SportsWrath

My take on Nicks' future...

Allstarjim

This is his last season as a Giant. Not so if Reese doesn't drop over $8 mil per on Cruz. No doubt Nicks is not taking less than that... Nicks will easily get some team to pay $10 mil per, and maybe even Mike Wallace money or more. No way the Giants are going there.

And that's ok. He's a very good player that has had plenty of injury problems. Is there a chance he stays? Sure, there's always a chance... but if the Giants devote that kind of money to two receivers, then it will definitely hamstring Reese's ability to re-mold the trenches and put a quality product on the field.

This is his last season as a Giant. Not so if Reese doesn't drop over $8 mil per on Cruz. No doubt Nicks is not taking less than that... Nicks will easily get some team to pay $10 mil per, and maybe even Mike Wallace money or more. No way the Giants are going there.

And that's ok. He's a very good player that has had plenty of injury problems. Is there a chance he stays? Sure, there's always a chance... but if the Giants devote that kind of money to two receivers, then it will definitely hamstring Reese's ability to re-mold the trenches and put a quality product on the field.

I think the Giants paid Cruz his fair value... they will offer Nicks his fair value... to the tune of $10M or so... if a raider-like team offers more and Nicks goes after the money so be it... We can land our own FA WR for the money... Nicks is good but there are plenty of WR in this league better than him and healthier too.

I think he is gone after this season and we draft a WR in the second round. Depending on where we end up in the draft we will trade down for extra picks to shore the trenches Im sure.

No way we spend an early pick on a WR... the trenches will be built there and LB too.

Agree

Frankl I am tired of watching this team . If the plan is to field another roster that depends on big plays , with no running game and no defense, I won't watch next season. So if that is part of what is needed to resign Nicks I won't be around to watch it. I'll cancel my NFL ticket and get the Hockey package instead .

Agree

Frankl I am tired of watching this team . If the plan is to field another roster that depends on big plays , with no running game and no defense, I won't watch next season. So if that is part of what is needed to resign Nicks I won't be around to watch it. I'll cancel my NFL ticket and get the Hockey package instead .

That's whack

MJD was great from what I can remember... he's def better than BJ.

No, definitely not. Not anymore. He is slower, if that's possible, than Brandon Jacobs at this point in his career.

they just floated his name as one to watch before the trade deadline. Green Bay, and another team suffered big WR injuries today.

Early word is neither Jones nor Cobb's injuries looks too serious. I already lost Julio Jones this week, if I lose Cobb too my season is fucked.

Nicks had a future on this team up until the offensive line turned into a catastrophe. Now it just doesn't make sense to keep him around when we could be improving the offensive line. It is unfortunate but this season killed the chances of keeping Nicks. There are other positions in serious need of improvement and depth.

Nicks had a future on this team up until the offensive line turned into a catastrophe. Now it just doesn't make sense to keep him around when we could be improving the offensive line. It is unfortunate but this season killed the chances of keeping Nicks. There are other positions in serious need of improvement and depth.

I'm saying we could do both.. .a lot of teams have stellar wide receivers and a stellar OL.

we should trade Nicks ...NOW ....IMO ....for something like a 2nd and a 4th round pick.

the season is over , he cant really stay healthy , we cant afford to resign him anyway .....plenty of teams need WR's now ......I wish JR would just get on and do it

That's whack

Maybe it is. Or maybe this sport and this team has changed to the point where neither is particularly enjoyable.

I don't know if it's Gilbride, Fewell, Reese, Coughlin, or the players, or some sort of combination.....but have zero interest watching us try to hit 40 yard bombs all day on offense, and being unable to sack a QB or tackle a running back for a loss.

The team is steadily losing it's toughness, and I'm losing interest. I think alot of it has to do with changes in the rules that favor an arena style of play. Combine that with our no-talent, soft defense, and I feel like I'm watching a fucking Yanni concert.

Hockey, Baseball, and then Football.....and Football is a distant 3rd place now. Back when the rules and team favored defensive chess matches, football was hands-down my favorite.

yeah, it's nothing personal. Nicks has had a successful tenure here and we don't win the Super Bowl without him but we're one of the worst teams in the league now with numerous holes to fill and having Randle ready to ascend makes Nicks a luxury more than a necessity at this point. He'll get paid well by somebody still extremely young and he's a better all around receiver than Wallace, who's getting 10 million per.

is that 30 assuming that we cut rolle's 9 mil?

Yeah he counts $9,250,000 against the cap and his dead money is only $2 mill. He could definitely be a release candidate. I think we can retain Nicks, if he didn't count that much against the cap in his first year, if was willing to backload his contract or something like that. We are stuck with guys like Baas, who counts $8 million against the cap and his dead money is $6.5 million.

New York Giants: Hakeem Nicks not being shopped

The New York Giants are winless and floating, but don't expect a fire sale in the Meadowlands.

NFL Media's Kimberly Jones learned Monday from a person familiar with the situation that Big Blue has zero plans to part ways with veteran wide receiver Hakeem Nicks:

"I'm a Giant, and that's the only thing I can focus on right now," Nicks told reporters Monday, per ESPN.com's Dan Graziano. "I'm a Giant, and I love playing for the Giants."

Either way, Nicks' future in New York is uncertain. He's in the final year of his contract with a team that just forked over a pile of money to fellow wideout Victor Cruz.

The Giants would be wise to listen to trade offers. If someone blew them away, New York could part with Nicks and start Rueben Randle across from Cruz. It's not as if Nicks' 25 catches, 442 yards and zero touchdowns are irreplaceable.

New York doesn't want to give off the impression of a team waving the white flag, but they're 0-6 with holes all over the roster. Offseason changes will cut deep in Gotham, so it boils down to how committed the Giants are to keeping Nicks around for what is shaping up to be a widespread rebuild.

New York Giants: Hakeem Nicks not being shopped