SportsWrath

Yankee Stadium is a Cathedral

mickeef2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That's what we've been hearing for the last month or so, anyway, or words to that effect. So why are they tearing it down if it's so hallowed? Money, of course. Do they need the money? I guess that's debateable. Although they have higher revenues, by far, than any other team in baseball, the object of running a business is to maximize profits. I'm sick and tired, though, of hearing about what a special place this is while they're getting ready to demolish it and sell every last chip of concrete to the highest bidder.

Not trying to stir the pot here, I'm just interested in hearing the take on this from Yankee fans. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think the Yankees will lose some of their "mojo" in a new stadium, one that seems to be much less intimate and intimidating? Are you inconvenienced getting to or watching a game in the current stadium? I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the Sox would never replace Fenway, either. They were ready to do it a few years ago, but couldn't make it happen. They then changed course and decided the more fiscally responsible thing to do was improve the current stadium. I'm sure the subject will again come up in the future.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions, Yankee fans.

I’m excited about the new park.

From what I have read and seen it appears to bring back some of the older, pre-renovation feel to the stadium…the roof top façade…hell the roof top itself…, in particular. I’d love for them to go back to some of the prior dimensions and put the monuments back out on central field..but that ain’t about to happen.

I remember the old park pre 76’ and walking up the tunnel to the first base side’s lower level…I was a kid about 12 and it was fucking AWESOME. So for pretty selfish reasons I like the look of the new stadium.

The 76’ version of the stadium…was great…in a 1970s sort of way……but not the same.

Even though my only memories of the Yankees being winners was in the post 76’ stadium…. I tend to look back on pre-76’s stadium with more fondness then the pre-76’ team…all the tradition of that “holy ground” can’t erase Ron Bloomberg catching tosses from Horace Clark with his face…..his shoulder…his dick…..again…and again…and again.

The most important thing…and the part I was most worried about that they didn’t fuck up…is the angle of the stadium in relation to the sun…fortunately it’ll match the old stadium.

This means you’ll still get the shadows out of right field at the same time of day and at the same angles…. and they mirror up nicely against memories of the older stadium…to the point that people shouldn’t be able to tell that much of a difference from TV…which is where we’ll see the vast majority of the games anyway so that is all that should really matter.

As to it being “hallowed ground”….Gettysburg is Hallowed Ground….Old Yankee Stadium has had its time…it can be Hallowed Ground Strip Mall or parking lot for all I care.

Fuck…ain’t like nobody took pictures of the old one.

C. Wagon.

That's what we've been hearing for the last month or so, anyway, or words to that effect. So why are they tearing it down if it's so hallowed? Money, of course. Do they need the money? I guess that's debateable. Although they have higher revenues, by far, than any other team in baseball, the object of running a business is to maximize profits. I'm sick and tired, though, of hearing about what a special place this is while they're getting ready to demolish it and sell every last chip of concrete to the highest bidder.

Not trying to stir the pot here, I'm just interested in hearing the take on this from Yankee fans. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think the Yankees will lose some of their "mojo" in a new stadium, one that seems to be much less intimate and intimidating? Are you inconvenienced getting to or watching a game in the current stadium? I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the Sox would never replace Fenway, either. They were ready to do it a few years ago, but couldn't make it happen. They then changed course and decided the more fiscally responsible thing to do was improve the current stadium. I'm sure the subject will again come up in the future.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions, Yankee fans.

I'm not sure if Yankee Stadium is a Cathedral, but I know my prayers were answered last night at Tropicana Field :)

Glad we could give you guys something to do for the last three weeks.

Actually, I haven't really tuned into baseball since the NFL season started, but watching the end of Game 7 was very entertaining, thanks.

price300wsrays.jpg

A real Cinderella story.

That would've been early September, so I guess you were just following the lead of the majority of Yankee fans. Can't say I blame you.

Since I live out in Chicago, I can't watch the Yankees unless they are on ESPN or FOX.

This season I pretty much knew that the Rays were going to the World Series, so I figured I'd spend my time getting ready for some football.

But like I said, I managed to watch some of last night's game....that was alot of fun.

Tampa%20Bay%20Devil%20Rays%20Baseball%20Guy.jpg

This season I pretty much knew that the Rays were going to the World Series, so I figured I'd spend my time getting ready for some football.

Yeah, I guess when your organization is in disarray, you're reduced to rooting for other teams. Luckily for the Sox, we always have hope that our team can win it.

Who knew you were clairvoyant, Joe?

Yeah, I guess when your organization is in disarray, you're reduced to rooting for other teams. Luckily for the Sox, we always have hope that our team can win it.

Who knew you were clairvoyant, Joe?

Yes, my foresight is something else, isn't it?

It's wait until next year for both of us. I'll be root-root-rooting for those Devil Rays in the meantime.

Yes, my foresight is something else, isn't it?

It's wait until next year for both of us. I'll be root-root-rooting for those Devil Rays in the meantime.

Screw that Joe.

The Rays win...the Chamber of Commerce might put it on the back panel of their "Welcome to the Home of the Super Bowl" brochure.

Now if the Phillies win....one of the oldest and most history ladened cities of North America will in all likelihood be burned to the ground by its own inhabitants.

Mayhem, murder....arson....animal rape...police riot......race war.....fucking everything that makes Philly great.....or.... the back panel of Super Bowl 42 brochure.

Its a no brainer for me.

C. Wagon.

Screw that Joe.

The Rays win...the Chamber of Commerce might put it on the back panel of their "Welcome to the Home of the Super Bowl" brochure.

Now if the Phillies win....one of the oldest and most history ladened cities of North America will in all likelihood be burned to the ground by its own inhabitants.

Mayhem, murder....arson....animal rape...police riot......race war.....fucking everything that makes Philly great.....or.... the back panel of Super Bowl 42 brochure.

Its a no brainer for me.

C. Wagon.

Leave it to you to put things in the proper perspective, Chuck.