SportsWrath

Mets (20-18) vs. Nationals (17-24)

RandolphScott

If I told you a year ago that Not only would Jose Reyes be the 3rd best SS in his OWN DIVISION, but maybe the 5th best in his own league would you have believed me?

Geez, I wonder if we have seen the best of Jose??

I missed part of the game, did Maine bean someone? If so, was it Dukes? I hope it was!

No it was the first batter.... Lopez I guess. Hit him right in the thigh, sent the message.

BTW Church is 10x's the player then Moolidge

If I told you a year ago that Not only would Jose Reyes be the 3rd best SS in his OWN DIVISION, but maybe the 5th best in his own league would you have believed me?

Remember when he got 81 RBIs out of the leadoff spot in 06? He mustve really been a machine with RISP.

Seriously, whats happened to him?

It's not as if being the 3rd best SS in this division is a disgrace but hes not stringing together good ABs at all

Reyes in another year may be the 4th best SS in his own division because Yunel Escobar is a phenomenal hitter AND plays great defense. I think Escobar might be the best of the bunch eventually. But that is ok as long as Jose plays his game. He will still be one of the top SS's in MLB, it's just coincidence we have so many good ones in this division.

When are we going to start talking about Schneider? He has been great so far. Just hit a big homerun in this game. Although Schneider's career numbers are much lower than what his performance has been so far, it is nice to see what he is giving us right now. I think Beltran really helped him in his approach in opening up his stance a little. Perhaps Schneider can keep this up and give us a surprisingly good year with the bat, that would just put all kinds of gravy on that Milledge trade.

You know what I hate?

When John Maine plunked Felipe Lopez with the first pitch of the game last night (in response to the Nationals’ bush-league cheering of the night before), a message was sent: don’t mess with the Mets.

As Regis Courtemanche stated earlier today, the timing was right and the action appropriate. Further, Maine’s pitch that “slipped” established solidarity — an “I got your back” mentality that all championship teams exhibit.

For too long, fans and pundits have criticized the Mets for being lifeless, unmotivated, and uncaring. Manager Willie Randolph has been targeted as responsible for the team’s supposed apathy. However, a pitcher does not knock down a batter in defense of a demoted teammate unless there is team unity and a bit of “fire in the belly”.

If the Mets go on a roll, we may look back at this incident as the spark, and a turning point in the season.

Shit like that. That was the third place I read where Maine's hitting of Lopez was going to be our turning point. How the fuck is there gonna be a turning point when the team just isn't that good?

Man....I'm a pretty big Willie defender, but that was some terrible managing. How do you keep him in long enough to give up 4 runs in a tie game?! The answer to that question better be that Smith wasn't ready yet, but if that's the case, haven't the Mets ever heard of any stall tactics. Catcher out to the mound, Delgado to the mound, Heilman hang out at the back of the mound?!?! WTF.

Look, the Mets got 6 very good innings from Vargas tonight and Willie had a short leash on him in the 7th. Alou hurt the ballclub by getting himself ejected. He should have been up to bat in a critical situation in the 8th and he wasn't.

We have a bullpen that has blown a lot of games for us this year and that has been the achilles heal. If our bullpen had been solid so far, we probably have the best record in the NL. And we primarily have two guys that have spoiled that for us, Heilman and Sosa. Sosa is gone, now they need to do something with Heilman or he needs to get his shit together. At this point I also have no faith that he's going to get it together again. The Mets need to do something. It's been rumored that Fuentes from Colorado may be available at some point, and he's a guy they may need to consider. Otherwise, they need to look in-house and only bring Heilman in blow-out games and make him the long reliever or something. I doubt they will be able to move him.

If the Mets can do that, or in the unlikely event Heilman DOES get his shit together, the Mets can win the division.

*EDIT - And if Willie continues to mismanage this bullpen... HE'S the one who will be on a short leash.

Game Preview

Moises Alou and Luis Castillo have been unhealthy so far this season. Jose Reyes and Carlos Delgado have been unproductive. So four Mets, playing four very different positions, have done little to help their team's offensive woes.

Then there's Fernando Tatis, who may be able to provide a patch for them all.

On Tuesday night, in his first Major League at-bat since 2006, Tatis ripped a pinch-hit single and eventually scored, leaving with what he called "a great feeling." He'd certainly relish the opportunity for a few more feelings like that, and he may just find the chance. Because of his versatility -- Tatis can play every infield position, along with left field -- Tatis could see plenty of playing time during his initial week with the Mets.

He nearly made the club out of Spring Training, ultimately losing out on a roster spot to Brady Clark during the final day of camp. His next stop was Triple-A New Orleans, where he hit 12 home runs in 37 games, followed by this most recent stop in Queens.

"It kind of surprised me the kind of year I had down there -- all those home runs, so fast, so quick," Tatis said of his Minor League stint. "It was very surprising."

There, he learned to play left field on the fly, and here, he may just put those skills to use. Given Alou's need to take extra days -- and extra innings -- of rest, and given the possibility that second baseman Luis Castillo might be headed to the disabled list, Tatis could quickly see his role grow into one of significance. Combine that with the struggles of Reyes at shortstop and those of Delgado at first base, and Tatis might just find playing time at every corner of the diamond.

And that's just the key. His versatility has given the Mets a dimension that -- at least so far -- they've lacked.

"To tell you the truth, you're learning every day," Tatis said. "You think you know everything, but every day you see something weird in this game."

The Mets could use some offense -- from Tatis or anyone else -- in Thursday afternoon's series finale against the Nationals. After losing two of three games to the National League East's last-place team, the Mets will now enter Thursday hoping simply for a series split.

They'll turn to Mike Pelfrey to lead them on the mound, while the Nationals will counter with right-hander Jason Bergmann. Last time Pelfrey faced the Nationals, he blanked them over seven innings in a 6-0 victory at Shea.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-3, 4.86 ERA)

Although he lost his third straight start Saturday against the Reds, Pelfrey pitched more aggressively and impressively than he had since winning his first two starts. He all but abandoned his two-seam fastball, the one teammates call his "bowling ball," in favor of a rising fastball that produced more strikes, more swings and misses and more fly-ball outs. The best start of Pelfrey's career came earlier this year against the Nationals.

WSH: RHP Jason Bergmann (0-1, 11.68 ERA)

After Tuesday's game, Nationals manager Manny Acta announced that Bergmann would make the start against the Mets on Thursday. It will be Bergmann's second stint with the club this season. He made the Opening Day roster, but was soon shipped to Columbus on April 12. After posting the team's best ERA in Spring Training, Bergmann had a tough time getting people out once the season began, giving up 16 runs over 12 1/3 innings.

Tidbits

Scott Schoeneweis went to the emergency room early Wednesday morning with what doctors diagnosed as an inflamed appendix. They released him seven hours later on a regimen of antibiotics, and though he was still feeling flu-like symptoms at game time, he said he could have pitched. "I don't feel good, but I feel better than I did this morning," Schoeneweis said after the game. ... Manager Willie Randolph dismissed talk on Wednesday that Aaron Heilman would become the team's new long reliever, saying instead that he would mix and match his middle relievers in place of the departed Jorge Sosa. "We don't really have a long guy," Randolph said. ... Nationals outfielder Austin Kearns holds a .357 average in 14 career at-bats against Pelfrey.

Linkage