SportsWrath

OG's in this year's draft - is bigger better? Me thinks so..

BleedinBlue

There was a time when the biggest players in football were offensive guards who got up to 320 lbs. But a decade later, 340 lbs is becoming the benchmark for big strong unmovable guards.

Remember when William Perry (aka, "The Refrigerator" or just "The Fridge"). We thought he was freakin huge (and he is compared to us). He was 6'2", 335 lbs.

There are several monster guards in this draft, all around 340 lbs or more. There's even LaQuan McGowan out of Baylor who is 6'8" 385 lbs. That is a tree!

Because of the large availability of these types of players in the draft, I have a hard time wanting to burn a first rd pick on a guard.

I personally really like Rob Havenstein who is 6'8", but only 335 lbs and will add weight as he matures.

Anyhooooo....here's a look at 14 players a year ago, some who are in this upcoming draft and who are setting the new standard for offensive guard. http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000359983

The bigger they are the faster they break down. How does size help them as teams continue to use faster players against them?

If the NFL was serious about cutting down on injuries to players and their overall health they would start imposing size limits on players.

The bigger they are the faster they break down. How does size help them as teams continue to use faster players against them?

If the NFL was serious about cutting down on injuries to players and their overall health they would start imposing size limits on players.

Interesting idea, but wouldn't that cause a discrimination issue?

I think height is more a concern at guard. I don't think you want a 6'6 guy there because of the leverage a DT can get. The point about a zone blocking scheme is also valid. Guards need to be able to move, pull, shift...and a guy needs to be more agile than big anymore. Give me a 6'3, 300+ lb guy who can move, who understands leverage, and is a mean mofo long before some 6'8 fatty.

I'm no fan of tall guards. I want them short and stocky (short is relative of course). I want them in the mold of O'hara, Snee, and Richie Suebert... lower center of gravity gives them a better chances at winning in the trenches.

I think height is more a concern at guard. I don't think you want a 6'6 guy there because of the leverage a DT can get. The point about a zone blocking scheme is also valid. Guards need to be able to move, pull, shift...and a guy needs to be more agile than big anymore. Give me a 6'3, 300+ lb guy who can move, who understands leverage, and is a mean mofo long before some 6'8 fatty.

:rules: get out of my head.

Likely 10 minutes after someone else... :LMAO:

:big F-U:

If anything I'm remembered for on this section it's:

• Strong advocate of a better conditioning program including yoga.
  • My immense dislike for Coughlin's many choices of DC's with especially Fewel.
  • My strong believe that OL's should be 6 3" and under but over 320lbs with nimble footwork.

:big F-U:

If anything I'm remembered for on this section it's:

• Strong advocate of a better conditioning program including yoga.
  • My immense dislike for Coughlin's many choices of DC's with especially Fewel.
  • My strong believe that OL's should be 6 3" and under but over 320lbs with nimble footwork.

And your availability for kicker tryouts

And your availability for kicker tryouts

True story. Tried to try out... didn't know I needed a middleman.

And experience with every injury ever and detailed memory on the recovery process.

3 concussions.

1 Torn miniscus (left knee... surgery in 2004)

1 Torn Achellis (right ankle... surgery in 2010)

3 Torn hamstring.

3 broken nose surgeries...

Countness sprained ankles

I'd say that's a pretty good resume :flex:

3 concussions.

1 Torn miniscus (left knee... surgery in 2004)

1 Torn Achellis (right ankle... surgery in 2010)

3 Torn hamstring.

3 broken nose surgeries...

Countness sprained ankles

I'd say that's a pretty good resume :flex:

Sounds like from the waist down, you're a giant pussy.

Now before you get your panties in a twist, know that I'm just messing with you.

Sounds like from the waist down, you're a giant pussy.

Now before you get your panties in a twist, know that I'm just messing with you.

I have a thick skin and you know that... my doctor told me I was too fast for my own good... being very small it's almost natural to be super fast... so much so that I used to have severe ankle sprains playing basketball... The pulled hamstrings were painful as shit but only started happening as I got older... The torn miniscus was due to overuse... I always played sports.. lots.. soccer, basketball, and football... the torn Achilles was a freak accident when I was shoved from behind playing basketball and didn't want to slam against the wall.. I took steps against the wall like I used to do when I was younger.. but this time the result wasn't as exciting :cwy:

I agree.

I think the NFL needs to set weight restrictions based on position. I'd also be in favor of position restrictions (e.g., limiting how many wide receivers can be out there, for example).

And they need to do a much better job on the equipment front.....they should design a football uniform that has mandatory knee protection, for example.

I agree.

I think the NFL needs to set weight restrictions based on position. I'd also be in favor of position restrictions (e.g., limiting how many wide receivers can be out there, for example).

And they need to do a much better job on the equipment front.....they should design a football uniform that has mandatory knee protection, for example.

I'm not sure I like the idea of that.