SportsWrath

Good bye Ollie and Slappy

jranieli

Kind of amazing to think about.... If you look back at all the horrible contracts the Mets have given out over the last 20 years: Bobby Bonilla, Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar.... these two were two of the worst. Glad to finally see that these guys are behind them. I really hope the focus shifts to developing the young talent in the organization. There does seem to be players there that can help us. I think maybe or organization is a little underrated.

I'm curious to see Lucas Duda... he could be a great power hitter. I still think F-Mart has a chance if he could ever stay healthy. Then you have Dillon Gee who might see some time for us this year. Plus I'm looking for big things from Josh Thole and Ike Davis this year. Thole has a chance to be a stellar hitter for us. And Davis could develop into one of the top sluggers in baseball, I don't think 30 homeruns are out of the question. There's Eddie Kunz and Jennry Mejia. There's Wilmer Flores, Bradley Holt, and I'm very excited about Reese Havens.

Not all these guys are going to pan out, but there is reason to be optimistic about many of them. Imagine if the Mets hit a homerun with just a couple of them, how good they could be for a long time.

As far as the second base job, a lot has been said recently about Luis Hernandez. Last year he hit .280 with a .316 OBP in 189 times, and he only took 10 walks. I'd rather see Justin Turner there or Brad Emaus this year. Turner was pretty good last year in AAA, hit .316 with a .374 OBP in 396 ABs. Despite the hot spring, it's got to be Turner over Hernandez. Brad Emaus was good with the Blue Jays (AAA) last year as well. Hit .298 with 10 homers and a .395 OBP, 49 RBI in 309 ABs.... had 50 BBs and 50 Ks for a 1 to 1 BB/K ratio (even I can do that math). I really think Emaus is going to win this job because if he doesn't make the big club, the Mets have to offer him back to the Blue Jays as he was a Rule 5 pick. I don't think the Mets are going to do that, so I'm pretty sure we are going to get a long look at a guy who could be a very good player for us for a long while.

I am going to see the Mets play the Tigers in Lakeland tomorrow. I'm really hoping to see a couple of these guys shine, much more so than I am wanting to see the typical guys, Reyes, Wright, Beltran, etc. I think the Mets finally got a good manager and are going to start to turn this around with the guys they have in the front office.

In terms of personnel decisions the Mets resemble the old Knicks. Huge crazy contracts for damaged and/or faded stars.

I think that WAS the Mets, but I think the Alderson regime is going to be different. Already, you see some shrewd moves with the cuts of the aforementioned players, but the Emaus pickup and the bullpen and starting pitching pieces he has acquired seem to be reasonable deals with high upside.

Chris Young has pitched well this spring and they didn't overpay for him. Same for Capuano. Both have risk, but I don't see this organization balking at giving younger pitchers or position players significant roles. There is already talk of Duda starting the year in RF because of Beltran's arthritic knees. And Dillon Gee could play a significant role in the rotation this year, too.

I think that WAS the Mets, but I think the Alderson regime is going to be different. Already, you see some shrewd moves with the cuts of the aforementioned players, but the Emaus pickup and the bullpen and starting pitching pieces he has acquired seem to be reasonable deals with high upside.

Chris Young has pitched well this spring and they didn't overpay for him. Same for Capuano. Both have risk, but I don't see this organization balking at giving younger pitchers or position players significant roles. There is already talk of Duda starting the year in RF because of Beltran's arthritic knees. And Dillon Gee could play a significant role in the rotation this year, too.

LOL!!! Yep both of them Allstar....I mean you have a pitcher who even I can take to the seats making millions of dollars. My question is why did they waste those weeks playing these two guys? Just eat the contracts another case of addition by subtraction.