SportsWrath

My Mock Draft

KiLLaKyLe

1. Thomas Howard OLB UTEP 6'3 240 Projected 40 time: 4.47

Strengths:

Amazing athlete with rare speed for the position...Has fluid hips and does a tremendous job when dropping into coverage...Has a great burst and closes fast...Terrific in space and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Big hitter who will light people up...Changes direction well...Is an excellent pass rusher on the blitz...Very productive...Team leader and hard worker with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Gets by on his athleticism and lacks great instincts, which are essential for a linebacker...Can do a better job as a tackler...Struggles when taking on bigger blockers...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Doesn't react on the field as quickly as you'd like...Still developing and is not yet a finished product.

Notes:

Began his career with the Miners as a walk-on safety...Father was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1977 cousin was a member of the musical group En Vogue...A true workout warrior whose measurables are off the charts.

2. Jonathan Joesph 5'11 187 Projected 40 time: 4.35

Strengths:

Has excellent timed and recovery speed...Has pretty good size...Productive and led the team in interceptions in '05...Reliable tackler who will support the run...Has fluid hips and good feet...Looks very natural in coverage with the ability to play man-to-man...Still has a lot of upside and could really develop at the next level.

Weaknesses:

Does not have a lot of experience...Still raw and needs to work on refining his technique and mastering the nuances of the game...Somewhat of a risky pick in that you are largely basing his selection on potential...Durability might be a concern after missed almost the entire 2004 season with a broken foot.

Notes:

Played at Coffeyville (KS) Junior College after high school...Missed all but two games of his first season with the Gamecocks so 2005 was essentially his only year against major competition...A good player already who hasn't yet begun to reach his full potential...Was overshadowed by Ko Simpson but could see his stock soar once teams go back and look at the tape and see him in workouts.

3. Greg Blue S Georgia 6'2 214 Projected 40 time: 4.42

Strengths:

Good athlete...Has excellent size and a solid frame...Is very fast with good recovery speed and a burst...Lives for the big hit and will lay people out...Has excellent range in coverage...Hips are fluid...Has quick feet...Outstanding in run support...Versatile and could project to either free or strong safety...Is very strong and physical...An intimidator...Still improving and has some upside and potential.

Weaknesses:

Only intercepted two passes throughout his career with both coming as a senior...Focuses too much on making the big hit and fails to wrap up...Is too aggressive at times...Will take bad angles to the ball...Is not as good in coverage as he should be considering his measurables...Might be a bit of a workout warrior.

Notes:

In terms of computer numbers he has everything you look for...A bit of an oddity in that he has the physical tools of a centerfielder / coverage guy but plays more like an in-the-box safety...Continues the tradition of Sean Jones & Thomas Davis.

4. Kyle Williams DT LSU 6'2 295 Projected 40 time: 5.22

Strengths:

Relentless and has a motor that never stops...An excellent athlete with good quickness...Moves well and makes plays all over the field...Gets good penetration into the backfield...Smart and technically sound...Tough with a nasty demeanor on the field...Durable with a lot of experience...Team leader with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Lacks ideal size in terms of both height and bulk...Has short arms...Does not shed blocks well...Lacks elite speed...Struggles with and can get engulfed by massive offensive linemen...Pass rush repertoire is limited...Gets too hyped up...Might need to be in a one-gap scheme to maximize his ability...Has a limited upside.

Notes:

Has always been overshadowed by Marcus Spears and Claude Wroten but this guy is a heck of a player in his own right...Similar in many ways to Chris Hovan...May never be a star at the next level but could play for a long time...Does most of his damage not with physical tools but hard work and determination.

5. Jeremy Bloom WR/KR Colorado 5'9 175 Projected 40 time: 4.25

Pros

Fiery player with sure hands and good speed. Runs routes well, plays smart. Great punt return threat.

Cons

Did not play in 2005, and has been involved in a continous conflict regarding him not being eligible to play football. May become a skier instead, as he is on the Olympic ski team.

6. Cooper Wallace TE Auburn 6'4 263 Projectd 40 time: 4.80

Strengths:

Has a big solid frame...Works hard and gets the most out of his ability...Has good, reliable hands...Adjusts to poorly thrown passes well...Does a real good job as a blocker...Has a lot of experience and possesses good intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Lacks elite timed speed and a burst...Won't stretch the field and is not a deep threat...A bit hulking and is not very athletic...Is not a great route runner...Upside is limited and he may never be more than a backup at the next level.

Notes:

Solid but unspectacular player who does everything well but doesn't stand out in any one area...A meat and potatoes type of player who isn't flashy but has a solid all-around game and can play a role for some team.

7. D.J. Shockley QB Georgia 6'1 206 Projected 40 time: 4.65

Strengths:

Outstanding natural athlete...Has a great arm with a quick release...Can be a weapon running the ball...Still has a lot of upside and has not yet been able to really show what he can do...A coaches son who understands the game...Smart and makes good decisions on the field...Was very effective as a starter his senior year...Hard worker...A leader and field general who will sacrifice for his team.

Weaknesses:

Still very raw and inexperienced having only started 11 games at the college level...Does not have the height you look for...Needs to be more patient in the pocket and takes off running prematurely...Does not read defenses as well as you'd like...Durability is a concern as he has missed some time with injuries.

Notes:

Highly touted recruit who had to sit behind David Greene for almost his entire career before finally getting a shot to start in 2005...An interesting developmental player with potential who could really blossom once given an opportunity to shine.

Well thats my mock draft, comments are welcome :TU:

All info recieved from www.nfldraftcountdown.com

GOOD ONE...I agree with all your picks except for Howard :clap: nice work

here is my wishlist

Draft Wishlist

Round 1: Ernie Simms (OLB) -OR- Antonio Cromartie (CB)

Round 2: Maurice Stovall (WR) -OR- Jason Allen (FS)

Round 3: Roger McIntosh (OLB) -OR- Devin Hester (CB, WR)

Round 4: Andrew Whitworth (OT) -OR- Tim Jennings (CB)

Round 5: Babutunde Oshinowo (DT) -OR- Zach Strief (OT)

Round 6: Jonathan Orr (WR) -OR- DJ Shockley (QB)

Round 7: Brandon Johnson (OLB) -OR- Javon Nanton (DE)

Strengths:

Amazing athlete with rare speed for the position...Has fluid hips and does a tremendous job when dropping into coverage...Has a great burst and closes fast...Terrific in space and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Big hitter who will light people up...Changes direction well...Is an excellent pass rusher on the blitz...Very productive...Team leader and hard worker with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Gets by on his athleticism and lacks great instincts, which are essential for a linebacker...Can do a better job as a tackler...Struggles when taking on bigger blockers...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Doesn't react on the field as quickly as you'd like...Still developing and is not yet a finished product.

Notes:

Began his career with the Miners as a walk-on safety...Father was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1977 cousin was a member of the musical group En Vogue...A true workout warrior whose measurables are off the charts.

Strengths:

Has excellent timed and recovery speed...Has pretty good size...Productive and led the team in interceptions in '05...Reliable tackler who will support the run...Has fluid hips and good feet...Looks very natural in coverage with the ability to play man-to-man...Still has a lot of upside and could really develop at the next level.

Weaknesses:

Does not have a lot of experience...Still raw and needs to work on refining his technique and mastering the nuances of the game...Somewhat of a risky pick in that you are largely basing his selection on potential...Durability might be a concern after missed almost the entire 2004 season with a broken foot.

Notes:

Played at Coffeyville (KS) Junior College after high school...Missed all but two games of his first season with the Gamecocks so 2005 was essentially his only year against major competition...A good player already who hasn't yet begun to reach his full potential...Was overshadowed by Ko Simpson but could see his stock soar once teams go back and look at the tape and see him in workouts.

Strengths:

Good athlete...Has excellent size and a solid frame...Is very fast with good recovery speed and a burst...Lives for the big hit and will lay people out...Has excellent range in coverage...Hips are fluid...Has quick feet...Outstanding in run support...Versatile and could project to either free or strong safety...Is very strong and physical...An intimidator...Still improving and has some upside and potential.

Weaknesses:

Only intercepted two passes throughout his career with both coming as a senior...Focuses too much on making the big hit and fails to wrap up...Is too aggressive at times...Will take bad angles to the ball...Is not as good in coverage as he should be considering his measurables...Might be a bit of a workout warrior.

Notes:

In terms of computer numbers he has everything you look for...A bit of an oddity in that he has the physical tools of a centerfielder / coverage guy but plays more like an in-the-box safety...Continues the tradition of Sean Jones & Thomas Davis.

Strengths:

Relentless and has a motor that never stops...An excellent athlete with good quickness...Moves well and makes plays all over the field...Gets good penetration into the backfield...Smart and technically sound...Tough with a nasty demeanor on the field...Durable with a lot of experience...Team leader with top intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Lacks ideal size in terms of both height and bulk...Has short arms...Does not shed blocks well...Lacks elite speed...Struggles with and can get engulfed by massive offensive linemen...Pass rush repertoire is limited...Gets too hyped up...Might need to be in a one-gap scheme to maximize his ability...Has a limited upside.

Notes:

Has always been overshadowed by Marcus Spears and Claude Wroten but this guy is a heck of a player in his own right...Similar in many ways to Chris Hovan...May never be a star at the next level but could play for a long time...Does most of his damage not with physical tools but hard work and determination.

Pros

Fiery player with sure hands and good speed. Runs routes well, plays smart. Great punt return threat.

Cons

Did not play in 2005, and has been involved in a continous conflict regarding him not being eligible to play football. May become a skier instead, as he is on the Olympic ski team.

Strengths:

Has a big solid frame...Works hard and gets the most out of his ability...Has good, reliable hands...Adjusts to poorly thrown passes well...Does a real good job as a blocker...Has a lot of experience and possesses good intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Lacks elite timed speed and a burst...Won't stretch the field and is not a deep threat...A bit hulking and is not very athletic...Is not a great route runner...Upside is limited and he may never be more than a backup at the next level.

Notes:

Solid but unspectacular player who does everything well but doesn't stand out in any one area...A meat and potatoes type of player who isn't flashy but has a solid all-around game and can play a role for some team.

Strengths:

Outstanding natural athlete...Has a great arm with a quick release...Can be a weapon running the ball...Still has a lot of upside and has not yet been able to really show what he can do...A coaches son who understands the game...Smart and makes good decisions on the field...Was very effective as a starter his senior year...Hard worker...A leader and field general who will sacrifice for his team.

Weaknesses:

Still very raw and inexperienced having only started 11 games at the college level...Does not have the height you look for...Needs to be more patient in the pocket and takes off running prematurely...Does not read defenses as well as you'd like...Durability is a concern as he has missed some time with injuries.

Notes:

Highly touted recruit who had to sit behind David Greene for almost his entire career before finally getting a shot to start in 2005...An interesting developmental player with potential who could really blossom once given an opportunity to shine.

Some picks I really like, and others I'm not so crazy about. The only glimpse I've seen of Thomas Haward was during the Senior Bowl, and I just don't know if I'm comfortable spending our first round pick on him. If we pick a LB early on, I'd think the Giants would want someone who's not so rough around the edges.

Greg Blue, I just get the feeling he might not even go on the first day, or possibly not even at all, a la James Butler. I just don't see a lot of instinct in his overall game, and there will be plenty of safeties to go before him.

I like Cooper Wallace and Kyle Williams, they would make solid late round picks IMO.

Jonathon Joseph, I haven't ever seen him play.

I dont like it either. I definitely think Howard is too raw for the 25th even if he runs well at the combine. Joseph is going to run his way into the first or at least very close to it much like Fabain Washington last year. If Greg Blue runs the 40 in a 4.42 he will go in the third but he wont, he'll be in the 4.5 range. I dont like Kyle Williams at all, he didnt impress me the few times I watched LSU this season and he didnt impress me at all during the senior bowl. The only thing he showed me was his ability to jump off-sides and thats not exactly a positive.

I think you are fixated to much on timed speed and are reaching for developmental prospects

at OLB, I much prefer D'Qwell Jackson to Thomas Howard

in the 2nd round there will be much better value players at alot of positions. For example, Kai Parham, Babatunde Oshinowo would be much better value

I prefer Will Blackmon at CB, but he will be available later. He also adds a quality kick and punt returner

we need a safety that can cover, Greg Blue, which can't

for a later round DT, I prefer Montavious Stanley or Mania Brown

thats my 2c

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Pros

Cons

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

FYI, If you are going to use Scott Wright's (from www.nfldraftcountdown.com) profiles verbatim, you might want to at least quote your source

Edited by BigPete

I think you are fixated to much on timed speed and are reaching for developmental prospects

at OLB, I much prefer D'Qwell Jackson to Thomas Howard

Agree 100% ... people often confuse timed speed and field speed. Jackson is excellent in the latter, just like our own Antonio Pierce, who only ran about a 4.8 coming out...

Also, Kyle, in the future don't copy and paste material from websites (in this case, NFL Draft Countdown). Either use links, or credit the website. We can in trouble for that type of stuff...

Agree 100% ... people often confuse timed speed and field speed. Jackson is excellent in the latter, just like our own Antonio Pierce, who only ran about a 4.8 coming out...

A good example is David Pollack, he had average timed speed for a DE at 4.75, but enough quickness for the Bengals to draft him in the mid first round as an OLB

btw I think D'Qwell Jackson is very similar to Jonathon Vilma, he is very under rated and will slip due to the sheer depth at LB in this draft. He is a quality linebacker

A good example is David Pollack, he had average timed speed for a DE at 4.75, but enough quickness for the Bengals to draft him in the mid first round as an OLB

btw I think D'Qwell Jackson is very similar to Jonathon Vilma, he is very under rated and will slip due to the sheer depth at LB in this draft. He is a quality linebacker

Pollack had an insanely good 3-cone drill. For LBs, I would say the 3-cone drill and short shuttles (both of which measure change of direction skills) are more important than 40 times.

I could see the comparison to Vilma, especially when you factor in size and intangibles. Although Vilma did not slip ... he went 12th overall.

Pollack had an insanely good 3-cone drill. For LBs, I would say the 3-cone drill and short shuttles (both of which measure change of direction skills) are more important than 40 times.

I could see the comparison to Vilma, especially when you factor in size and intangibles. Although Vilma did not slip ... he went 12th overall.

Many people think Jackson was the best player on the Maryland defense in 2004 (with Shawne Merriman #2)

Jon Vilma was lucky, he only really had DJ Williams, Karlos Dansby and Teddy Lehman as possible 1st round LBs. Even then many people had Vilma ranked in the late 1st/early 2nd area.

D'Qwell Jackson has AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson (as a 3-4 OLB), Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims and Abdul Hodge as possible 1st round picks. Plus he has a very good and deep groups at RB, OT, CB and S

Many people think Jackson was the best player on the Maryland defense in 2004 (with Shawne Merriman #2)

Jon Vilma was lucky, he only really had DJ Williams, Karlos Dansby and Teddy Lehman as possible 1st round LBs. Even then many people had Vilma ranked in the late 1st/early 2nd area.

D'Qwell Jackson has AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson (as a 3-4 OLB), Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims and Abdul Hodge as possible 1st round picks. Plus he has a very good and deep groups at RB, OT, CB and S

I think he'll go late 1st/early 2nd when all is said and done.

He did not have a great Senior Bowl. But the guy can really play ... he and Jackson are very similar prospects IMO

thats true, but personally, I think Ryans is a little more hyped than Jackson

It may just be me, but I would much prefer to see D'Qwell Jackson in a giants uniform next year

Alright, Jackson may end up being a solid pick, but your getting a little out of hand here. The best player on the Maryland defense in 2004?

For the sake of argument, if Jackson were in the 2004 draft, I think it's fair to say he wouldn't get drafted before Vilma, Williams, and Dansby. Kind of a silly comparison. As far as this year, I like Jackson, but I also think Carpenter and Hodge are solid players who would contribute sooner rather than later. I'm also a fan of Keith Ellison(Oregon State) and Omar Gaither(Tennessee) as late first day picks or early second day picks.

Alright, Jackson may end up being a solid pick, but your getting a little out of hand here. The best player on the Maryland defense in 2004?

Not really. If anyone watched Maryland (as I did) when those two were together, alot of the times Jackson out shinned Merriman. Thats not taking anything away from Merriman, but thats far from out of hand. Jackson is a very good player and I believe a bit underrated at this point.

As Money said, Jackson and Ryans are very similar players and they are both very much like Antonio Pierce.