SportsWrath

First Round Pick

BleedinBlue

I have gone over the players so many times that I feel like I know many of them personally. I have read a thousand mock drafts and analyses and opinions from a dozen boards. It's made me dizzy in the head. Usually, I have my heart set on one particular guy. Last year it was Zack Martin and I lost my cool when we passed on him and got even angrier when the Cowboys snagged him. But watching OBJ this year, I couldn't be happier with last year's pick. The FO got it right.

And with all that said - I haven't a clue what the Giants will do. Not even close. Statistically, based on mocks - Scherff is a done deal. On the other hand, if Scherff is going to be a guard, which everyone says he will be - the Giants (and pretty much every other team) just don't go for guards in round one....or at least, in the top 15.

As it is, I am just going to sit back and watch and be happy with whatever they do. I no longer have a "favorite". As long as they don't trade up for a QB or take a RB at number 9, I will be happy. I won't be ecstatic if they go for a "tweener" like Ray, but I wouldn't poke a fork in my eye and go outside and set myself on fire. I like Beasley even though he's considered a "tweener" by some and I think he'd become a full time LB. Also, I won't be real happy if they go with Gregory at pick 9 because I think the guy is a fucking idiot, no matter how good he is as an edge rusher. If they do - I want TC to convince me that he has this under control and convince me that he's not as dumb as I think he is.

I'd be super happy if they traded down and got an extra day two pick, but can't imagine them trading up unless they thought they could land Leonard Williams without giving away the farm.

Regardless, you can probably tell by starting yet another thread, that I am getting antsy for the draft.

Here's the list of players that I think will be in the pool for the Giants at no. 9. It could be anyone of them or who knows, a shocker we never discussed.

Cooper, White, Parker, Scherff, Peat, Flowers, La'el Collins, Landon Collins, Shelton, Waynes, Beasley, Ray, or Dupree.

One of those guys will be a Giant in 11 days and I'd be thrilled with anyone of them.

Something tells me that the Giants are hoping that Owamagbe Odighizuwa falls to them in the 2nd round, but that is just a hunch. He'd be a top 10 DE if not for his past injuries and arguably a future great edge rushing DE in this draft. His two hip surgeries and missing all of 2013 is the red flag that will cause him to drop, but he won't get out of the 2nd round and likely ends up getting taken in the first. I remember when Tuck fell to us in the second because of his injuries at Notre Dame and that worked out for us. I don't think drafting a player with injuries usually pays off though.

1. Ereck Flowers OT Miami-Rising quickly up boards. Some may some this a reach, but honestly it's less of a reach than Scherff. Huge upside and can play RT,OG or LT.

2. Danielle Hunter DE LSU- 6'5 252 desired length and size the Giants look for and like LSU players. Didn't have much production at LSU, but was used wrong and did things that don't show up on the stat sheet. What I like he's is ability to track down read option QB's, who have killed the Giants in the past

3. Tyler Lockett WR Kansas St-Vertical threat that's an insurance policy for Cruz and probably takes over for Cruz in 2016

4. Kurtis Drummond-FS Michigan St-Rangy player with good ballskills(10 career int's, 33 pd's) Three year starter who can plug and play

5. Hayes Pullard LB USC-Active, rangy defender. Has played WLB and ILB. Teammate of Kennard and led USC in tackles three of the last four years

6. Derrick Lott DT Chattanooga

7. Robert Myers OG Tennessee St

7. Bobby McCain CB Memphis

In 2013 a guard went as high as the seventh pick in the first round. In the 2004 Chris Snee was a second round pick and the first guard taken in the draft and since then we are seeing more and more of them taken in the first round. I think the quality of players has diminished over the years with more players leaving college early to cash in. Some players barely have two seasons at the college level and are being projected to go in the first round this year. Players are now being drafted more on their potential to play at the next level than the body of work at the college level.

Its been discussed in length and detail for months that Giants have more needs than picks depending on who you ask. Giants benefit from being able to choose from a number of potential impact players at a nearly every position at nine. Absolutely nobody knows what is going to happen in the draft but we all enjoy speculating.

I could see the Giants going for Flowers at 9. Between him and Peat, they are the only two true LT's in the game, with La'el Collins in the mix, but maybe better suited for RT.

Peat is taller (by a half inch), but 15 lbs lighter. Also, Flowers has a slightly longer reach than Peat. Most impressive is that Flowers benched the weights 37 times, out lifting every offensive lineman at the combine. Only 5 out of 53 OLmen at the combine cracked 30 reps. So he's big and he's strong and he's a natural tackle.

I'd be happy with Flowers in the first. He'd be a long term player that would bode well for the future and an instant upgrade on the offensive side of the trench.

In 2013 a guard went as high as the seventh pick in the first round. In the 2004 Chris Snee was a second round pick and the first guard taken in the draft and since then we are seeing more and more of them taken in the first round. I think the quality of players has diminished over the years with more players leaving college early to cash in. Some players barely have two seasons at the college level and are being projected to go in the first round this year. Players are now being drafted more on their potential to play at the next level than the body of work at the college level.

Its been discussed in length and detail for months that Giants have more needs than picks depending on who you ask. Giants benefit from being able to choose from a number of potential impact players at a nearly every position at nine. Absolutely nobody knows what is going to happen in the draft but we all enjoy speculating.

Good points. I was reading an article today on how the Giants should use 7 criteria in selecting players in the draft that was quite interesting. Here's the link: http://www.bigblueview.com/2015-nfl-draft/2015/4/19/8449457/2015-nfl-draft-big-blue-view-rules-for-draft-success

Funniest 1st round pick in history goes to Oakland (surprise, surprise) in 1973 when they selected a punter in the first round. It was perennial pro-bowler Ray Guy, but man....first round????

It's not the position that bothers me at nine, it's the player

2. Danielle Hunter DE LSU- 6'5 252 desired length and size the Giants look for and like LSU players. Didn't have much production at LSU, but was used wrong and did things that don't show up on the stat sheet. What I like he's is ability to track down read option QB's, who have killed the Giants in the past

Hahaha, that's a girls name.

I have my heart set on Cooper, he's a game changer that paired with OBJ could make Eli's final years his most productive by far. If Cooper is off the board, I'm fine with Sheriff, if the guy is a legit starting caliber guard that will lock down the position for 10 years or so like Snee, then it's worth it. And from everything I've read there seems little doubt that he is pretty close to being that sure thing at guard.

Don't really have an opinion on most of the others. White is interesting but I don't trust WVU players.

I have my heart set on Dupree... if he's there, I don't see anyone close... My bias stems from not having anyone opposite of JPP and that I think our D needs to get its swagger back... I want to have that feeling (back when John Fox was our DC) when we needed a 3 and out... we just knew our D would step up... I no longer think DT is a need... I have faith Bromley will show us something this year.

Can't say I have my heart set on any one player at this point. Don't know that I will. The more I read, the more I think we'll get a player who will see significant playing time. I think that one of the most important considerations is that with a top 10 pick, we should see that player on the field. The player should be good enough to force his way into the starting lineup. Picking as high as we are, you could likely say the same thing about the second round pick.

3rd round and after, you want to start talking depth and rotational players and guys to hedge against free agents next year, fine.

Count me in the camp that says Flowers at #9 is too high, especially with the guys that should still be on the board. If you would take Flowers at #9 overall, you should be a staunch advocate for Peat at #9 if he's there. It would make zero sense to be Team Flowers and not Team Peat first.

Personally, I am fine with Scherff, Peat, or Collins, whoever the Giants think is the best of the three. I really think the Giants need an infusion of high level talent on the Offensive Line in this draft. What we have now is a group of guys that are in the 'pretty good' category, or 'a lot of potential'. To me, that means we aren't good enough. Beatty is pretty good. Pugh you could say is in both categories. Probably the same with Richburg. Schwartz is, IMO, very good but seems to be injured way too often. John Jerry is maybe in the potential category, maybe used to be pretty good, but is fair to say is the weak link in an otherwise passable but unexceptional offensive line. I believe this line needs a guy that can be a dominant force, and a player that will push the competitive juices of the other members of the offensive line to be even better. The Cowboys have 3 guys like that (Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin), and look what it did for them. Say what you want about the year Romo had, DeMarco Murray, and Dez Bryant, but the heart of that team and the reason they had the season they did was the dominance of their offensive line. We need that. That can come in the form of any of the three guys mentioned above.

If not these three, then I would be happy with Cooper, but I don't think he's going to be an option at #9.

Count me in the camp that says Flowers at #9 is too high, especially with the guys that should still be on the board. If you would take Flowers at #9 overall, you should be a staunch advocate for Peat at #9 if he's there. It would make zero sense to be Team Flowers and not Team Peat first.

Personally, I am fine with Scherff, Peat, or Collins, whoever the Giants think is the best of the three. I really think the Giants need an infusion of high level talent on the Offensive Line in this draft. What we have now is a group of guys that are in the 'pretty good' category, or 'a lot of potential'. To me, that means we aren't good enough. Beatty is pretty good. Pugh you could say is in both categories. Probably the same with Richburg. Schwartz is, IMO, very good but seems to be injured way too often. John Jerry is maybe in the potential category, maybe used to be pretty good, but is fair to say is the weak link in an otherwise passable but unexceptional offensive line. I believe this line needs a guy that can be a dominant force, and a player that will push the competitive juices of the other members of the offensive line to be even better. The Cowboys have 3 guys like that (Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin), and look what it did for them. Say what you want about the year Romo had, DeMarco Murray, and Dez Bryant, but the heart of that team and the reason they had the season they did was the dominance of their offensive line. We need that. That can come in the form of any of the three guys mentioned above.

If not these three, then I would be happy with Cooper, but I don't think he's going to be an option at #9.

We think alike and if I do have my heart set on anything with the first pick, it's our future LT. I would be happy with any of the three mentioned, but kind of favor Peat overall. But the more I read up on Flowers, the more I understand why he is rising up the boards. He's huge - heavier than Peat, but a half inch shorter, but slightly longer arms. And Flowers is ridiculously strong - 37 reps - blowing all offensive linemen -guards and tackles out of the water by a long shot. Peat did not lift at the combine so he's an unknown.

The biggest difference is where the muscle is stored. With Peat, there is no one bigger and more massive in the lower half of his body. Flowers is more upper body massive. The other thing I read is that Flowers is exceptionally "nasty", which I don't hear from Peat.

Either one is going to be in the NFL for a long time and potential pro-bowlers. From what I've read on the Eagle's pages, if they can't figure out a way to get a QB early, they are targeting Flowers.

Good article on Peat - "making the case for and against" him http://www.bigblueview.com/2015-nfl-draft/2015/4/20/8395593/2015-nfl-draft-nine-for-the-giants-at-no-9-andrus-peat-ot-Stanford

Thought you'd enjoy the read Jim