SportsWrath

New Giants D.C.

Virginia Giant

When Tim Lewis was here, we ran a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. There would be four DL in 3 or 4 pt stance, but after the snap it was more like a 3-4.

It was horrid, lol.

Was he the one who couldn't remember what team we were playing?

Also the more I think about this, the more likely it is the Giants are moving to a 3-4.

I guess Bettcher has taken teams from a 4-3 to a 3-4 a number of times.

I think Vernon could play standing up.

Agree I think being a stand up rusher better suits him over being a base end

Base D looking at a 2-4-5

WILL-Vernon/Draft pick

MIKE- Goodson

Moneybacker-Draft pick

SAM-JPP/Moss

1t-Tomlinson

0t-Snacks

Slot-DRC

CBs-Apple/Jenkins

SS-Collins

FS-Need a honey badger type

Good article about Bettcher:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/james-bettcher-giants-defense-buzzing-article-1.3777001

What really grabbed my attention is towards the end:

The Cardinals pursued Jason Pierre-Paul in 2016 before he re-signed with the Giants, so Bettcher obviously believes JPP fits well in his system. The 3-4 defense may mean adjustments for players such as defensive end Olivier Vernon, who could end up in more of a standup linebacker/end role, but Bettcher has experience coaching veterans to make the switch — like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis as the Colts’ outside linebackers coach in 2012, before Arians stole him away to Arizona.

The Giants need upgrades at linebacker. They hope B.J. Goodson returns healthy. From Bettcher’s Cardinals defense, linebacker Karlos Dansby, end Frostee Rucker and corner Tramon Williams are free agents. And top pending free agent linebackers include Jacksonville’s Paul Posluszny, Detroit’s Tahir Whitehead, (born in Jersey City), and Philly’s Nigel Bradham.

Agree I think being a stand up rusher better suits him over being a base end

Base D looking at a 2-4-5

WILL-Vernon/Draft pick

MIKE- Goodson

Moneybacker-Draft pick

SAM-JPP/Moss

1t-Tomlinson

0t-Snacks

Slot-DRC

CBs-Apple/Jenkins

SS-Collins

FS-Need a honey badger type

Actually wouldn't Collins be the perfect Moneybacker?

I mean he's pretty much that right now for the Giants.

Then they could find a real combo of safetys who could play the pass, instead of Collins inability to cover.

Good article about Bettcher:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/james-bettcher-giants-defense-buzzing-article-1.3777001

What really grabbed my attention is towards the end:

Guess we will see if they switch over to a 3-4, not convinced of it yet and as far as free agency goes: Priority goes to fixing the offensive line than stocking the defense.

I think JPP would be a great fit as a 3-4 DE. From what I understand, they're more run-stuffers anyway, and at the end of the day that's really JPP's strength. We'll just have to wait for the games to stop meaning something so that he can make some plays from that spot. We'll probably need another big, beefy DE on the other side of the line, and I bet Snacks and Tomlinson rotate as the nose tackle (which is good to keep them both fresh).

Vernon IMHO would be a perfect fit as a strongside backer in the 3-4. I could see him being an absolute beast there if he stays healthy.

But most importantly, switching from a 4-3 really means we're not going to ignore the entire linebacking unit like we did for ten years under Reese, which has me VERY excited.

ARizona was rumored to be interested in jpp when his contract was up so they mightve agreed that he fit their scheme. I wonder if Daryl Washington has anything left because he was a monster for them before he got in trouble

I think JPP would be a great fit as a 3-4 DE. From what I understand, they're more run-stuffers anyway, and at the end of the day that's really JPP's strength. We'll just have to wait for the games to stop meaning something so that he can make some plays from that spot. We'll probably need another big, beefy DE on the other side of the line, and I bet Snacks and Tomlinson rotate as the nose tackle (which is good to keep them both fresh).

Vernon IMHO would be a perfect fit as a strongside backer in the 3-4. I could see him being an absolute beast there if he stays healthy.

But most importantly, switching from a 4-3 really means we're not going to ignore the entire linebacking unit like we did for ten years under Reese, which has me VERY excited.

I don't how JPP would fit in a 3-4 scheme if he is not a linebacker. Giants defensive ends are good run stuffers but the defensive ends on 3-4 defense are required to open lanes for linebackers to attack. Really doesn't make a difference what we run, linebacker is going to be addressed this offseason.

Maybe. He seems a little big and slow for a linebacker, but those tend to be bigger guys in a 3-4 too. He weighs almost 280 lbs right now so it's not like he'd be undersized there. I remember at points he went up to 290 and at others he was down to 265 so there's a bit of flexibility there as well.

Maybe. He seems a little big and slow for a linebacker, but those tend to be bigger guys in a 3-4 too. He weighs almost 280 lbs right now so it's not like he'd be undersized there. I remember at points he went up to 290 and at others he was down to 265 so there's a bit of flexibility there as well.

Yeah I don't see it as a size or speed problem, I question his strength though. Asking him to take on more than one blocker is going to be an issue with his durability. If we make the move to a 3-4, that is a lot of money wasted on 4-3 defensive ends.