SportsWrath

Giants trade for Leonard Williams

Herc

Benefit of doubt - he has beem a top notch run-stopper/tackler. He is 1st round talent and is under 25. Dude doesnt have an injury history and probably is not a good fit there....his talents might be better utilized here (wishful obviously).

If thats a shot - ill take a 2020 3rd and a 2021 5th for that anyday

If they like him that much, they could have signed him this off-season. Why give up draft picks for 8 games when your season is going nowhere???

I cant wait to see him next to Dexter Lawrence, personally.

true.

and the move may reflect something I've been kind of in denial about.... BJ Hill hasn't lived up to his rookie season.

He's an unrestricted free agent so the Giants get no dibs....and just gave up two draft picks to see him for 8 games.

do the various forms of franchise tags no longer exist?

And joins a cast that is already sub-par at rushing the passer.

He may actually the best of what we have now.... sounds like an upgrade but we'll see how that translates on the field. Our lack of pass rush is atrocious.

true.

and the move may reflect something I've been kind of in denial about.... BJ Hill hasn't lived up to his rookie season.

Actually after the new CBA agreement they might not.

One of the big issues the players union is pushing (besides a bigger cut of the pie) is teams no longer being able to use franchise tags on rookies after their option year, or even veteran players who've been with the team X amount of seasons.

I never liked the tag and if the owners want a 17/18 game season they are going to have to give up ground somewhere.

true.

Franchise is of course an option but is he a pro bowler or top 5 DL? Do we want to pay him $20mm plus on a 1 year deal? I don't think so

He's an unrestricted free agent so the Giants get no dibs....and just gave up two draft picks to see him for 8 games.

Right but they have the franchise tag offer and I mean, theoretically, hes in the building. They could be working on a deal right now with him for all you and I know.

So if it comes down to a competition to get him, I think theyd want an extra what like 16 weeks to try to get a deal in place before he actually hits the market.

So it's really a big boom or bust trade with Williams.

The Giants are going to have to pay for him, reports of atleast 10+ million a year, since Williams holds all the cards.

However.

If the Giants can somehow unlock the potential he had coming out of college we may very well have gotten a steal for nothing more than a 4th/5th round pick (since we are getting a third back for losing Collins).

So it's really a big boom or bust trade with Williams.

The Giants are going to have to pay for him, reports of atleast 10+ million a year, since Williams holds all the cards.

However.

If the Giants can somehow unlock the potential he had coming out of college we may very well have gotten a steal for nothing more than a 4th/5th round pick (since we are getting a third back for losing Collins).

Actually, thats entirely dependent on the free agent signings this offseason. And the Giants are expected to be active. They arent guaranteed any compensatory picks.

Right but they have the franchise tag offer and I mean, theoretically, hes in the building. They could be working on a deal right now with him for all you and I know.

So if it comes down to a competition to get him, I think theyd want an extra what like 16 weeks to try to get a deal in place before he actually hits the market.

Whether they make the deal now or in the offseason, it's still a dumb move to give up draft picks for him. Just wait to the offseason to sign him. There's no real advantage in terms of being able to sign him now. and they're not going to franchise him for a $20m+ cap charge.

Actually, thats entirely dependent on the free agent signings this offseason. And the Giants are expected to be active. They arent guaranteed any compensatory picks.

Actually the way comp picks work it's the off season the player left, not the following one.

So we could sign how many players we want this off season, we are guaranteed at least a third for Collins.

For example we lost Collins and Brown but we signed Tate and Golden, however their contracts are easily over shadowed by the contract that Collins signed.

And Edwards going to the Saints should get a comp pick in the later round as well.

With the cap capitol the Giants have this offseason we probably wont have any comp picks in the 2021 draft.

Whether they make the deal now or in the offseason, it's still a dumb move to give up draft picks for him. Just wait to the offseason to sign him. There's no real advantage in terms of being able to sign him now. and they're not going to franchise him for a $20m+ cap charge.

Wouldn't it make sense to see how Leonard Williams fits or does not fit before signing him to a long term deal in the offseason? Think of this as a test drive. Would the Giants be better off over paying him in the offseason for years and then realizing it doesn't work? Clearly the Giants think highly of what Leonard Williams could do with the guys we already have on the defensive line.

Leonard Williams is a good player on the Jets which is more than most players can overcome. Dalvin Tomlinson has been playing his best so far this year and arguably the best defensive lineman on the team. Dexter Lawrence has simply gotten better every game. With these three, even our linebackers will be able to make plays.

Its a couple of draft picks and we have blown plenty of those on players who never develop. Leonard Williams is a known factor.

Wouldn't it make sense to see how Leonard Williams fits or does not fit before signing him to a long term deal in the offseason? Think of this as a test drive. Would the Giants be better off over paying him in the offseason for years and then realizing it doesn't work? Clearly the Giants think highly of what Leonard Williams could do with the guys we already have on the defensive line.

Leonard Williams is a good player on the Jets which is more than most players can overcome. Dalvin Tomlinson has been playing his best so far this year and arguably the best defensive lineman on the team. Dexter Lawrence has simply gotten better every game. With these three, even our linebackers will be able to make plays.

Its a couple of draft picks and we have blown plenty of those on players who never develop. Leonard Williams is a known factor.

So we're giving up two draft picks to audition a player who's been in the league for 4 plus years for 8 games?