SportsWrath

Perry Fewell: Greatest Defensive Coordinator in the NFL Today

Tempest

2/14 on 3rd down + 10 punts = Blame Fewell.

Here's how I see this... The Eagles had their D fired up and ate Manning alive... our D especially the line were like zombies... they still allowed 27 points and looked winded out there... it's like football isn't their profession so why stay in shape :facepalm:

Nope, offense and defense are both to blame. The offense sucked, but they didn't give up 149 yds rushing, either. And a nice chunk of that was in the first quarter, so the whole "defense was tired" argument doesn't really flush.

The offense couldn't get out of their own way, there's no denying that. And every time it looked like they might get it together, they had a penalty or a sack, or both--you know, because Philly's defense needed the help. :wacko:

On the other hand, from the first series on, the defense looked completely bamboozled with Philly's no-huddle. Was this a surprise to them at this point? How do you look that unprepared when your offense is trying to do the same thing during practice? How does this not fall right onto the lap of Fewell?

NOBODY did their jobs last week, but I would have hoped that the side that has more talent and stability would have done better.

How many more years/made 3rd and 10+ downs/blown leads/blowouts do you guys need before it's obvious Fewell's schemes can not even slow, let alone stop, a good offense? Or does one playoff run cancel out 4 regular seasons of mediocrity or worse?

#1 in defended passes too. No one's "throwing at will" on them, they're just on the field all the damn time.

I don't think they're great or anything. As Stormy said they're under-performing, particularly the pass rush. Just pointing out there's SOME redeeming features. Jerk. :P

So far on this thread, I've been called "the mother ship" and "jerk." It's hurtful, I say. Hurtful. :TU:

We were sixth in defensive DVOA last season and fourth in weighted defensive DVOA. However the number 1 team (Seattle) was three times better than us and the number two team (Arizona) was twice as good as us. but I think that speaks to the point that it is REALLY hard to have a dominant defense in today's nfl. I don't think we were as awful as some think though.

So far this season we're 12th in defensive DVOA--7th against the pass, 20th against the run. Again though, Detroit is 7 times better than us and there's a huge drop off between them and Denver and then another big dropoff between Denver and San Fran. The rules just make it really hard to have a lockdown dominant defense unless everything breaks right for you. Look at Seattle: three times worse in DVOA than they were last year yet they're still rank fifth so far. They went from dominant to good and the only players they really lost were McDonald and Thurmond unless you want to count browner

Agreed....when your defense has you down 10 points right out of the gate, it puts pressure on your offense.

Down 20 points by the half.....thats bad defense.

Fewell doesnt attack enough plain and simple.

Well, it'd sure be shocking if the offense could put up some points on their opening possession instead of going three and out and punting. Real way to start momentum, right there, because the the scores are typically 10-0 other team after the Giants have already possessed the ball three times. I don't even know why we bother to choose to receive the ball every time we win a coin toss. It's conceding a three and out and giving the ball to the other team at the start of the second half, where they will undoubtedly extend their lead because the offense can't score any points in the first half.

These guys don't get that you can't win in an offense-centric league with an inconsistent offense. They'd rather bitch about a coordinator and his defense that forces turnovers but constantly gets put in shitty positions because when the offense can't move the ball, they REALLY can't move the ball. They ended up going backwards more times than I can even remember and spotting the Eagles 30+ yards. Even when they did move the ball, a stupid penalty like Weston Richburg attempting the flying headbutt off the top rope and all the fucking holding calls effect the defense when you come back, can't pick up the first down, and have to punt.

Well, it'd sure be shocking if the offense could put up some points on their opening possession instead of going three and out and punting. Real way to start momentum, right there, because the the scores are typically 10-0 other team after the Giants have already possessed the ball three times. I don't even know why we bother to choose to receive the ball every time we win a coin toss. It's conceding a three and out and giving the ball to the other team at the start of the second half, where they will undoubtedly extend their lead because the offense can't score any points in the first half.

As Fish noted, the Defense is talent heavy... allegedly. So for every 3 and out our offense makes, there should be a 3 and out our defense achieves... the fact they're on the field long can also be attributed to them not putting the breaks on opposing offenses... but bend bend bend and before you know it we cheer them on for finally allowing only a field goal...

As Fish noted, the Defense is talent heavy... allegedly. So for every 3 and out our offense makes, there should be a 3 and out our defense achieves... the fact they're on the field long can also be attributed to them not putting the breaks on opposing offenses... but bend bend bend and before you know it we cheer them on for finally allowing only a field goal...

How does that make sense? Ideally, there should be a 3 and out on every possession. But that's not realistic.

How does that make sense? Ideally, there should be a 3 and out on every possession. But that's not realistic.

Not asking for that on every possession... the bend but don't break approach keeps them on the field which means they'll break sooner or later... Perry Fewel didn't make any real adjustments till half thru the 3rd qtr against Philly... He's only "successful" because he's not Lynn or Sheridan. Asking for a DC who can make adjustments on the fly isn't too much to ask.. I don't think. But that's what we get with Coughlin, someone who isn't the best at evaluating coaching talent and only makes changes when he's forced by the FO... after the fans have let them hear it... Sheridan... Gilbride... come to mind.

We were sixth in defensive DVOA last season and fourth in weighted defensive DVOA. However the number 1 team (Seattle) was three times better than us and the number two team (Arizona) was twice as good as us. but I think that speaks to the point that it is REALLY hard to have a dominant defense in today's nfl. I don't think we were as awful as some think though.

So far this season we're 12th in defensive DVOA--7th against the pass, 20th against the run. Again though, Detroit is 7 times better than us and there's a huge drop off between them and Denver and then another big dropoff between Denver and San Fran. The rules just make it really hard to have a lockdown dominant defense unless everything breaks right for you. Look at Seattle: three times worse in DVOA than they were last year yet they're still rank fifth so far. They went from dominant to good and the only players they really lost were McDonald and Thurmond unless you want to count browner

The defense had good games against teams like Minnesota (playing Freeman, who'd been on the team less than a week), Green Bay (no Rodgers), and Philly (no Foles). Unless you're willing to argue that there was no dropoff in competency on these teams between 1st and 2nd string QBs (or in Minny's case, mysterious stranger); I don't see where my argument that we haven't been able to slow a good offense down for a long time is damaged.

Look at last years schedule--Every team with a good offense didn't just beat the defense, they slaughtered them.

These guys don't get that you can't win in an offense-centric league with an inconsistent offense. They'd rather bitch about a coordinator and his defense that forces turnovers but constantly gets put in shitty positions because when the offense can't move the ball, they REALLY can't move the ball. They ended up going backwards more times than I can even remember and spotting the Eagles 30+ yards. Even when they did move the ball, a stupid penalty like Weston Richburg attempting the flying headbutt off the top rope and all the fucking holding calls effect the defense when you come back, can't pick up the first down, and have to punt.

Well, technically, we didn't go 3 and out--we hit a 17 yard pass and went 4 and out. But I'll concede the point. And Philly had the ball first--so we didn't win the toss.

But I'm not asking for some mythological defense here--I'm asking for not every series by an opponent ending in points, and the occasional 3 and out. The occasional stop when it has to happen. Seriously, outside of the 2011 playoff run (and honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of one even including 2011), can you think of a time where this team kept a good offense below 25 pts? Maybe the Packers in 2012? (They weren't the powerhouse they were the previous 2 years, though.)

As far as adjustments go--were any made, or did Philly just let off of the gas once we were down 27 points? The whole 2nd half was garbage time.

Other teams are capable of forcing 3 and out on opening drives--why is it unreasonable for us to expect the same occasionally?

Personally, I'd be more than willing to give up the #1 ranking on INTs if it meant getting the opponent's punter involved more consistently.

For this team to have even a puncher's chance this season, the defense HAS to step up--the offense isn't good enough to carry the weight anymore, and hasn't been for a few seasons now.

I think Fewell is the poster boy for mediocre coordinators.

I don't expect anything from the giants D as long as Mr Softy is running the unit

He has turned som many tight ends into all pros I have lost count.

Escobar just got his 15 minutes of fame

The defense had good games against teams like Minnesota (playing Freeman, who'd been on the team less than a week), Green Bay (no Rodgers), and Philly (no Foles). Unless you're willing to argue that there was no dropoff in competency on these teams between 1st and 2nd string QBs (or in Minny's case, mysterious stranger); I don't see where my argument that we haven't been able to slow a good offense down for a long time is damaged.

Look at last years schedule--Every team with a good offense didn't just beat the defense, they slaughtered them.

strength of opponents is factored into those numbers and rankings. i think in today's game a good offense always beats a good (or in our case average) defense unless the defense is a historically dominant one. last night's game is probably an example of that

Yeah, its a different defense when Beason is out there.

Still, you aren't beating any competent offense by constantly rushing three. I think I can count on one hand the number of times the Giants attacked with four or more pass rushers. We knew the talent wasn't there, but the scheme didn't give them a chance either.

Yeah, its a different defense when Beason is out there.

Still, you aren't beating any competent offense by constantly rushing three. I think I can count on one hand the number of times the Giants attacked with four or more pass rushers. We knew the talent wasn't there, but the scheme didn't give them a chance either.

This is why I think Mr Softee cost us the game yesterday. It's funny... sad actually.. when on third and long I'm telling my friends watch the asshole rush only 3 and watch Romo have all day to find an open receiver... :facepalm:

This is why I think Mr Softee cost us the game yesterday. It's funny... sad actually.. when on third and long I'm telling my friends watch the asshole rush only 3 and watch Romo have all day to find an open receiver... :facepalm:

Completely agreed. I said the same thing yesterday from the comfort of my couch, 'here we go with three pass rushers again'. The thought even crossed my mind that Fewell had money on the Cowboys. Its Tony Fucking Romo, he will fuck up, he will lose the game for his team, its what he does... but only if he's pressured.

And as Aikman said in so many words yesterday, our blitz packages suck. They might as well have flashing lights on their helmets before the play and then it takes them forever to get there. Blockers have plenty of time to see them coming and QB has plenty of time to find the one on one match up to take advantage of. Example: that big 3rd down pass to Dez, that took them down to the 1, Romo knew he had one on one with Prince right from the snap and the blitz never got close to him. When that happens, you'll get burned every time.