SportsWrath

Free Safety Situation

osi724dasack

I don't see how Stoutmire can be a viable option

He was beaten out by both Brent Alexander and Shaun Williams

Even with Williams, and Alexander, the Giants are upgrading the safety position (Hence both Alexander and Williams will be elsewhere).

Our main problem at safety was our speed and our coverage skills

Ryan Clark, Corey Chavous and Lance Shulters are decently priced FA options. If EA wants to open up the cheque book a little, then Chris Hope is another option. It is worth noting that we will need the veteran experince in our secondary.

The age of the free agent we sign will impact on where we draft a safety (if at all).

Donte Whitner is a good draft option, he has the speed and coverage skills of a CB and the tackling ability of a SS.

James Butler does have potential, but I can't see that relying on him to be a solid starter is upgrading our secondary. Butler will be in the competition for safety in camp.

Edited by BigPete

Typically speaking you'd rather your strong safety have some bulk to him if he's going to be asked to provide run support. But it would be a mistake to say that a small guy can't man the position. There are plenty of undersizes safeties who can lay the lumber. Bob Sanders of Indy comes to mind here.

I think our fallbaclk plan may already be in place with the offseason signings of Brimmer and Shivers. If we don't bring in another guy through free agency hopefully one of these two can play well enough to win a spot and provide safety depth. They're polar opposites of each other - Shivers is more of a coverage guy, Brimmer is a hitter. Both were respected collegiate players.

I agree I'd rather see a proven veteran back there in a starting role but having either one of these guys for depth may not be all that different from James Butler.

Chavous would be a great addition not to mention he is a huge draft guy on par with Mayock and Kiper. He could serve a dual role and help EA. I am not joking either, his NFL network analysis has been great and its nice to see players are as into their own league as Chavous is. Not to mention he is a pretty damn good S.

I'd like to finally have an itimidator in the secondary with Tank Williams.

I'll be more comfortable with Tank and Gibril as our safeties and Emmons, Pierce, Torbor as our LBs over Gibril and Butler with Witherspoon, Pierce, Torbor.

Butler can be a good safety for years to come. He is one of those players who were rated sort of high but had his stock dropped for some reason. One thing about Butler is he has good tools in order to be a very good coverage safety. The problem is he needs to improve against the run and he needs to be a more aggressive tackler. I think the Giants should try to sign Ryan Clark. His stock shouldn't be high and he is a good young veteran who has experience as a slot nickel guy, as a free safety, and as a strong safety. He has good speed and his coverage has gotten better (Washington trusted him enough to have him cover other teams WR's at times, even the opposition's best WR). He is a pretty good tackler also.

Guest Nutty Sack
Butler can be a good safety for years to come. He is one of those players who were rated sort of high but had his stock dropped for some reason. One thing about Butler is he has good tools in order to be a very good coverage safety. The problem is he needs to improve against the run and he needs to be a more aggressive tackler. I think the Giants should try to sign Ryan Clark. His stock shouldn't be high and he is a good young veteran who has experience as a slot nickel guy, as a free safety, and as a strong safety. He has good speed and his coverage has gotten better (Washington trusted him enough to have him cover other teams WR's at times, even the opposition's best WR). He is a pretty good tackler also.

I agree. He should be given a good chance to play more in 2006. He was a solid player when given the chance last year.

Wow, it wold be intersting if Ryan Clark would come back here. Not only for the reason that he was a Giant before but this.

05/28/04 9:40AM

Giants Sign Another Safety; Waive Ryan Clark: The Giants added more depth and competition at safety yesterday when they signed 11-year veteran FS Brent Alexander, who waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers in March. According to The Star-Ledger, Alexander signed a 4-year contract, but no financial terms were disclosed.

"He's hoping (to start)," said Alexander's agent. "He's coming there to play. (But) he was told emphatically that he'll have to earn anything he gets."

According to Alexander's agent, Alexander chose the Giants over the Rams and 49ers. He said 15 or 16 teams also had interest in his client.

The Giants have completely revamped the depth situation at safety this off-season, claiming Jack Brewer off of waivers from the Vikings, signing Jason Doering (who was not tendered by the Colts), and now signing Alexander. They also drafted S Gibril Wilson in the 5th round of the 2004 NFL Draft in April.

To make room for Alexander, the Giants waived S Ryan Clark, who joined the Giants two years ago as a rookie free agent. In addition to Clark, the Giants released S Clarence LeBlanc earlier this month and have chosen not to re-sign unrestricted free agent S Johnnie Harris.

Because of these moves, we have updated the Free Agents Signed, 2004 Free Agent Scorecard, Roster, Depth Chart, and Players Cut sections of the website.