SportsWrath

Pdouble's 3 Round Giants Mock (04/08/2015)

Mr. P

My updated mock/desired players. I think the first two will add some real toughness, grit, and leadership to the giants D. Sambraillo at the very least will be a G likely on the left side, but has potential to be the LT; versatile guy, plus played with Weston Richburg.

1 - SS Landon Collins, Alabama 6'0 221

2 - LB Stephone Anthony, Clemson 6'3 243

3 - OT Ty Sambraillo, Colorado St 6'6 311

4 - TE Tyler Kroft, Rutgers 6'5 246

My updated mock/desired players. I think the first two will add some real toughness, grit, and leadership to the giants D. Sambraillo at the very least will be a G likely on the left side, but has potential to be the LT; versatile guy, plus played with Weston Richburg.

1 - SS Landon Collins, Alabama 6'0 221

2 - LB Stephone Anthony, Clemson 6'3 243

3 - OT Ty Sambraillo, Colorado St 6'6 311

4 - TE Tyler Kroft, Rutgers 6'5 246

I just find it extremely hard to pass on a huge DT since our run D was atrocious last year... but even then we need an SS just as bad.

I just find it extremely hard to pass on a huge DT since our run D was atrocious last year... but even then we need an SS just as bad.

I agree about the run D. I think this particular SS and LB will excel against the run, plus I doubt Reese will draft Shelton, just because he has Hankins, Jenkins, Bromley, Ellis and Kuhn. Reese has never been a guy that stacks a position with draft picks, but we'll see; Jenkins is mediocre and Bromley has potential but is unproven, Ellis is likely just a backup/rotational lineman.

I agree about the run D. I think this particular SS and LB will excel against the run, plus I doubt Reese will draft Shelton, just because he has Hankins, Jenkins, Bromley, Ellis and Kuhn. Reese has never been a guy that stacks a position with draft picks, but we'll see; Jenkins is mediocre and Bromley has potential but is unproven, Ellis is likely just a backup/rotational lineman.

I think the signing of Kenrick Ellis kind of settles the "stop the run" game from the DT perspective. At 6'4, 320 lbs, Ellis loves stuffing the run and he's very good at it. The reason the Jets were down on him was because he had only one sack in his career and he was drafted in the 3rd round to get at the QB. But he's a pure run stuffer and is a human wall. With Hankins and Ellis in the middle of the trenches, it is highly unlikely that a RB is going to try to get past that - or even could if he chose to try. And of course, Bromley is no little guy - he's huge, but is quicker and has a knack for the sack. I suspect they want to start moving Bromley into a lot more work this season now that he's got his rookie season under his belt. It would seem odd to me for the Giants to draft a run stuffing DT in the first round with Ellis already on the squad....but who knows, I've been wrong many, many times trying to guess where the Giants are going.

[edit] and if they were looking for a DT that was strictly a run stuffer, I think they'd take Malcom Brown over Shelton. He's like running into an fat oak tree

You know.. I think you're right.. I completely forgot about Bromely... odd since I've been the one mostly talking about him since the season ended. I'd have to do a bit of reasearch about the names you mentioned... Although I do think taking him at our spot maybe too high so there has to be a trade down. Unless Dupree falls to us.. then no way we pass on a DE since we're lacking there too...

I think if the Giants pickup Shelton in the draft they follow it up announcing a switch to a 3-4 defense.

Our LB situation doesn't allow for it at this time.. and I'm a fab for 4-3 anyway.

All we have to do is move Moore and JPP to LB and that takes care of half the linebacker problem.

I'm not sure how JPP will perform at LB... Last thing we need is to take one of our best players out of his natural position.

I'm not sure how JPP will perform at LB... Last thing we need is to take one of our best players out of his natural position.

We aren't going to a 3-4. You don't take a stud DE like JPP and try him at a different position and Spags has always been a 4-3 type of guy (although, I admit I don't know what he did in his early days or with the Eagles).

I did a 3-round mock for the full NFL (99 picks). I used one site for draftee rankings and another that documented team needs and FA signings. I have the Giants going:

1 - DT, Danny Shelton, Washington (Mariota, Winston, Fowler, Cooper, Williams, Beasley, Scherff, Ray would be the top 8)

2 - OG, AJ Cann, South Carolina

3 - LB, Paul Dawson, TCU

Though I didn't go for a full 4 or 5 rounds, I figure the Giants could grab Derron Smith, FS in the 4th or Eskridge even. I would look at WR Chris Conley in the 5th.

But, the point about Hankins, Jenkins, Bromley, Ellis, Kuhn already being here is a good one. Kuhn would almost certainly end up being cut OR someone would have to play DE only. And because of this, I think trading down and picking up SS, Landon Collins, Alabama might be the way to go. You'd have to stay in the top 12 though, because I don't think there's any way L. Collins makes it past New Orleans at 13.

So that means you'd be looking at Rams, Vikings, Browns....trying to move into the 9 spot. But there'd have to be someone there that they'd not be able to get where they currently sit. OTs are still plentiful with Peat, Collins, Flowers still on the board. Would someone jump for DE Gregory? WR White, but WR Parker is still available....

Maybe we just take the S (Collins)...or take the DE (Dupree)...at #9.

I did a 3-round mock for the full NFL (99 picks). I used one site for draftee rankings and another that documented team needs and FA signings. I have the Giants going:

1 - DT, Danny Shelton, Washington (Mariota, Winston, Fowler, Cooper, Williams, Beasley, Scherff, Ray would be the top 8)

2 - OG, AJ Cann, South Carolina

3 - LB, Paul Dawson, TCU

Though I didn't go for a full 4 or 5 rounds, I figure the Giants could grab Derron Smith, FS in the 4th or Eskridge even. I would look at WR Chris Conley in the 5th.

But, the point about Hankins, Jenkins, Bromley, Ellis, Kuhn already being here is a good one. Kuhn would almost certainly end up being cut OR someone would have to play DE only. And because of this, I think trading down and picking up SS, Landon Collins, Alabama might be the way to go. You'd have to stay in the top 12 though, because I don't think there's any way L. Collins makes it past New Orleans at 13.

So that means you'd be looking at Rams, Vikings, Browns....trying to move into the 9 spot. But there'd have to be someone there that they'd not be able to get where they currently sit. OTs are still plentiful with Peat, Collins, Flowers still on the board. Would someone jump for DE Gregory? WR White, but WR Parker is still available....

Maybe we just take the S (Collins)...or take the DE (Dupree)...at #9.

I would be surprised if Dawson is still on the board in round 3. That would be nice and that'd be a steal if he was. Stranger things have happened.

I would be surprised if Dawson is still on the board in round 3. That would be nice and that'd be a steal if he was. Stranger things have happened.

CBS Sports has him ranked as 81 overall and the 4th ILB behind Kendricks, McKinney, Anthony.

Walter Football has him ranked as the 5th ILB, including Perryman ahead of him.

SI has Dawson as the 4th ILB with McKinney, Kendricks, Perryman ahead of him as well as a 3rd round grade.

On the other hand, Mike Mayock has Dawson as the top ILB.

I'd also be prepared to go after Mike Hull, ILB out of Penn State in round 5 if we'd miss out on Dawson in the 3rd.

I'm starting to really think about Scherff being the pick, or someone Beasley falling.

I think it could be Fowler. He's either going 3 to Jax or makes it to 9. Falcons could also be a possibility, but hearing they love Gurley

I think it could be Fowler. He's either going 3 to Jax or makes it to 9. Falcons could also be a possibility, but hearing they love Gurley

I'd be happier than christmas if Fowler fell to us.

Isn't Fowler a 3-4 OLB?

He's projected to be a strong side linebacker in a 3-4 system at the NFL level. He's a little bigger than Beasley who is also projected to be a linebacker in a 3-4. Neither are perfect for the 4-3. Fowler is like a smaller version of Damontre Moore. And Moore would help himself if he could add some weight and muscle, who is already bigger and better suited as a dedicated 4-3 DE than Fowler or Beasley.

Fowler is a smidgeon larger than Beasley, but is still perfectly built for the 3-4 and is experienced only in standing up at the snap and never with his hand in the dirt. Beasley would make a good linebacker "only" in a 4-3 IMO, but he too will never be a DE. I would love Beasley on the Giants as a LB as I think he could takeover the SAM or WILL with little adjustment and be a monster player.

They are tweeners whose specialty is pass rushing, and will draw major interest from teams already committed to the 3-4. Shane Ray is also in this category and is not suited for DE.

Kiwanuka was considered a "tweener" by some and he was 6'5 and nearly 270 lbs, much larger than either Fowler or Beasley, but could play with his hand in the dirt. I don't think either Fowler or Beasley could play with their hand in the dirt in a 4-3.

I would definitely prefer the Giants to get a genuine 4-3 DE. Bud Dupree, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Trey Flowers, Nate Orchard, Za’Darius Smith, etc. are natural 4-3 DE's "only". Then there's 4-3 DE's who have played in a college 3-4 system that are sleepers, like Anthony Chickillo who is ideal as a DE, but was forced to play out of position in Miami's 3-4.

Isn't Fowler a 3-4 OLB?

At Florida he played Jack LB/End, which is very similar to the LEO position in the NFL. Florida used him all over, hand in the dirt, standing up and even on the interior has a 3t. I think he's better suited has a 4-3 DE, but could play SLB in a 3-4. We have Moore who played a similar position to Jack at A&M...they called it Joker. Fowler is better at gap contain than Moore and plays the run very well. He needs better upper body strength basically just using his counter better. He has tons of lower body strength though and explodes off the ball