SportsWrath

Jenkins embracing new role.

BlueInCanada

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Jackrabbit is teaching the puppies how to play.

Last month, the Giants selected cornerbacks with three of their 10 draft choices, prompting someone to ask general manager Dave Gettleman at his post-draft news conference if veteran Janoris Jenkins – “Jackrabbit” to everyone on the team – would remain on the roster.

“Janoris has a bunch of puppies he's got to train,” Gettleman said.

And Jenkins is doing exactly that. Since the rookies joined the veterans last week at the team’s offseason workouts, Jenkins has offered advice and counsel in the meeting and locker rooms and led by example on the field.

“I’m embracing it, as far as being the leader of the room,” said Jenkins, 30. “Just lead the young guys the best way I can, and show them how to be a pro.”

And how does he do that?

“Just lead by example,” he said. “Go out, work hard, compete on the ball and finish, and just come out to work every day.”

Coach Pat Shurmur said after the draft that he expected Jenkins to excel in that role.

“He'll become a good teacher,” Shurmur said. “I admire Janoris. He's tough. He's competitive. He always answers the bell, and I've gained a huge appreciation for him coaching him over the last year or so, and so just … put all these young guys in a room with him, and I think Janoris will be Janoris, and if these young guys are smart enough to listen, then they're going to learn a lot of really good stuff.”

https://www.giants.com/news/cb-jenkins-embracing-new-leadership-role

Really excited to see what Baker, Beal and Love bring to the team

I have a sinking feeling that between Beal, Love, Jenkins, and Ballentine... Jenkins is gonna be on some other team's roster by week nine, and we'll have an extra fifth-rounder.

Beal looked ok at practice so far. Kinda excited to see what this kid can bring

I have a sinking feeling that between Beal, Love, Jenkins, and Ballentine... Jenkins is gonna be on some other team's roster by week nine, and we'll have an extra fifth-rounder.

If we're out of the hunt, or the D is playing poorly, I hope so.

Well thats not necessarily a bad thing... it could mean the younger guys outperformed him... JJ isnt getting any younger either so wed be lucky to get a 5th for him.