SportsWrath

George Brett

Chuck Wagon

Every morning during football season, we'd walk in there while waiting for the school bus and the Giants would be eating breakfast. Bill Swain, Bobby Crespino, Katcavage, Homer Jones, Robustelli.

Homer Jones once dropped a perfect spiral I threw to him. OF course he had his dry cleaning in one hand.

:WS:

Every morning during football season, we'd walk in there while waiting for the school bus and the Giants would be eating breakfast. Bill Swain, Bobby Crespino, Katcavage, Homer Jones, Robustelli.

Homer Jones once dropped a perfect spiral I threw to him. OF course he had his dry cleaning in one hand.

:WS:

i peaked too early, MJ. cool.gif

After ball games, he'd throw a ball around with the neighborhood kids and would buy a round for the entire bar. Billy spent the last few years of his life living in Binghamton and no matter what bar he hung out at, he'd draw a crowd and was extremely entertaining and would sign anything you put in front of him. I have one of his signed balls because of it....

The left one or the right?

Oh yeah....I thought he was going to the big stud to carry the Yanks for a few years and he vanished just as quickly as he had gotten hot. Talk about vanishing.....one day, Chuck Knoblauch rolled out of bed and forgot how to throw a ball. Geesh, I watched him actually run the ball over and hand it to the first baseman because he was afraid to throw it. Anyone with seats along the first base line had to really be on their toes because Knobby would likely hit you in the face with an errant throw. They called it the Steve Sax syndrome. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Its weird...but there are some underlying issues with both Sax and Knobby...they both forgot how to throw after they started juicing.....something similar happened to Brett Boone. All about the same builtd..all second basemen....all got real big....real fast. ..all "forgot how to throw".

I remember Maas had a huge brace on his leg...maybe that is what did him in. Shit they were going to move Donny B-ball to the outfield to make room for him.....

Dude had the perfect swing for the Stadium too.

C. Wagon

There was a luncheonette called Val's on my street which served as our after school baby sitter.

MOM: I'll be out shopping, when you get off the bus go to Val's and eat something.

Val's sort of sounds like my Grandfather's drug store...he had a lunch counter and old school soda jerk...a lot of the Yankees would stop in pre-game for a sandwich. ..

I know they sucked in the 60 and 70's...but I loved it when they played in Yankee Stadium. .always struck me as "real football"...not the one size fits all, same old same old cookie cutters they play in now.....for the life of me, and I've looked high and low...I've always wanted a aerial photo of the stadium when it was configured for football.

Man, I am truly envious Blu.....what a great time to live in the Bronx.

C. Wagon

Oh yeah....I thought he was going to the big stud to carry the Yanks for a few years and he vanished just as quickly as he had gotten hot. Talk about vanishing.....one day, Chuck Knoblauch rolled out of bed and forgot how to throw a ball. Geesh, I watched him actually run the ball over and hand it to the first baseman because he was afraid to throw it. Anyone with seats along the first base line had to really be on their toes because Knobby would likely hit you in the face with an errant throw. They called it the Steve Sax syndrome.

Never seen anything like it in my life.

Horace Clark? He started it. I wonder if they all used the same locker.

Horace Clark? He started it. I wonder if they all used the same locker.

I'm not sure Clark could ever throw to 1st Dit...

I remember an in filed of Salizar Sanchez at 3B, G. Micheals at SS....Horace at 2B and Ron Blomberg at 1B....other then Micheals.....that has to be one of the worst fielding in fields ever put on a diamond. Salizar put a ball in every box seat in section 1 c on the first base side one game.

Mel Stottelmeir (sp) could have sued the Yankees for putting that behind him.

C. Wagon.

I don't know. It sure seemed sudden to me, just like with Sax and Knobby. I remember Clark as one of our better players of the era, and he was what, a .260 hitter? But he was a rally starter who could steal a few bases.

I agree about Stots though. Would have been HOF on another team.

Its weird...but there are some underlying issues with both Sax and Knobby...they both forgot how to throw after they started juicing.....something similar happened to Brett Boone. All about the same builtd..all second basemen....all got real big....real fast. ..all "forgot how to throw".

I remember Maas had a huge brace on his leg...maybe that is what did him in. Shit they were going to move Donny B-ball to the outfield to make room for him.....

Dude had the perfect swing for the Stadium too.

C. Wagon

Hmmm....very interesting theory there. I wonder if there is a connection between juice and being able to throw straight. I think plenty of pitchers have juiced as well and I don't think it effected their accuracy, but who knows. The Sax and Knobby disease was the most sudden, out of nowhere, phenomemon I've ever seen in my life. One time I was watching a game with my Yankee hating buddy and watched Knobby scoop the ball clean, set, focus, and then throw the ball into the ground about 2 feet in front of him (and first base was 25 feet away). Of course, throwing into the ground where it stops is better than throwing it 8 rows up in the seats turning a single into a double. My buddy razzed me something awful that day and all I could do was shake my head and have no idea what to say.

Hmmm....very interesting theory there. I wonder if there is a connection between juice and being able to throw straight. I think plenty of pitchers have juiced as well and I don't think it effected their accuracy, but who knows. The Sax and Knobby disease was the most sudden, out of nowhere, phenomemon I've ever seen in my life. One time I was watching a game with my Yankee hating buddy and watched Knobby scoop the ball clean, set, focus, and then throw the ball into the ground about 2 feet in front of him (and first base was 25 feet away). Of course, throwing into the ground where it stops is better than throwing it 8 rows up in the seats turning a single into a double. My buddy razzed me something awful that day and all I could do was shake my head and have no idea what to say.

Maybe it effects Muscle Memory? I know it improved eye hand cordination....but if that were the cause their throwing would have gotten better.

I have no idea.....but it seems like more then a coincidence...Sax, Knobby, and Boone.....

C. Wagon

Val's sort of sounds like my Grandfather's drug store...he had a lunch counter and old school soda jerk...a lot of the Yankees would stop in pre-game for a sandwich. ..

I know they sucked in the 60 and 70's...but I loved it when they played in Yankee Stadium. .always struck me as "real football"...not the one size fits all, same old same old cookie cutters they play in now.....for the life of me, and I've looked high and low...I've always wanted a aerial photo of the stadium when it was configured for football.

Man, I am truly envious Blu.....what a great time to live in the Bronx.

C. Wagon

it was a golden age. my old man had a restaurant/bar further down on 149th st.

so he had all the stadium cops eating on the cuff there. they would just take me in thru the press gate for giants games then i'd have to find a seat or stand. my dad had seats.

it was a golden age. my old man had a restaurant/bar further down on 149th st.

so he had all the stadium cops eating on the cuff there. they would just take me in thru the press gate for giants games then i'd have to find a seat or stand. my dad had seats.

Outstanding.

C. Wagon

all I know is that the royals could really use him these days...even at his current age.

Bet he could DH and hit .270....and being a huge red ass might just spook some of those kids into playing over their heads a bit. Hell, I'd watch just to throw shit at the TV screen.

C. Wagon