SportsWrath

R.A. Dickey

AL is for elite pitchers.

Dickey is not an elite pitcher. And never was.

The Mets hosed you guys and got a Stud young catcher.

Dickey will be mediocre for you. The AL is tough. Especially the AL east and all the hitters parks.

Take Phil Hughes and throw him on the Padres and the guy would throw up banging numbers. But since he's not that good, he's mediocre at best for the Yankees.

ive said this in other posts but its just stupid to pay a knuckleballer that kind of money. For once the Mets made out like Bandits. The AL has seen the Knuckleball for a good amount of time with Tim Wakefield. On top of that a KB is at the mercy of so much more then his abilities. There not trust worthy pitchers. They can throw the same stuff and 1 hit and team or be clobbered like he was today. If you need to win one game i would never send him out and that what you need in a Number 1 pitcher.

1.Dickey isnt that good. Last year was phenomenal, I think Alex Anthropolous is the only person that thought he could repeat it.

2. The AL is much tougher to pitch in

3. The Mets home park is an extreme pitchers park

4. The SkyDome is a hitters haven

Lot of top pitchers got rocked this weekend. Strasberg, Cain among them. It's April.

yeah but Dickey doesnt have the track record of those other guys. As Ive said in another thread, one great year at 36 years old(and 1 other good seaon), when youve been awful your entire career, is a fluke.

he has gotten better with the knuckler, but I wouldnt count on him being any ace...Id be shocked if was better than league average for the remainder of his career.

I don't know, the Niekro boys ate up a lot of innings, well into their 40's , I believe. With that lineup , he can be successful with a 4 something era

I agree with that..but he isnt going to be the ace that people have seemed to crown him based on a fluke season at age 36.

A 4+ ERA is league average or worse(depending on it being the high or low 4's). And that isnt an ace by any means. he is a back of the rotation starter, nothing more. And those type of guys dont cost a top prospect and 15-20 mil per year.

You can call up a mediocre pitching prospect and get the same results for a penny on the dollar.

It was a phenomenal deal for the mets. they really cashed in on the fluke year by Suck My Dickey...and Alex anthopoulos got taken hook, line and sinker.

Who knows? The hottest pitcher in baseball for the last 8 months is Barry Zito. :facepalm:

ha..but at least Zito was good when he was younger..though he has had plenty of years of suckage..at the time the giants signed him to what has turned out to be an albatross, he was a very good and successful young pitcher who was a cy young winner. He had many good seasons in Oakland, not just one fluke seasn at an old age.

I dont think many people saw his implosion coming so hard and fast...especially going from the AL to the NL and his age.

Barry Zito career has been an enigma.

ha..but at least Zito was good when he was younger..though he has had plenty of years of suckage..at the time the giants signed him to what has turned out to be an albatross, he was a very good and successful young pitcher who was a cy young winner. He had many good seasons in Oakland, not just one fluke seasn at an old age.

I dont think many people saw his implosion coming so hard and fast...especially going from the AL to the NL and his age.

Barry Zito career has been an enigma.

Yup, and all of his issues are from the neck up. No arm problems ever.

I don't know who you are but if you think Zito is about the fastball speed, you don't know much.

No I know he not about and over powering fastball like verlander but he has lost speed on his pitches. he has some arm issues not tommy john status but arm isssues non the less.

You can't compare Wakefield to Dickey because Dickey throws his knuckler 10 MPH faster, even Wakefield would tell you that.

Which also hurts him even more. Tims had more time for its to bottom out Dickeys is getting there faster higher in the zone