SportsWrath

My Second Mock Draft

KiLLaKyLe

Ok guys, I took your comments on my last mock and I am now making a completely new mock

draft, no players from the last draft. Again, all comments are welcome!

all information from www.nfldraftcountdown.com and www.draftstudio.com

1. Antonio Cromartie

Cornerback

FSU

Height: 6'3

Weight: 210

40-Time: 4.37

Strengths:

Has outstanding size with long arms...A tremendous natural athlete...Exceptionally fast for

a guy of his dimensions...Has great hands and ball skills...Has a knack for coming away with

the interception...Has fluid hips and is a pure cover man...Physical and will support the

run...A threat to score every time he gets his hands on the ball...Is also a good return

man...Proved to be a game changer during his short career with the Noles and came through

with a number of impact plays...Has a ton of upside and hasn't even begun to reach his vast

potential.

Weaknesses:

Is coming off of a knee injury...Has only played in 25 total games and has very little

starting experience...Very raw and his footwork and technique need development...Needs to be

more consistent...Is not a great tackler...Aggressive and will take too many risks at

times...A project who has a high risk factor and his selection will be made mostly based on

promise rather than actual production.

Notes:

Tore the ACL in his left knee in July and missed the entire 2005 season...Was a member of

the FSU track team that won the ACC Championship in 2004...If his knee checks out okay in

exams and he works out like he is capable of there is no reason why this guys stock won't

soar leading up to the draft...A rare prospect who might have been a Top 5 overall pick in

2007 had he gone back to school.

2. Claude Wroten

Defensive Tackle

LSU

Height: 6'3

Weight: 290

40-Time: 5.09

Strengths:

Explosive one-gap penetrater...Good athlete with excellent quickness off the snap and a

burst...Shows a good motor...Moves well and closes on the ball fast...Has a knack for being

around the action...Does a nice job of splitting double teams...Strong and physical with a

nasty demeanor...Hard worker who wants to be great...Has a solid build despite his lack of

height...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Does not have the size you would prefer...Is not a finished product and is still raw and

developing as a player...Can do a better job against the run...Needs to increase his lower

body strength...Will have trouble against massive offensive lineman who can overwhelm

him...Struggles to shed blocks once opponents are locked on...Needs to stay more

disciplined...Must refine his technique.

Notes:

Former JUCO transfer who has never received the recognition he deserves...Top pass rushing

tackle who can wreak havoc in the middle and is still improving...Could be a better prospect

than Marcus Spears was a year ago.

3.Andrew Whitword

Offensive Tackle

LSU

Height: 6'7

Weight: 322

40-Time: 5.30

Strengths:

A four-year starter with loads of experience against top competition...Very durable...Has

good size and a big frame...Strong and physical player who overwhelms opponents...A mauler

in the running game due to his size and attitude...Has a nasty demeanor on the field and

plays to the whistle...Smart and technically sound...Team leader who is very coachable with

top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Is not a great natural athlete...Does not move real well and footwork is spotty at

best...Struggles to get to the second level of defenders and to hit moving targets...Needs

to play with better leverage and bend his knees more...Has trouble with speed rushers and is

not a great pass blocker...Not as good as his press would indicate...Upside might be limited

due to his physical shortcomings.

Notes:

Played left tackle in college but will be relegated to the right side at the pro

level...Solid but unspectacular player who will never be a star but could come in and start

for a long time...Is not flashy and what you see is what you get but if it's a big, physical

right tackle you are looking for then this is probably your guy.

4. A.J. Nicholson

Outside Linebacker

FSU

Height: 6'2

Weight: 235

40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:

Athletic with good quickness and a burst...Playmaker with great instincts who is always

around the action...Has a solid build and good strength...Mobile and has great range to make

plays sideline-to-sideline...Works his way through traffic and sheds blockers well...Does a

nice job in coverage...Reliable tackler with a good motor...Can rush the passer a little...A

leader who teammates look up to.

Weaknesses:

Does not have great size...Pure speed is only average...Ran into trouble off the field with

two arrests for charges related to alcohol...Tore his MCL in 2003...Not very stout at the

point of attack...Might need to be in the right scheme where he is protected by big

defensive tackles...Will struggle against mammoth blockers.

Notes:

Father Darrell was drafted by the New York Giants in 1982...Younger brother Derek is a top

young linebacker for the 'Noles...Final grade will likely be affected by character

concerns...May not have all the measurables you look for but on the field he simply gets the

job done...Ideal role would be as a weakside linebacker.

5. Greg Threat

Safety

Miami (FL)

Height: 6'0

Weight: 196

40-Time: 4.50

Strengths:

Very athletic...Has good speed and range...Tough and physical...Plays with a linebackers

mentality...Has good hands and ball skills...Stout versus the run...Versatile and can play

either safety position...Still has a lot of potential.

Weaknesses:

Has only average size...Lacks top instincts and can be fooled...Makes too many mental

mistakes...Better in run support than coverage...Did not play much as a senior and

essentially only started for one season...Might be an underachiever.

Notes:

Led the 'Canes in tackles in 2004...Lost his starting job as a senior...Interesting prospect

who looked to have a very bright future but saw his stock freefall in 2005...Certainly has

the physical tools and could wind up being a steal late.

6. Skyler Green

Wide Reciever

LSU

Height: 5'10

Weight: 185

40-Time: 4.49

Strengths:

Good athlete...Very fast and quick with great acceleration...Has a solid build...Runs good

routes...Extremely tough to tackle and has great vision...Elusive in the open field and the

fun is just starting once he gets the ball in his hands...Is very strong...Tough and plays

like a guy who is much bigger...Has good hands and adjusts to the ball well...Good

intangibles...Also a tremendous return man.

Weaknesses:

Does not have the height you look for...Durability is a concern and he has dealt with some

injuries throughout his career...Will struggle to beat the jam at the line...Is not much of

a blocker...Did not come close to playing up to the level most expected as a junior or

senior...Might have a limited upside in the NFL.

Notes:

Cousin of former LSU standouts Jarvis and Howard Green who now play in the NFL...Dynamic

playmaker who is better known for his ability on special teams than on offense...Will

probably have to make his mark as a backup or slot receiver and return man...Might never be

a star but can help a pro team in many ways.

7. Troy Bienemann

Tight End

Washington State

Height: 6'4

Weight: 258

40-Time: 4.80

Strengths:

Has excellent size and a big frame...Shows good quickness and athleticism...Top threat as a

pass catcher who excels at moving the chains...Can be a force in the red zone...Has good,

reliable hands...Does a nice job as a blocker...Smart player with top intangibles...May be

an even better prospect as a long snapper.

Weaknesses:

Is not very strong or physical...Has been productive but never put up the huge season you

thought he was capable of...More of a solid but unspectacular player than the dynamic option

teams are looking for these days...Struggled through assorted minor injuries for most of his

career and blew out his knee as a senior.

Notes:

Has the physical tools to make it at the next level...Could develop into a capable starter

and still has some upside and potential...At the very least he should be able to carve a

niche for himself as a backup and special teams player.

Well here is my second mock draft, tell me what you think! :TU:

Do you like Southern Football???

First pick solid choice

Like the Second pick

3rd dont know much about but im not for a rookie tackle as backup

4th good pick if he is there does have character issues got thronwn out of Bowl game (not thrown out but didnt dress)

5th not bad pick but if we go saftey should go earler in draft so we are not between a 5th round saftey and Butler to start

6th Love the pick a lot of speed very productive and can return good slot

7th well it is the 7th round but if we go for TE go for a good blocker almost another tackle not another reciving TE

Do you like Southern Football???

First pick solid choice

Like the Second pick

3rd dont know much about but im not for a rookie tackle as backup

4th good pick if he is there does have character issues got thronwn out of Bowl game (not thrown out but didnt dress)

5th not bad pick but if we go saftey should go earler in draft so we are not between a 5th round saftey and Butler to start

6th Love the pick a lot of speed very productive and can return good slot

7th well it is the 7th round but if we go for TE go for a good blocker almost another tackle not another reciving TE

greg threat could be a good backup to butler and wilson and the TE was a solid blocker and reciever

Wroten was arrested in January for marijuana possession. Although he is a very talented player, I have to think the Giants will stay away from him.

Also, I'd be very careful about waiting until the 4th round to add a LB ... especially with Barrett Green getting cut.

Doubt that Skyler Green lasts until the 6th.

I am sorta working on a Mock Draft i have the First 2 rounds done developing the next 4 but i have:

1. D'Qwell Jackson OLB/MLB Maryland

2. Jason Allen S Tennesse (Also played corner in college)

i am looking at Skyler Green later in the draft

Two Tennessee safeties...wouldn't that be cool?

It is worth noting the two DTs that the Giants have interviewed

Haloti Ngata and Gabe Watson

Both are big space eaters. This is a good indication of the style of DT we are looking at in the draft.

I think we are more likely to draft Babatunde Oshinowo than Claude Wroten in the 2nd round

or Montavious Stanley, Steve Fifita or Manaia Brown in later rounds

I think it's a good mock overall, though the only caviot is that noone really knows where players like Cromartie, Wroten and Nicholson will be drafted. I don't know how serious Nicholson's off the field problems were at FSU, but every time I watched FSU play, I thought he looked like a better player than Ernie Sims.

Wroten was also a monster at LSU, and I'm very curious to see where he'll be drafted. Unfortunetly, both Wroten and Nicholson are not the prototypical guys the Giants usually go after with there impending off the field issues.

I'm not a big fan of Skyler Green, and I'm not quite sure why people ae so high on him. He didn't score one receiving TD in his senior year at LSU, and his receiving average was quite low. Would he be that much of a special teams weapon in the NFL?

And I'm not entirely crazy about Andrew Whitworth. I think he's a good blocker down the field, but at the LOS, I'm not so confident in his ability. I'd rather take a shot at him on the second day if he's still around. I'd rather use our 3rd pick on an additional LB if possible.

Edited by Barens

Generally speaking, I think you went with too many offensive players. I do like that you added a Tackle prospect but I'd prefer to see a guy who might be groomed for the Left Side. Granted the scouts rarely forecast guys past the 1st or 2nd round as potential Left Tackles, but based on description, Whitworth's footwork will keep him on the right side.

I'm awfully nervous at the thought of Cromartie in the 1st. That injury factor scares me. I also think Cromartie could be a guy who falls into the 2nd. Who knows, maybe we get lucky.

I don't like the thought of a sub 300 pound defensive tackle who's specialty is the pass rush. I'd much rather go after a space eater like Broderick Bunkley who will be an immovable object in the running game. I'm confident enough in our outside pass rush that I'd much prefer our middle to be stout. That being said Wroten is definitely not my guy in the second round, although Bunkley won't be there at that point either.

I'm OK with a Skyler Green type on the second day but I agree he likely isn't there in the 6th.

Generally speaking, I think you went with too many offensive players. I do like that you added a Tackle prospect but I'd prefer to see a guy who might be groomed for the Left Side. Granted the scouts rarely forecast guys past the 1st or 2nd round as potential Left Tackles, but based on description, Whitworth's footwork will keep him on the right side.

I'm awfully nervous at the thought of Cromartie in the 1st. That injury factor scares me. I also think Cromartie could be a guy who falls into the 2nd. Who knows, maybe we get lucky.

I don't like the thought of a sub 300 pound defensive tackle who's specialty is the pass rush. I'd much rather go after a space eater like Broderick Bunkley who will be an immovable object in the running game. I'm confident enough in our outside pass rush that I'd much prefer our middle to be stout. That being said Wroten is definitely not my guy in the second round, although Bunkley won't be there at that point either.

I'm OK with a Skyler Green type on the second day but I agree he likely isn't there in the 6th.

bunkley is sub 300 pounds

Bunkley only recorded 25 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. Ngata, for as much as he's hyped, only had 9 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. He could have faced more double teams, but even so, there's no questioning Bunkley's effectiveness.