SportsWrath

Pdouble's 3 Round Giants Mock (04/08/2015)

Mr. P

Collins is a top 3 tackle, and potentially is the best in this class. I would draft him as the top tackle in the class, because I have fewer reservations about him than I do about Peat or Scherff. But you can put it in the bank that Collins will go in the top 15 picks. He will not last until our 2nd pick. It would be like saying Amare Cooper is going to last until pick 25 because the WR position is deep. It's just not going to happen.

I think the opinion that Scherff and Collins are just Guards is a faulty one, and I think there are many that would agree. They may start at OG, like Zack Martin did, but long term I believe both are OT's long term.

He slow footed big mean guy ala Robert Gallarey.

1 (9): Le'Al Collins, OT, LSU (He'll be fine at tackle)

2 (40): Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA

3 (74): Josh Shaw, CB/S, USC

4 (108): Tyeler Davison, DT Fresno State

That's who I'd like, but I have a feeling we're going towards SS Landon Collins, or DT Shelton from Washington. I'd be okay with this.

Sports Illustrated came out today with their "Most Likely Picks by Teams with the Top Ten Players in the Draft"

And they say the Giants will grab Andrus Peat and that he has the most potential of all tackles and at only 20 years old, will grow in upper body strength and become a dominate force for the next 10 - 15 years. They go on to say those on the inside believe the Giants are enamored with him and that Peat will be the first offensive lineman off the board.

I guess time will tell.

I don't see a lot of love for Andrus Peat, but there are those who think he's the best pure left tackle in the draft. Whoever gets him will plug him at tackle and he will own the spot and will never move to guard. There are no discussions anywhere suggesting that his future could be guard.

His legs are literally like trees. I've never seen such huge legs. His calves are larger than most football player's thighs. And at 6'7", he's a monster. And he's exceptionally agile for having such big legs and wowed at the combine for footwork. When his feet are locked in, no one can move him. Several writers say that Peat plays and looks like Jumbo Elliot, a stalwart LT who played for the Giants for 8 years. If the Giants take him, he'd be plugged in at RT to get his NFL baptism with the idea that he will be moving to LT within a couple of years to replace Beatty.

He's the sleeper first rounder who gets little attention and not much love from Giants' fans, but he's going to be a future star for some team.

The knock on him, "his upper body strength has not caught up with his lower body strength".

2dshkb4.jpg

andrus_peat_nfl_combine.jpg

Peat is intriguing. He is the most likely to be a great LT in the NFL in his career. I would not be surprised with the choice.

If he ends up on the Eagles, Cowboys, or Redskins roster - Giants fans will see a lot of him in the coming years.

He slow footed big mean guy ala Robert Gallarey.

7.70 3 cone and 4.63 20 yard shuttle (one-one hundreth off Peat's time). The 3-cone isn't fantastic but it isn't a complete failure. Russell Okung ran a 7.79 3 cone at his pro day. Joe Thomas ran a 7.95 on his pro day. I think when you evaluate these guys, you really have to look at the tape. I think he has the requisite feet to play LT. I don't think he plays there year one, though.

I tell you what. I'm really flip-flopping on this issue a lot. I am starting to think Peat might be the right choice. I don't think I will be disappointed with any pick out of Scherff, Peat, Collins, or Cooper. I'm not big on Shelton. And even though I think Dupree is projectable and has the body type of what we look for at DE, I don't think he has shown the productivity to warrant being picked at #9. I just believe that Scherff, Peat, Collins, and Cooper are safer picks; have higher floors.

7.70 3 cone and 4.63 20 yard shuttle (one-one hundreth off Peat's time). The 3-cone isn't fantastic but it isn't a complete failure. Russell Okung ran a 7.79 3 cone at his pro day. Joe Thomas ran a 7.95 on his pro day. I think when you evaluate these guys, you really have to look at the tape. I think he has the requisite feet to play LT. I don't think he plays there year one, though.

I tell you what. I'm really flip-flopping on this issue a lot. I am starting to think Peat might be the right choice. I don't think I will be disappointed with any pick out of Scherff, Peat, Collins, or Cooper. I'm not big on Shelton. And even though I think Dupree is projectable and has the body type of what we look for at DE, I don't think he has shown the productivity to warrant being picked at #9. I just believe that Scherff, Peat, Collins, and Cooper are safer picks; have higher floors.

He ran a 7.18 3 cone at his pro day

It's as if you are hiding in my head...except that I like Shelton and Beasley in the group as well. I don't think the Giants could possibly go wrong any of the three o-linemen on your list. I'm sure the front office has watched hours of tape on each and have sat down with scouts, and coaches, as well as had thorough personal interviews - things that go far beyond anything we'll be privy to.

One thing about Peat, his body is a freak of nature and simply massive like I don't think I've ever seen in a lineman. And at his age, he's not done growing both in size and strength. Mayock gushed over him during the combine and loved his body and athleticism for a kid with such a huge lower body. And he will never be accused of having short T-Rex arms - they are long and his hands are huge.

If the Giants take Shane Ray like some think, I am going to stick a fork in my eye and set myself on fire.

It's as if you are hiding in my head...except that I like Shelton and Beasley in the group as well. I don't think the Giants could possibly go wrong any of the three o-linemen on your list. I'm sure the front office has watched hours of tape on each and have sat down with scouts, and coaches, as well as had thorough personal interviews - things that go far beyond anything we'll be privy to.

One thing about Peat, his body is a freak of nature and simply massive like I don't think I've ever seen in a lineman. And at his age, he's not done growing both in size and strength. Mayock gushed over him during the combine and loved his body and athleticism for a kid with such a huge lower body. And he will never be accused of having short T-Rex arms - they are long and his hands are huge.

If the Giants take Shane Ray like some think, I am going to stick a fork in my eye and set myself on fire.

Yeah I think that's what is having me waver on Collins in favor of Peat... that Peat is just a massive human with agility and strength, coupled with the fact he's only 21 years old (will turn 22 during the season), and he is just that big and agile... you could be looking at a LT on the level of Walter Jones. If in 2 years, he's the best LT in football, and you chose Collins over him because he could help immediately at either RT or OG, then the pick is just foolish. I don't know if I'm becoming just enamored with size, but the limited tape I've seen on Peat is a little better than Collins if I'm being honest.

Peat is def rising up my board

Where does he play day 1 tho?

Beatty is a strict LT and idk if peat can play RT, he certainly can't play guard at his height.

Peat is the best LT prospect in the draft, but Scherff and Collins are such day 1 impacts and very safe picks who are projected as pro bowl level players soon.

Peat has the lowest floor and the highest upside IMO.

His conditioning is a joke and by far his biggest weakness

Peat is def rising up my board

Where does he play day 1 tho?

Beatty is a strict LT and idk if peat can play RT, he certainly can't play guard at his height.

Peat is the best LT prospect in the draft, but Scherff and Collins are such day 1 impacts and very safe picks who are projected as pro bowl level players soon.

Peat has the lowest floor and the highest upside IMO.

His conditioning is a joke and by far his biggest weakness

If the pick is Peat, he will play RT and Pugh will move inside to LG.

I've been saying Scherf because I see Guard as a bigger hole on our line right now. Richburg moves to Center and remember, we still really don't know what we've got in Schwartz......but if they go with Peat or another OT and move Pugh inside, I'll trust that the coaches and scouts have more insights than what I glean from reading the papers and surfing the net.

I'd also be OK with the unsexy run stuffing DT Bleedin mentioned in another thread. Been saying all along, the Giants two most glaring deficiencies last year were the inability to run the ball and to stop the run. Tough to win with that formula. As long as those weaknesses are addressed, I'm happy.

I've been saying Scherf because I see Guard as a bigger hole on our line right now. Richburg moves to Center and remember, we still really don't know what we've got in Schwartz......but if they go with Peat or another OT and move Pugh inside, I'll trust that the coaches and scouts have more insights than what I glean from reading the papers and surfing the net.

I'd also be OK with the unsexy run stuffing DT Bleedin mentioned in another thread. Been saying all along, the Giants two most glaring deficiencies last year were the inability to run the ball and to stop the run. Tough to win with that formula. As long as those weaknesses are addressed, I'm happy.

I think we are on shakier ground with our o-line in tackle rather than guard. If either Pugh or Beatty go down, we are in huge trouble. I agree that Schwartz is an unknown, but at least we have backups for guards and we signed Newhouse and Brett Jones. And I wouldn't be overly surprised if we pick up Ali Marpet in this draft in the middle rounds somewhere, not to mention there are dozens of candidates in the draft to fill a void in guards, but with tackle, it's pretty much Collins, Flowers, or Peat, with Peat being the only true "OT only" player. TJ Clemens and DJ Humphries were considered tackles at the college level, but few analysts believe they'll be tackles in the NFL.

I shudder to think what will happen if Pugh or Beatty go down for the season. We're screwed unless Newhouse can somehow turn things around and find his success from a few years back before losing his starting tackle job at Green Bay and then floundering at Cincinnati. I'm hoping that McAdoo knows something about Newhouse that others don't as he was the line coach at Green Bay when he helped draft him. I hope so anyway.

If the pick is Peat, he will play RT and Pugh will move inside to LG.

I imagine they would use Peat to backup Pugh at RT, barring injuries that would force a different scenario. Once Peat gets his feet wet - maybe somewhere between 6-10 games, I suspect he'd be moved to starter at RT with Pugh moving inside and Pugh spelling Peat at RT now and then. I don't think they'd throw Peat into the fire on day one unless he wowed at camp and preseason and Pugh was struggling. I suspect they'd work Peat in slowly, get his NFL feet and build his confidence, then let him take over RT. He'd probably also get a few shots at LT to give Beatty a breather as well. Two or three years down the road, he'd be the LT for the next 10 - 12 years. That's my best guess.

I imagine they would use Peat to backup Pugh at RT, barring injuries that would force a different scenario. Once Peat gets his feet wet - maybe somewhere between 6-10 games, I suspect he'd be moved to starter at RT with Pugh moving inside and Pugh spelling Peat at RT now and then. I don't think they'd throw Peat into the fire on day one unless he wowed at camp and preseason and Pugh was struggling. I suspect they'd work Peat in slowly, get his NFL feet and build his confidence, then let him take over RT. He'd probably also get a few shots at LT to give Beatty a breather as well. Two or three years down the road, he'd be the LT for the next 10 - 12 years. That's my best guess.

The 9th pick in the draft needs to be a day 1 started or contributor otherwise they aren't worth the pick, even if the upside is that good.

The 9th pick in the draft needs to be a day 1 started or contributor otherwise they aren't worth the pick, even if the upside is that good.

That would be nice, but I don't think there is a player in this draft that would start on the Giants on day 1. Maybe Landon Collins as we have a big hole at safety, but I don't think any other player could start.

In the past 25 years, the Giants have had only two players drafted who were starters for the season. LT in 1981, and Justin Pugh in 2013....and the only reason Pugh did was because we had a huge hole to fill and no one to fill it. I think OBJ would have started last year on day one if he wasn't injured. He's a special player that comes along very rarely, like LT.

Generally speaking, if a team has to start drafted players, it's because they have big holes that needed filling and ran out of options.

Here's a writeup on Peat from WalterFootball. They have Eric Flowers ranked 1, Peat 2, and Collins 3

"•Andrus Peat*, OT, Stanford

Height: 6-7. Weight: 313.

40 Time: 5.18.

Projected Round (2015): 1.

3/21/15: Generally, Peat is a reliable in pass protection and solid in run blocking. He needs to improve his knee bend as he can get caught reaching too much. Still, Peat has excellent size, length and athleticism. He also has a strong lower body built to get movement at the point of attack. Peat had a good performance at the Combine.

Peat was impressive against Maryland to close out 2014. The Terrapins have some fast edge rushers who gave Iowa left tackle Brandon Scherff a lot of problems, so it speaks well of Peat that he was able to impress against Maryland. Peat did well in his matchup with talented defensive end Owa Odighizuwa in closing out the regular season against UCLA. However, Peat had some issues with penalties. Against Oregon, Peat was challenged more in pass protection and allowed some defenders to get upfield, but he didn't give up a sack. Peat did also well in the ground game. In pass protection against Notre Dame, he didn't have issues with the Fighting Irish's defensive ends. Peat showed his athleticism and quickness on a few plays.

Peat's game against Washington was similar to his performance against USC. Overall it was good, but he had a few plays where Huskies outside linebacker Hau'Oli Kikaha gave him problems. Generally, Peat won his blocks. He had a good game against USC in Week 2 and did well in his plays against Leonard Williams and was generally rock solid. However, Peat had a mental mistake on Stanford's last play that led to a sack-fumble for the Trojans to clinch their win.

8/27/14: Peat lived up to the big expectations in 2014. The first-year starter had an excellent debut for the Cardinal. In the ground game, Peat did a good job of opening holes and getting movement of defenders while also being a good pass-protector. He was All-Pac-12 Second-Team selection.

Peat has a ton of upside and last year seemed to be just scratching the surface of what he is capable of becoming. Peat has the size and athleticism to potentially develop into a high first-round pick and franchise left tackle.

Stanford moved David Yankey inside to guard in 2013 becase of Peat. He has a rare combination of size, strength and athleticism. Peat impressed when he rotated into the game last year.

Personal: Son of Todd and Jana Peat. His father played six seasons in the NFL for the St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals and Los Angeles Raiders. Andrus Peat's brother Todd, Jr. plays for Nebraska.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015OT.php