SportsWrath

Jacksonville planning to hire Doug Marrone as HC; Coughlin to front office

Mr. P

They are making some strong decisions. But a lot of decisions Jax has made have looked good on paper.

With that said, there's something up with Marrone. I don't know what it is but from what I've read, almost everywhere he's gone, his staff and players can't stand him. And bailing on Buffalo when he was their glimmer of hope was shitty.

I thought the players in Buffalo did love him.

It sounds like it was mixed. Marrone seems like a Coughlin carbon copy, prior to Coughlin getting older and evolving. Hard-nosed dude. Highly structured, no nonsense guy. I think some of the vets probably respected that and the younger guys probably felt like someone was watching over their shoulder.

The bail and text message good bye to his players definitely didn't earn him any respect when he left, though. He just seems like a dude who'd be hard to like but perhaps in retrospect some of those guys regard him like former players regard Coughlin.

They are making some strong decisions. But a lot of decisions Jax has made have looked good on paper.

With that said, there's something up with Marrone. I don't know what it is but from what I've read, almost everywhere he's gone, his staff and players can't stand him. And bailing on Buffalo when he was their glimmer of hope was shitty.

I disagree with that take on Marrone bailing on Buffalo. That was a situation he had control of and didn't like what was coming down the road. There are problems with the Buffalo Bills that go beyond one coach. I think the Bills are worse off than the Browns.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with either of those hires. Coughlin will always be the man here but who knows what a vice president of football operations even does? Knowing Coughlin, he'll hold on to mediocre assistants for far longer than they deserve.

Marrone is a non-starter. I can't name one remarkable accomplishment off the top of my head, just things like, "well he took a shitty team and did some kind of, sort of not-shitty things with them."

I guess we'll see. I always liked Jacksonville but this doesn't set my world on fire.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with either of those hires. Coughlin will always be the man here but who knows what a vice president of football operations even does? Knowing Coughlin, he'll hold on to mediocre assistants for far longer than they deserve.

Marrone is a non-starter. I can't name one remarkable accomplishment off the top of my head, just things like, "well he took a shitty team and did some kind of, sort of not-shitty things with them."

I guess we'll see. I always liked Jacksonville but this doesn't set my world on fire.

I had to look it up

He is now part of a triangle responsible for running the team similar to John Elway in Denver. The other two people in the triangle is the owner and the general manager.

So when you have a bad draft, shitty free agency decisions: Blame those three.

Now I read another reason why they are going with Marrone is because he will work with Bortles.

I disagree with that take on Marrone bailing on Buffalo. That was a situation he had control of and didn't like what was coming down the road. There are problems with the Buffalo Bills that go beyond one coach. I think the Bills are worse off than the Browns.

For the most part, it's the take around the league and especially in Buffalo...he had been virtually assured the same level of control and two days into the timeframe for him opt out, he was leaning towards staying. But, then again, who wouldn't want 4 million dollars for nothing?

The Jaguars have announced the hiring on Tyrone Wheatley as their new running backs coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/16/jaguars-hire-tyrone-wheatley-as-running-backs-coach/related/

Great move. He can show up a week late to camp out of shape and sit on the bench while the assistant RBs coach does the coaching.