SportsWrath

Time to get overly excited about a player.

Sephiroth

I'll save my excitement for Deandre Baker

Baker has been mentioned as a sleeper for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors, recognition that he downplayed. But there's no question, from a competition standpoint, he's not willing to give up an inch - not to anyone, anywhere.

"First pass that came my way [in rookie camp] had to be a breakup or an interception – I wuasn’t going to accept anything less," Baker said, and he did just that, knocking the ball away from the intended receiver. "Every play, every snap, everything I do on the field, I’ve got to show everybody the reason why the Giants picked DeAndre Baker. It’s part of the reason why I go so hard, because every play I’ve got something to prove and you can’t take one play off. When you set out to perfect your craft, there's always something to get better at, and I want to earn the right to be considered one of the best."

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/5/16/18627265/ny-giants-rumors-news-5-16-roster-analysis-deandre-baker-more

Yep.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Lawrence pick and the Jones pick has grown on me more but honestly the only good thing to come out of the OBJ trade, is Baker.

This kid is going to replace Jenkins and from all reports was the biggest draft steal where the Giants grabbed him.

Can't wait for him and the combo of Love, Beal, Belantine, to be roaming around the secondary.

Love is suppose to be a hell of a player as well with potential to go to safety so that's a plus.

it kind of worries me that none of these new DBs have the long speed to deal with receivers that can take the top off a D.

They're going to need to be real good in the first three seconds of the play so there's time to manufacture a pass rush. I guess they don't need that much speed if the play is over before anybody can get 30 yards downfield. Baker is a perfect fit for that.

I think the rook starts by year end and Eli plays final game of career. Cap friendly deal is not Eli's shtick..agreed

I'm not sure where "extending Eli" is coming from. Hech the Giants decided to draft a QB this year instead of waiting for next year which has a better crop solely to move from Eli... Eli showed his age last year and has been in deline for a while now. The Giants are doing right by Eli by not cutting him and are letting him ride into the sunset. Expect the Jones era to begin something this season.

I don't think they let Barkley go to year 4 without an extension they'll give him his pay day next year when they have the cap space for him.

I thought first rounders usually sign 4 years with a 5th year option.. which, if this is the case with Saqoun, the Giants don't have to worry about that for another year.

Yep.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Lawrence pick and the Jones pick has grown on me more but honestly the only good thing to come out of the OBJ trade, is Baker.

This kid is going to replace Jenkins and from all reports was the biggest draft steal where the Giants grabbed him.

Can't wait for him and the combo of Love, Beal, Belantine, to be roaming around the secondary.

Love is suppose to be a hell of a player as well with potential to go to safety so that's a plus.

I think you're selling the safety we got from Cleveland short... reports say he was misused in Cleveland and maybe primed for a breakout year under Betcher's system.

it kind of worries me that none of these new DBs have the long speed to deal with receivers that can take the top off a D.

They're going to need to be real good in the first three seconds of the play so there's time to manufacture a pass rush. I guess they don't need that much speed if the play is over before anybody can get 30 yards downfield. Baker is a perfect fit for that.

That's what safeties are for... seldom are DBs as fast as wide receivers... I think you maybe suffering from Jerry Reese syndrome (falling in love with stats) :)

I think you're selling the safety we got from Cleveland short... reports say he was misused in Cleveland and maybe primed for a breakout year under Betcher's system.

Peppers has horribly underachieved for where he was drafted, a change of scenery could help but so far there's no reason to think he'll suddenly be better with the Giants.

I'm more excited for Baker honestly.

Not to mention Peppers only has two years on his contract, this team fails to make any sort of progress and he's leaving.

I thought first rounders usually sign 4 years with a 5th year option.. which, if this is the case with Saqoun, the Giants don't have to worry about that for another year.

If you honestly want to tell Barkley that he's the best back in the NFL and we are fine with paying him the bare minimum go right ahead.

When he walks for another team that has the money for him we can wonder why we didn't sign him to a better contract when we had 85 million in cap space.

That's what safeties are for... seldom are DBs as fast as wide receivers... I think you maybe suffering from Jerry Reese syndrome (falling in love with stats) :)

ha, no I'm much more in line with Gettleman's view of valuing production and film over measurables.

But Bill Walsh said something once, I'm paraphrasing him badly probably, but it was to the effect of if you don't take the measurables into account, you have a team that does everything right but can only watch while the other team runs freely to the end zone.

For what its worth, PFF rated Peppers significantly better than Collins last year.

And I agree, extend Saquon sooner than later. If he has three awesome years and is still healthy, extend him before he hits season 4, let alone the 5th year option.

Peppers has horribly underachieved for where he was drafted, a change of scenery could help but so far there's no reason to think he'll suddenly be better with the Giants.

I'm more excited for Baker honestly.

Not to mention Peppers only has two years on his contract, this team fails to make any sort of progress and he's leaving.

If you honestly want to tell Barkley that he's the best back in the NFL and we are fine with paying him the bare minimum go right ahead.

When he walks for another team that has the money for him we can wonder why we didn't sign him to a better contract when we had 85 million in cap space.

He's not getting paid chump change... the #2 pick in the draft now makes big bucks (relatively speaking) from the get go.

As far as Baker is concerned, that's an easy one... he seems like a great pick up and I noted earlier that suddenly our defensive backfield seems to have a bright future...

For what its worth, PFF rated Peppers significantly better than Collins last year.

And I agree, extend Saquon sooner than later. If he has three awesome years and is still healthy, extend him before he hits season 4, let alone the 5th year option.

Hey you two... I'm the money guy here so back off :rules:

He's not getting paid chump change... the #2 pick in the draft now makes big bucks (relatively speaking) from the get go.

As far as Baker is concerned, that's an easy one... he seems like a great pick up and I noted earlier that suddenly our defensive backfield seems to have a bright future...

He gets paid the league average for a RB.

If he was an average RB I would agree but he's the face of the franchise and probably going to be the best RB to ever suit up in blue, in some ways he already is.

You have to show him and the team this us the type of player you want, and just letting him ride on a rookie Co tract shows that your to cheap or sdon't care enough to reward players for their hard work when you can.

I don't think they let Barkley go to year 4 without an extension they'll give him his pay day next year when they have the cap space for him.

With the 5th year option and franchise tag possibilities, I think an extension is on the docket after year 4.

I think cap space is used to fill out an otherwise thin roster

Why?

To lock him in before he gets antsy at the end of his contract, and by leveraging the fact that they have one cost controlled season left, and franchise tag options, they can get a reasonably under market contract. He'll get his guaranteed money sooner, and the Giants could lock him in at a deal that will be quite reasonable.

This assumes he's the same guy he's been so far, and that he would trade a potential bigger contract in two years for guaranteed money up front.

With the 5th year option and franchise tag possibilities, I think an extension is on the docket after year 4.

I think cap space is used to fill out an otherwise thin roster

Just do what the Rams did with Gurley and dont do what the Steelers farted around with Bell

You get Barkley witg two or three years left on his rookie deal overlap Jones rookie deal with OBJ, OV, and Eli money coming off the cap. The dead money we're eating this year is crazy. Add that to Eli's contract freeing up a shit ton of money...

Yes...we want to lock Barkley up long term...but lets not look past the ability to surround Jones and Barkley with some key elements