SportsWrath

Eli Apple

NightFire

Was never more infuriated with a draft pick than I was two years ago with Apple. Reese should of been fired the day after that draft when they made it public knowledge they wanted Conklin or Floyd then panicked and drafted Apple

Yeah JR really get F'ed in the A on that one.

I mean when Tunsil was dropping in the draft a lot of lesser tackles were forced up draft boards so I don't fault JR for not having a plan with Conklin taken, since most people had him rated at the bottom of the 1st.

But Floyd, that fucking guy, I still can't believe it was so blatantly obvious the Giants coveted him, a video of JR blowing the guy might as well been released.

I still don't like the Apple pick, I dont care how much "potential" he has, we had much bigger needs at that point.

Apple has been one of the major disappointments of this season. I thought he had a decent rookie year and was primed to develop into a solid corner for years to come........and that still could happen. Maybe he gets a Cory Webster-like awakening....or maybe he's just a bust. I think it's 50:50 which way he goes, which makes me the most optimistic person on this board, I guess.

But boom, bust or in between, I can't kill drafting a CB. With all the multiple receiver sets these days, you need AT LEAST three solid cover guys and god forbid anyone gets hurt. I still have nightmares about TC's last year, with guys I barely knew who they were and have long since forgotten futilely chasing opposing receivers through the secondary. It's not the sexiest pick in the world and if they do their job well, you hardly notice them but a good corner is invaluable.

Apple has been one of the major disappointments of this season. I thought he had a decent rookie year and was primed to develop into a solid corner for years to come........and that still could happen. Maybe he gets a Cory Webster-like awakening....or maybe he's just a bust. I think it's 50:50 which way he goes, which makes me the most optimistic person on this board, I guess.

But boom, bust or in between, I can't kill drafting a CB. With all the multiple receiver sets these days, you need AT LEAST three solid cover guys and god forbid anyone gets hurt. I still have nightmares about TC's last year, with guys I barely knew who they were and have long since forgotten futilely chasing opposing receivers through the secondary. It's not the sexiest pick in the world and if they do their job well, you hardly notice them but a good corner is invaluable.

I remember watching a segment on Path to the Draft on NFL Network, basically saying that the hardest position to learn coming out of college is CB.

Not only are you one of one basically 90% of the time, but you are at a disadvantage since you have to react to what the WR across from you does, trying to predict his routes/blocking.

It calls for more film study and just having a truck knack for the position than what any other position on the field calls for, including QB.

Basically why you have more busts at the CB position than what you find at other positions.

Not saying Apple is a bust, but it's one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL coming from college.

Not to mention that the deck is completely stacked against a cornerback with the rules being what they are. They cant physically touch an opposing receiver without a penalty but a wide receiver RARELY gets called on a push off. Check out Julios pass from Sanu; full extension on a push off, no flag.

I will give him that it's a tough position to play but all the red flags in college are still an issue. He is grabby when a WR jukes him, can't turn his head when in a good position to make a play and clearly can't take criticism. Unfortunately it's not looking good and the D has seemed better since his benching.

Not to mention that the deck is completely stacked against a cornerback with the rules being what they are. They cant physically touch an opposing receiver without a penalty but a wide receiver RARELY gets called on a push off. Check out Julios pass from Sanu; full extension on a push off, no flag.

IF you stop judging him against WRs and compare him to other CBs, you'd have a better analysis... I'd hate to believe he's a bust and I wasn't too thrilled with the pick when it happened... a WR might have all of the advantages you mentioned but the CB has the advantage of not having to catch the ball... just create enough havoc for the WR not to be able to catch it....

Kept wondering why he's a constant healthy scratch. Seems the kid is having resilience issues. Coming into the draft there was a question about maturity and apparently it's true. Probably too much mom coddling.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/25/eli-apples-attitude-towards-criticism-led-to-near-walk-out/

I think that is an unfair assessment and that anonymous scout was ridiculous then and now. Eli Apple is have a rough second season, he'll bounce back just like a lot of players will.

Wasn't super thrilled about the pick either, but it was a position I didn't mind spending a 1st rounder on...and especially when the guys you did want went right before your pick...I guess they were trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

My biggest issue is his attitude. It's a tough season...losing doesn't excuse lack of effort, lack of preparation, or lack of knowing where the fuck you're supposed to be on the field on a given play.

I am absolutely sickened by this. I can't even formulate the words to describe it atm.

EDIT: so sickened in fact that I posted this in the wrong thread.

Im sickened by this too - the entire NFL community has no words.

Wait for Geno to throw his first shitty INT..........fucker missed 6 games because he didnt pay a backup player 400 dollars and got punched and broke his jaw. He is the one starting over Eli

Coaching is another problem here.

You need to know your players. If apple is a sensitive guy, you have to treat him differently than others who can take it.

Treating all players the same is a bunch of bullshit. Part of being a HC is being a psychologist as well. You have to know what works for each player to get the best out of them and treat them accordingly.

If Eli Apple needs a little coddling in order to be the best player he can be, you do it.

And his teammates are assholes too..they all play like shit every week. miss assignments, blow routes, miss blocks, miss tackles, don't try hard et cetera. Seems like apple is the easy guy to pick in since he's the youngest and most inexperienced of the secondary..of the whole defense for that matter.

This team is just bad..so bad it's completely fallen apart...Geno fucking Smith is our starting qb. Nuff said

Apple isn't the problem..it's everyone from top to bottom.. complete dysfunction

Apple is immature, even for a 22 year old. I remember all the scouts reports when we drafted him that he has no life skills - can't even cook a meal for himself, for instance. Then we heard that he almost bolted from the team after the "brutally honest" film session, when he was criticized. I have to think he's mentally sunk in the morass of this disastrous season and it's dragged his game into the gutter. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but at 22 years old, with a new coach and a new outlook, he is a bounce back candidate. I'm not writing him off yet.

Apple is immature, even for a 22 year old. I remember all the scouts reports when we drafted him that he has no life skills - can't even cook a meal for himself, for instance. Then we heard that he almost bolted from the team after the "brutally honest" film session, when he was criticized. I have to think he's mentally sunk in the morass of this disastrous season and it's dragged his game into the gutter. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but at 22 years old, with a new coach and a new outlook, he is a bounce back candidate. I'm not writing him off yet.

I agree with this.

I couldn't cook shit when I was 22 either, how is that a knock on a person? Totally bizarre line of criticism. I don't know any guys who could cook when they were fresh out of college, unless they were actually going to school to be a chef or work in hospitality.

You guys do realize he is was dealing with his mother going in for brain surgery that same week? Personal life is in turmoil, professional life in turmoil, plenty of opportunities to make mistakes.

Once again the one anonymous scout talking about cooking... Who the fuck gets drafted based on their cooking skills? How about their communication skills! Most NFL players have the communication skills you would expect from High School dropouts rather than College dropouts.

I can agree with your assessment here.. I think being 22 is basically a kid... Not writing him either...