SportsWrath

Pdouble's 3 Round Giants Mock (04/08/2015)

Mr. P

I'd be pretty happy with Bud Depree, but I think getting him with the 9th pick overall is a mistake. He's going to be a solid football player, but I don't think he's guaranteed to be a future pro-bowler. With that in mind, I've been wrong many times in the past when evaluating players. I would love it if after the draft, the teams would actually show us their own rankings, because they rank every college player down to a freaking div II kicker. When the dust settles, we have no idea who the Giants were really high on and how close they came to missing the player they really wanted. I think last year, they breathed a sigh of relief when Beckham was still on the board because I think they had him rated higher than Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans who went before him. Hell, Buffalo traded their 1st round, and their 1st and 4th round for the following year to Cleveland to get Watkins. I's say that Cleveland raped Buffalo, but they turned around and burned their first round (Buffalo's original 22 pick) on Johnny "Party"...I mean Johnny Football, who is sure looking like a Tebow-like bust. They'll more than likely make up for it this year though. So glad we got OBJ without having to give up anything other than sitting tight....even though at the time I was so upset that we passed on Zack Martin.

Regardless, it would be really cool to see that list after the draft is over. Those are put together by real professionals who have scouts that follow the players year round and have personal info that no magazine or website will ever get.

I'd be pretty happy with Bud Depree, but I think getting him with the 9th pick overall is a mistake. He's going to be a solid football player, but I don't think he's guaranteed to be a future pro-bowler. With that in mind, I've been wrong many times in the past when evaluating players. I would love it if after the draft, the teams would actually show us their own rankings, because they rank every college player down to a freaking div II kicker. When the dust settles, we have no idea who the Giants were really high on and how close they came to missing the player they really wanted. I think last year, they breathed a sigh of relief when Beckham was still on the board because I think they had him rated higher than Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans who went before him. Hell, Buffalo traded their 1st round, and their 1st and 4th round for the following year to Cleveland to get Watkins. I's say that Cleveland raped Buffalo, but they turned around and burned their first round (Buffalo's original 22 pick) on Johnny "Party"...I mean Johnny Football, who is sure looking like a Tebow-like bust. They'll more than likely make up for it this year though. So glad we got OBJ without having to give up anything other than sitting tight....even though at the time I was so upset that we passed on Zack Martin.

Regardless, it would be really cool to see that list after the draft is over. Those are put together by real professionals who have scouts that follow the players year round and have personal info that no magazine or website will ever get.

Yea Buffalo fucked the dog with that stupid trade... you just don't do shit like that for a WR... sorry...

I think if Shelton is there in the 1st, he's our pick and I agree with Pdub about Randall in the 3rd. (I don't recall who I'd picked for the 2nd round at the moment... I know it was an OL)

Yea Buffalo fucked the dog with that stupid trade... you just don't do shit like that for a WR... sorry...

I think if Shelton is there in the 1st, he's our pick and I agree with Pdub about Randall in the 3rd. (I don't recall who I'd picked for the 2nd round at the moment... I know it was an OL)

When you want a specific player as bad a Buffalo did, you negotiate with the other team as you let them hold you by the balls. Kinda happened with us when we got Eli. Here's my wallet and credit cards, throw in the kitchen sink, a weekend with the wife, take my hunting dog, and then corn hole me if that's what it will take. The Giants were lucky that Eli turned out to be a winner of two super bowls. Imagine if he hadn't and Roethlisberger had fingers full of them. It would be the story being told about the Giants for the next hundred years.

Never a good position in negotiating a deal when you absolutely refuse to settle for anything less than one specific player.

When you want a specific player as bad a Buffalo did, you negotiate with the other team as you let them hold you by the balls. Kinda happened with us when we got Eli. Here's my wallet and credit cards, throw in the kitchen sink, a weekend with the wife, take my hunting dog, and then corn hole me if that's what it will take. The Giants were lucky that Eli turned out to be a winner of two super bowls. Imagine if he hadn't and Roethlisberger had fingers full of them. It would be the story being told about the Giants for the next hundred years.

Never a good position in negotiating a deal when you absolutely refuse to settle for anything less than one specific player.

Exactly... I can at least see how a team would do it for a QB like Luck or even Eli but for a WR... or any other position for that matter hell no.

But what always mystifies me is how all these expert scouts and personnel people can study the same player and come away with such varying opinions. And how the players can confound you, for better or worse - Tom Brady, 6th round?! Johnny Party, 1st?! Over time, some teams will prove to be more successful than others but everybody has their hits and misses. Like weather forecasting, it's an inexact science.

But what always mystifies me is how all these expert scouts and personnel people can study the same player and come away with such varying opinions. And how the players can confound you, for better or worse - Tom Brady, 6th round?! Johnny Party, 1st?! Over time, some teams will prove to be more successful than others but everybody has their hits and misses. Like weather forecasting, it's an inexact science.

I would especially love to see the Patriots secret list. On draft day, I usually scratch my head on their picks. Yet they always seem to find the jewels in box of rocks.

I don't think Dupree makes it to the Giants, but I would love it.
Mine is...

1. Brandon Scherff OG Iowa
2. Michael Bennett DT Ohio St
3. Ali Marpet OG Hobart
4. Tyler Kroft TE Rutgers
5. Imoan Claiborne CB Northwestern St
6. Cedric Thompson FS Minnesota
7. Mike Reilly DE William & Mary
7. Zach Zenner RB/FB South Dakota St

I don't think Dupree makes it to the Giants, but I would love it.

Mine is...

1. Brandon Scherff OG Iowa

2. Steven Nelson CB Oregon St

3. Ali Marpet OG Hobart

4. Tyler Kroft TE Rutgers

5. Xavier Williams DT UNI

6. Cedric Thompson FS Minnesota

7. Obum Gwacham DE Oregon St

7. Zach Zenner RB/FB South Dakota St

I would love to see us get Zack Zenner in a late round. I suspect he'll be gone by the 7th. Groom him alongside Hynoski so he'd have the flexibility to play HB or FB and can block, run, and catch out of either position keeping the defense confused. And the way RB's go down, it's always nice to have a solid guy who can switch positions and fill in.

Love the 2nd. I dont get people who want 1st on a Tackle who will only make it as a guard. I hope we fall back in the 1st a scoop up Perriman(sp) the Miami MLB.

I guess what you're not getting is that most believe he will be a Pro Bowl Guard. At Tackle, maybe a question about speed rushers in space but as a Guard, there is general agreement in everything I've read that he's a plug and play for 8-10 years guy, as safe a pick as you could make. I'm not adverse to going defense if there's as safe a pick out there but don't minimize the impact a steam roller OG could have on our offense. Imagine the damage Eli & Odell could do if opposing defenses actually had to worry about a running game!

Love the 2nd. I dont get people who want 1st on a Tackle who will only make it as a guard. I hope we fall back in the 1st a scoop up Perriman(sp) the Miami MLB.

I think the opinion that Scherff and Collins are just Guards is a faulty one, and I think there are many that would agree. They may start at OG, like Zack Martin did, but long term I believe both are OT's long term.

I don't see a lot of love for Andrus Peat, but there are those who think he's the best pure left tackle in the draft. Whoever gets him will plug him at tackle and he will own the spot and will never move to guard. There are no discussions anywhere suggesting that his future could be guard.

His legs are literally like trees. I've never seen such huge legs. His calves are larger than most football player's thighs. And at 6'7", he's a monster. And he's exceptionally agile for having such big legs and wowed at the combine for footwork. When his feet are locked in, no one can move him. Several writers say that Peat plays and looks like Jumbo Elliot, a stalwart LT who played for the Giants for 8 years. If the Giants take him, he'd be plugged in at RT to get his NFL baptism with the idea that he will be moving to LT within a couple of years to replace Beatty.

He's the sleeper first rounder who gets little attention and not much love from Giants' fans, but he's going to be a future star for some team.

The knock on him, "his upper body strength has not caught up with his lower body strength".

2dshkb4.jpg

andrus_peat_nfl_combine.jpg

I guess what you're not getting is that most believe he will be a Pro Bowl Guard. At Tackle, maybe a question about speed rushers in space but as a Guard, there is general agreement in everything I've read that he's a plug and play for 8-10 years guy, as safe a pick as you could make. I'm not adverse to going defense if there's as safe a pick out there but don't minimize the impact a steam roller OG could have on our offense. Imagine the damage Eli & Odell could do if opposing defenses actually had to worry about a running game!

Agreed. Look what's it done for our division rivals in Dallas. He's not a sexy pick that will sell jerseys, but he will fill their biggest hole and i still like Marpet. I can imagine an oline with Scherff, Richburg, Marpet and Pugh for the next ten years and i'm happy

For my 3-round mock, I want the first pick to be in the trench. I believe the two top players on the board will be Shelton and Scherff. If they go offense in the first, it'll be defense in the second and vice versa so I have a two way 3-rounder depending on which side of the ball the Giants go for in the first round.

If defense taken in first:

1) DT Danny Shelton - Washington

2) OG Ali Marpet - Hobart

3) S Jaquiski Tartt - Samford

If Offense taken in first:

1) OG Brandon Scherff - Iowa

2) ILB Benardrick McKinney - Mississippi St.

3) S Jaquiski Tartt - Samford

For me it would be an absolute coup if they could snag any of these guys in the later rounds: DE Anthony Chickillo, TE Jesse James, and FB/HB Zack Zenner

I still think we go D first.. and I'd take Dupree over Shelton but I will be happy with either one. I can see us going safety in the 2nd but I don't see anyone going that high so maybe the third is where we may get Cody Prewitt or Randall.

1. Dupree/Shelton DL

2. Collins/Erving OL

3. Prewitt/Randall S

I still think we go D first.. and I'd take Dupree over Shelton but I will be happy with either one. I can see us going safety in the 2nd but I don't see anyone going that high so maybe the third is where we may get Cody Prewitt or Randall.

1. Dupree/Shelton DL

2. Collins/Erving OL

3. Prewitt/Randall S

Which Collins? The only ones I know of are Safety Landon (who will be gone in the top 15 picks) and La'el who will be gone in the top 20.

Which Collins? The only ones I know of are Safety Landon (who will be gone in the top 15 picks) and La'el who will be gone in the top 20.

La'el Collins out of LSU. I think we get him in the 2nd. And even then there's plenty of really good prospects when we pick. AJ Cann would be my 3rd option.

La'el Collins out of LSU. I think we get him in the 2nd. And even then there's plenty of really good prospects when we pick. AJ Cann would be my 3rd option.

Collins in the 2nd????

Did you hack my computer and get hold of my new weed guy??

Collins in the 2nd????

Did you hack my computer and get hold of my new weed guy??

I think there will be a run on certain positions and the OG/T positions are well stocked... Collins is top 10 Tackle but not top 5. So yea.. there's a chance.

I think there will be a run on certain positions and the OG/T positions are well stocked... Collins is top 10 Tackle but not top 5. So yea.. there's a chance.

There's always a chance in the case of the runs. I can see teams drooling over this years WR stock, so they might burn their first rounders on WRs, especially since the rest of the draft is weak after the first round. And of course, there's always teams that need a valid QB so we might see a few taken in the first.

But in reality, I think some team will have him off the board in the first half of the first round.

But you never know how things will go. It always surprises me after I think I have it all figured out.