SportsWrath

Giants sign WR James Jones to one-year deal

Mr. P

Giants signed WR James Jones, formerly of the Raiders, to a one-year contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/313740/Giants-sign-WR-James-Jones-to-one-year-deal-

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

James Jones loves McAdoo. Respects the heck out of Tom Coughlin RT @ManganTime: @RapSheet Knows the McAdoo offense well, too…

A pretty risk-free signing. Best case- a good insurance policy when inevitably someone goes down. I am not 100% sure he makes the team though. I'm leaning towards believing he won't make the team.

Giants just have too much talent at the WR position, I'd hope they'd not jam that up with a crusty vet who is on the decline and had a pretty terrible season last year.

I think this is Cruz protection, just in case the comeback doesn't work out.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I'd only add that it's also Randle protection in case the latter part of last season was a fluke.

Right now though, if I'm Corey Washington, I'm really pissed.

He's never been good in the slot. I think we keep him on the outside and Harris would end up as the next man up in the slot if Cruz went down

Harris had microfracture surgery last month.

If anything, I'd say he's better than Preston Parker.

In his bad year last year, with a rookie quarterback throwing to him on the raiders, he still caught 73 passes for 666 yards.

Jones fielded offers from the Eagles, Chiefs, Seahawks and Bengals, but decided to sign with the Giants due to his relationship with New York offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, per the report.

Jones had 73 receptions for 666 yards and six touchdowns last season.

Randle only has the 1 year remaining, right?

Yep.

I don't see him on the team in '16. If you go back and look at threads from last year, everyone hated him until about week 12... and lets not forget he was benched twice in three weeks against the Jaguars and Redskins. Even when he's "good" he doesn't run crisp routes, doesn't catch with his hands, and can't out-jump a DB... and has he ever made a play on specials?

He's good at the square-in route and the basket catch but that's about it.

Randle also beats the hell out of most teams 3rd corner....he's one of the better options out there for a 3rd WR.

Of course, you could probably say the same for Jones. Like I said, this affects the back end of the WR group more than anyone....guys like Corey Washington in particular. That guy...I'd love to know the deal. He does extremely well in preseason...but was nowhere to be found in the regular season. Sure, OBJ set the world on fire...but you'd have thought CW would have found more opportunity in the offense. I'm hoping to see more of him in the regular season this year.