SportsWrath

Giants Looking at Manny?

fringe

Manny Being A Giant?

(01-02) 16:19 PST -- Manny Ramirez to the Giants? It could happen, but nothing appears to be close.

The Chronicle has confirmed that the Giants have had conversations with agent Scott Boras regarding the 36-year-old left fielder, but industry sources say a report that the Giants have extended a formal offer to Ramirez for a deal of up to four years was inaccurate.

No deal seems imminent between any team and Ramirez, who has 527 career home runs and guided the Dodgers to a National League West title last season after his July-deadline acquisition from the Red Sox.

If the Giants seriously engage Ramirez, Boras surely will get the Dodgers involved in trying to re-sign him, and Boras and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti have not spoken about Ramirez for weeks, save for a recent game of voice-mail tag.

As one major-league source familiar with Ramirez's situation said, "This is in the early innings, not the later innings."

The Denver Post first reported Thursday that the Giants were "aggressively pursuing" Ramirez. Then, KPIX (Channel 5) reported the Giants had offered Ramirez what looks like a two-year contract with a third-year vesting option and a fourth-year team option.

The Giants are not expected to propose a contract that lengthy to Ramirez. However, that they even are discussing a deal with Ramirez speaks to the state of the division in which they play and how tilted the free-agent market is toward buyers.

They just came out saying that Manny was too pricey...all words. It's them vs. the Dodgers now and either way, one team is going to get better. I actually think I may have more confidence in the Giants' rotation over the Dodgers' now...and that's big. If Barry Zito wants to see a real left handed pitcher, all he has to do is look up at his new teammate.

aren't they trying to rebuild with youth? what good would manny do? i don't see him as any kind of missing piece

i agree that it would be against their professed philosophy. i disagree that he's not a missing piece. he would make them instant contenders in nl west. from a fan standpoint, i would enjoy watching him swing the bat as much as i did bonds.

i agree that it would be against their professed philosophy. i disagree that he's not a missing piece. he would make them instant contenders in nl west. from a fan standpoint, i would enjoy watching him swing the bat as much as i did bonds.

you think that's all you need on offense?

with renteria molina and rowand, lewis and sandoval, yes. i would like more offense but we are talking nl west.

true. i expect the dbacks to take a step back next season. on the other hand jeff moorad (my new hero) is about to stop the pads fire sale so we'll see what happens :evilgrin:

true. i expect the dbacks to take a step back next season. on the other hand jeff moorad (my new hero) is about to stop the pads fire sale so we'll see what happens :evilgrin:

what does their lineup look like this season?