of size. However, I've been reading a lot of team pages and more often than not lately, I find people moving Martin up and Lewan down and a preference of Martin taking shape.

I think they'll both have incredible careers in the NFL. I watched the Senior Bowl and I was blown away by Martin. He dominated every D.E. they threw at him and was swinging to different sides of the line to help blow holes open for a run play. He was amazing. I wish I had seen Lewan play, but I never got the chance.

I bring this up because for months, Lewan has been graded slightly higher than Martin simply because of size. However, I've been reading a lot of team pages and more often than not lately, I find people moving Martin up and Lewan down and a preference of Martin taking shape.

I think they'll both have incredible careers in the NFL. I watched the Senior Bowl and I was blown away by Martin. He dominated every D.E. they threw at him and was swinging to different sides of the line to help blow holes open for a run play. He was amazing. I wish I had seen Lewan play, but I never got the chance.

Physically, Lewan is impressive.....looked like a huge wide receiver at the Combine.

The criticism I've heard is he gets away with a lot of holds.

Lewan, then Martin. If both are available, trading down becomes a real possibility...if I'm the GM.

I've thought the same thing. But if Lewan is gone, there is no guarantee that Martin will be there when the Giants are on the clock if they trade down a couple of spots. Hell, the team offering to move up a couple of slots might be doing so to grab Martin.

Draft day will be very interesting.

I've thought the same thing. But if Lewan is gone, there is no guarantee that Martin will be there when the Giants are on the clock if they trade down a couple of spots. Hell, the team offering to move up a couple of slots might be doing so to grab Martin.

Draft day will be very interesting.

That's always the risk of trading down.

I love draft day...I just wish I had the time to read up on players/team situations like I used to. I also wish that networks would work harder at coming up with player film instead of showing me Mel's big board 1000x. And not just highlights, but struggles. I know I can go to youtube and come up with some of that, but if they were to have a nice huge database prepared for all the players, it'd add to draft day.

Lewan seems to be the opposite of Beatty and will do well against bull rushes, but get beat inside by finesse guys. Analysts say Martin should move to guard, but I think he should stay at OT. Martin has never played OG and I think he would get driven back by Suh type DT's. Lewan does get penalized alot and is a bit of a bully on and off the field. Who knows if he will in today's NFL were lineman are allowed to do whatever they can to protect the QB. If I had my choice I would take Martin, based on character, intelligence and the fit in our offense.

My only bias is that I prefer offensive linemen to be shorter... for that alone I'd say Martin... either one would be fine I guess.

That's a good point. Nothing worse than the QB trying to pass the ball and banging it off the back of the head of his lineman because he's so tall....LOL

I have a hunch that Martin might go ahead of Lewan and might not be available. Everything I read says a lot of teams are enamored with him.

Personally, I'd be happy with either, but would prefer Martin just because of high character and versatility. Both are sensational prospects that will do well in the NFL. I trust the Giants have done their homework and have one rated higher than the other.

I really, really want the first round pick to address the offensive line. And someone who can come right in a play this season at a high level.

That's always the risk of trading down.

I love draft day...I just wish I had the time to read up on players/team situations like I used to. I also wish that networks would work harder at coming up with player film instead of showing me Mel's big board 1000x. And not just highlights, but struggles. I know I can go to youtube and come up with some of that, but if they were to have a nice huge database prepared for all the players, it'd add to draft day.

Yes, the draft coverage on both ESPN and NFLN seems geared towards guys that have never watched the draft or are fucking clueless on any of the prospects. Then they'll act like they are smart because they throw out a name. A draft geek like me, will be going I've been on that prospect for months.

Here's the thing. Beatty isn't going anywhere this year (don't know his cap hit in 2016) but in 2015, it's high. If he's healthy, he's gonna play. Beatty can't play either guard spot, and wasn't exactly great at right tackle when he started a few games there in 2009. (it's different footwork though)

You just signed Geoff Schwartz to a 4 year deal to be your starting left guard. Looks like J.D. Walton is gonna be given a shot at center (think the Giants draft someone in the mid rounds to compete there) It's Snee's job to lose at right guard and obviously, Pugh at right tackle. I know Zach Martin can kick inside, same with Lewan.

I say draft Zach Martin. I have a hard time saying a male with the first name of "Taylor" is a tough guy, but that's just me.

Yes, the draft coverage on both ESPN and NFLN seems geared towards guys that have never watched the draft or are fucking clueless on any of the prospects. Then they'll act like they are smart because they throw out a name. A draft geek like me, will be going I've been on that prospect for months.

Well you got to keep in mind, a lot of people just don't watch college football so they don't know a single thing about a player coming out or what they have done.

I mean I find college football on the level of cricket or pool, so really I have no idea what a player has done in college.

Most sites or shows out there either go either way to in depth on a player, talking about his shoe size and how since his dad was a right handed guy that he will have a 23.56756435% chance to success in the NFL or just show some highlight reels of them.

Well you got to keep in mind, a lot of people just don't watch college football so they don't know a single thing about a player coming out or what they have done.

I mean I find college football on the level of cricket or pool, so really I have no idea what a player has done in college.

Most sites or shows out there either go either way to in depth on a player, talking about his shoe size and how since his dad was a right handed guy that he will have a 23.56756435% chance to success in the NFL or just show some highlight reels of them.

I get that, but they act like it's an epiphany that Clowney is going to be a good football player.

The Giants need their first few picks to contribute RIGHT NOW, not in 2016. Offensive line is the logical way to go, and the only way of keeping Eli upright.

My feelings exactly. I'd be deliriously happy if we came away with Martin in the first and Yankey in the second. We'd have one nasty ass O-line now and for the future. I wouldn't care who we drafted after that, although a big TE would be nice in the third.

The Giants need their first few picks to contribute RIGHT NOW, not in 2016. Offensive line is the logical way to go, and the only way of keeping Eli upright.

But, if it's Oline they won't be contributing right away for all the reasons you listed prior.

An article on teams wanting Martin over Lewan: http://fansided.com/2014/04/12/nfl-draft-rumors-several-teams-prefer-zack-martin-taylor-lewan/#!DKJXA

From "DraftInsider":

"– Several teams presently grade Zach Martin of Notre Dame ahead of Michigan’s Taylor Lewan. For the record I disagree and feel Lewan is the most underappreciated of the top tackles. I’m told Martin offers potential at four spots on the offensive line, both tackle and guard spots, and is less prone to making mental mistakes compared to Lewan."