SportsWrath

Giants sign linebacker Ryan Jones (Baltimore Ravens)

BleedinBlue

If and only IF we have a great draft. I'm really concerned about our WRs. Our offense was absolutely INEPT before OBJ made his debut. If he goes down we're gonna be back to the same thing.

WR isn't the problem. Offense was inept because we couldn't run the ball. When OBJ finally made it on the field and we lost Cruz, still couldn't run the ball. Interior offensive line needs a dramatic improvement and hopefully they get Scherff.

WR isn't the problem. Offense was inept because we couldn't run the ball. When OBJ finally made it on the field and we lost Cruz, still couldn't run the ball. Interior offensive line needs a dramatic improvement and hopefully they get Scherff.

From what I've read so far Cann is a really good guard... I really think we'll grab him in the 2nd round.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aj_cann_710165.html

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-draft-profile-south-carolina-og-aj-cann

I'd be surprised if they burned an early pick on a skill player because of the high risk and short careers of that type of player. I suspect they'll build the trench or go for an edge rusher of some sort. Plus, I think they are higher on Randle than some fans think. And of course, OBJ is NOT sitting on the bench for anyone to play.

The Giants have spent more time checking out Justin Hardy than any other WR which gives me the idea he's on their radar. He'd be a top 10 pick if he was taller. He's definitely built to be a slot receiver and with Cruz an unknown at this point, I suspect they are looking for a backup in case he's not the Cruz of old.

Listed at 6 feet, he showed up at the combine barely reaching 5'10" so his stock fell like a brick. Most feel that he will be a superb slot receiver and not a long ball threat. He's a scrapper. He caught 387 passes for 4,541 yards and 35 touchdowns at ECUA. His last three seasons at East Carolina, he topped 1,000 receiving yards each season. As a senior this past season, he had 121 receptions for 1,494 yards with 10 touchdowns and is NCAA's all time leading receiver.

From SB Nation:

"After the New York Giants lost Victor Cruz to a patellar tendon tear in one of the worst games in recent memory against Philadelphia, even as Odell Beckham emerged as the league's hottest rising star, there's still a ton of questions about the Giants' wide receiving corps.

We know the Giants have been working out wide receivers in anticipation of the draft, could they possibly be in the market for Victor Cruz insurance? Let's take a look at a guy in Justin Hardy who could provide a reliable slot presence.

Pros

- Plays vicious and angry. Will knock you on your ass in run blocking and attacks the ball in the air.

- Terrific route runner. Makes sharp cuts and great acceleration in and out of breaks.

- Great body control and catch radius to contort body and adjust to errant throws

- Intelligent. Knows where the first round marker is and will adjust route/himself to get there.

Cons

- Slot receiver only at 5-foot-10, 192 pounds.

- Not physical enough to win consistently at the catch point due to his size.

- Not a deep threat

Does He Fit With The Giants?

Yes. He's a good fit for any team that needs a slot receiver. He's almost a prototype for the position, with the aggressiveness and anger needed to overcome the physical limitations. As Mike Mayock says, he's "quicker than fast" and he's got terrific body control to rein in catches in traffic. He's a good blocker and is ready to mash in the quagmire that is the shallow zone, where you've got corners, safeties, linebackers, running backs and others mucking around.

I saw a pro comparison of Beckham's teammate at LSU, Jarvis Landry, on Twitter for Hardy and I definitely think I agree with that. He plays with the same fire and the same passion to go down and do the dirty work. He goes late day 2 or early day 3 for me".

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015-nfl-draft/2015/4/16/8420157/2015-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-justin-hardy-wr-east-carolina-ny-giants

Here's my issue with that train of thought. Cruz is the biggest unknown on this team right now. By unknown I mean we know we need OL, DL, LB & S help, but we have no idea what we're going to get with Cruz. Is he going to be back to his 2011-2012 form? Or is he going to be the same WR that's only played 20 games over 2 seasons and only produced 1335 yards & 5 TDs over that same time span?

As far as Randle goes... we've put ourselves in a bad position. Randle is going into the final year of his rookie deal. Even if he produces at a high level we stand a good chance that he won't be back for 2016 since we've decided to go the route of allowing 3 huge players become free agents all in the same off season.

Behind Cruz and Randle are Parker (inconsistent), Marcus Harris/Corey Washington (training camp stars), and Ogletree/Dwayne Harris (the WRs that couldn't cut it in a pass happy Cowboys offense)... so essentially nothing special.

IMO we absolutely need a WR somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Doesn't have to be the first round, but we shouldn't be picking up the scraps either. I'm not sure where Hardy or Lockett are projected so I'm not going to say they aren't worth taking. I just don't want to see Reese waiting until round 6 to take a WR JUST because the draft is "deep" at receiver.

Here's my issue with that train of thought. Cruz is the biggest unknown on this team right now. By unknown I mean we know we need OL, DL, LB & S help, but we have no idea what we're going to get with Cruz. Is he going to be back to his 2011-2012 form? Or is he going to be the same WR that's only played 20 games over 2 seasons and only produced 1335 yards & 5 TDs over that same time span?

As far as Randle goes... we've put ourselves in a bad position. Randle is going into the final year of his rookie deal. Even if he produces at a high level we stand a good chance that he won't be back for 2016 since we've decided to go the route of allowing 3 huge players become free agents all in the same off season.

Behind Cruz and Randle are Parker (inconsistent), Marcus Harris/Corey Washington (training camp stars), and Ogletree/Dwayne Harris (the WRs that couldn't cut it in a pass happy Cowboys offense)... so essentially nothing special.

IMO we absolutely need a WR somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Doesn't have to be the first round, but we shouldn't be picking up the scraps either. I'm not sure where Hardy or Lockett are projected so I'm not going to say they aren't worth taking. I just don't want to see Reese waiting until round 6 to take a WR JUST because the draft is "deep" at receiver.

You make very good points.

I am just hoping and praying that Cruz is effective this season. OBJ takes a lot of pressure off the other WR's the way Cruz did before getting hurt. No team dares allow only one guy to guard OBJ. Once he started getting double-teamed, suddenly Randle was getting some action and looked like he was going to break out. As long as we have OBJ drawing double coverage, it's going to help the other receivers. God help the other team if Cruz is back to strength and also requires double coverage.

My biggest problem with WR's is that it seems their life span in the NFL is short. After 4 years, they get a massive contract then become useless or lazy. Not to mention, they are always one good hit from ending their careers. That's why I like building the trench in the early rounds - those guys usually don't get hurt and are around for 12-15 years and the longer they play together, the better they get as a unit. And I'm old school and believe you win the war in the trenches. Own the trench and you own your opponent.

You make very good points.

I am just hoping and praying that Cruz is effective this season. OBJ takes a lot of pressure off the other WR's the way Cruz did before getting hurt. No team dares allow only one guy to guard OBJ. Once he started getting double-teamed, suddenly Randle was getting some action and looked like he was going to break out. As long as we have OBJ drawing double coverage, it's going to help the other receivers. God help the other team if Cruz is back to strength and also requires double coverage.

My biggest problem with WR's is that it seems their life span in the NFL is short. After 4 years, they get a massive contract then become useless or lazy. Not to mention, they are always one good hit from ending their careers. That's why I like building the trench in the early rounds - those guys usually don't get hurt and are around for 12-15 years and the longer they play together, the better they get as a unit. And I'm old school and believe you win the war in the trenches. Own the trench and you own your opponent.

You and I have the same mindset about the trenches, however the draft is just as deep on the OL as it is at WR. Everyone seems to be on this Brandon Scherff bandwagon and while he seems to be the safest pick there's also guys like AJ Cann, Laken Tomlinson, Tre Jackson, Ali Marpet, and Josue Matias that can be taken in later rounds. Reese loves BPA as his draft strategy and I'm of the belief that unless we have absolutely no answer available that we need to go with an impact player in the 1st regardless of position.

Agreed, although I would love to add to your list, a big TE to groom into our future Gronk/Whitten type badass. Jesse James comes to mind. I will be thrilled if he becomes a Giant.

I'd prefer the badass Billy Gunn.

If that were the only reason our offense was inept, then OBJ wouldn't have made any difference at all. Fact is, running game or not our WRs couldn't get any separation from DBs and couldn't make tough catches. Neither Randle or Cruz could beat the double team and could barely beat single coverage and that contributed to our lack of a running game just as much as our piss-poor OL and injured/rookie RBs.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that the OL isn't a concern. It is a HUGE concern, but is there really that big of a problem if we go OL in the 2nd instead of the 1st? Cause if there is I don't see it. Everyone keeps saying the draft is deep at WR so we can wait on drafting one. It's deep at OG too. I'll be just as satisfied taking an impact WR or DL in the 1st and going AJ Cann/Laken Tomlinson/Tre Jackson in the 2nd as I would taking Scherff and (by some miracle) getting Phillip Dorsett in the 2nd. I'm all for fixing the OL, but ignoring the potential for a disaster situation at WR would be irresponsible at the very least.

If that were the only reason our offense was inept, then OBJ wouldn't have made any difference at all. Fact is, running game or not our WRs couldn't get any separation from DBs and couldn't make tough catches. Neither Randle or Cruz could beat the double team and could barely beat single coverage and that contributed to our lack of a running game just as much as our piss-poor OL and injured/rookie RBs.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that the OL isn't a concern. It is a HUGE concern, but is there really that big of a problem if we go OL in the 2nd instead of the 1st? Cause if there is I don't see it. Everyone keeps saying the draft is deep at WR so we can wait on drafting one. It's deep at OG too. I'll be just as satisfied taking an impact WR or DL in the 1st and going AJ Cann/Laken Tomlinson/Tre Jackson in the 2nd as I would taking Scherff and (by some miracle) getting Phillip Dorsett in the 2nd. I'm all for fixing the OL, but ignoring the potential for a disaster situation at WR would be irresponsible at the very least.

This is still a run first team and everything the Giants do on offense starts with the run. There is a talent drop off in this year's draft that is considerable at a number of positions and OL is one of them. Richburg was the top center prospect last year, drafted in the second round and he struggled last season to the point of being benched. Giants will not get lucky and draft a player of Chris Snee calibre in the second round because there isn't one in this draft.

My problem with the other OL players like Cann, Tomlinson and Jackson is they are not going to be impact players in 2015. They need more work and if there was more talent in the draft, they wouldn't be drafted until the third round.

This is still a run first team and everything the Giants do on offense starts with the run. There is a talent drop off in this year's draft that is considerable at a number of positions and OL is one of them. Richburg was the top center prospect last year, drafted in the second round and he struggled last season to the point of being benched. Giants will not get lucky and draft a player of Chris Snee calibre in the second round because there isn't one in this draft.

My problem with the other OL players like Cann, Tomlinson and Jackson is they are not going to be impact players in 2015. They need more work and if there was more talent in the draft, they wouldn't be drafted until the third round.

Come on... Richburg was playing out of position and next to a guy who was terrible and now no longer employed. No one outside of Jerry Reese thought JD Walton was still an NFL Caliber C and our OL suffered for it. Same deal with John Jerry.

I don't see this huge talent dropoff on the OL... especially not at 40.

Come on... Richburg was playing out of position and next to a guy who was terrible and now no longer employed. No one outside of Jerry Reese thought JD Walton was still an NFL Caliber C and our OL suffered for it. Same deal with John Jerry.

Walton isn't unemployed, he is a Miami Dolphin.

Agreed....all things considered, I think Richburg did a bangup job playing out of position as a rookie on a shit-sandwich line.

While WR is also a need, it's not as dire as DL, OG, and S... and since this draft is supposedly deep in WRs, then we can wait till the 4th round....

Agreed that it isn't as dire a need, but only because you have the relative unknown with Cruz's health and production post-surgery/rehab. My point is that we can't put WR on the back burner just because the draft is supposedly deep at the position. I'm banging the table for one of the big 3 (Cooper, Parker, or White) because I know one of them is gonna be there when we pick and pairing one of the 3 with OBJ would be beyond lethal and just what Eli needs at this point in his career... but seeing the amount of holes we have, I know that's a pipedream.

My ideal situation would be for us to trade back to Cleveland's #19 for a 2nd rd and HOPE Bud Dupree or Randy Gregory (reborn with plenty of guidance and support groups) falls to us. Then take Phillip Dorsett and one of Cann/Tomlinson/Jackson in the 2nd.

The draft needs to yield a S, OG, DE, LB, WR, CB though not necessarily in that order.

S - may need to start, or at least be 3rd on depth chart.

OG - will need to start.

DE - will need to be in rotation this year and to hedge against JPP next offseason

LB - will hopefully start next year.

WR - to hedge against Cruz injury, certainly not a first round priority

CB - to hedge agaisnt Prince next offseason

I don't think the holes are as many as most think...

IMO it's...

OG - 1

DE - 1

S - 2

LB - 1

WR - 1 (for now)

I feel like we have a shit ton of question marks.

OL - which Will Beatty shows up? Can Richburg be an effective center? Will Jeff Scharz actually play this season? Who is the LG?

WR - pretty much anybody not named Odell Beckham is a question mark. I'm not a believer in Ruben Randle.

RB - can Rashad Jennings stay healthy? Can Andre Williams actually find the hole once its there?

DL - Who is playing next to Hankins? Will JPP be the player of the first 11 games of the season or the last five? Will Damontre Moore actually contribute?

DB - Who the fuck are the starting safeties on this team?

LB - Can Beason stay healthy? Who is our weakside linebacker?

...not for nothing, but that's a lot of question marks. The Giants don't need everything to go right, but they need at least half of those things to go right to be successful. I'm not buying that they will. Bring on the Cowher era, and lets get rid of Reese too while we're at it.

I feel like we have a shit ton of question marks.

OL - which Will Beatty shows up? Can Richburg be an effective center? Will Jeff Scharz actually play this season? Who is the LG?

WR - pretty much anybody not named Odell Beckham is a question mark. I'm not a believer in Ruben Randle.

RB - can Rashad Jennings stay healthy? Can Andre Williams actually find the hole once its there?

DL - Who is playing next to Hankins? Will JPP be the player of the first 11 games of the season or the last five? Will Damontre Moore actually contribute?

DB - Who the fuck are the starting safeties on this team?

LB - Can Beason stay healthy? Who is our weakside linebacker?

...not for nothing, but that's a lot of question marks. The Giants don't need everything to go right, but they need at least half of those things to go right to be successful. I'm not buying that they will. Bring on the Cowher era, and lets get rid of Reese too while we're at it.

All those questions get answered in training camp and you can ask that question about every day until the start of the season.

Has there been a Giants team you haven't had a question mark about?

All those questions get answered in training camp and you can ask that question about every day until the start of the season.

Has there been a Giants team you haven't had a question mark about?

No, but I also don't remember a Giants team where I had questions about every position sans quarterback.

I also forgot to mention we have no starting TE.