SportsWrath

Randy Gregory as the 9th pick

osi724dasack

Marijuana use could have him drop to 9.

He's arguably the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

Played in a complex system and still put up sacks against big competition

Young guy, 6-6 240, can easily add 20 pounds tho with losing no speed. He's insanely athletic and long. Is a complete DE who can also play LB at a high level and cover.

He's a rare rare rare prospect and has the versatility to be a hybrid in a 4-3 if he stays light. Otherwise he can add weight easily and be a all pro caliber DE full time

At 240 lbs, you can keep him. If he bulked up into the 260-275 range, then I'd be interested given he'd be a 4-3 DE responsible for containment, setting the edge, etc. At 240 lbs, once some 330 lb OT got his hands on him, it'd be lights out for Gregory. Sure, he's quick and might have a good pass rush, but on our defense, he'd need to be stout against the run and I just don't see him winning enough battles in the run game to warrant the pick.

i don't think it's impossible. reese likes those guys who drop lower than their talent suggests they should be drafted

Sure, but there's a reason they dropped... I'd rather go with a safe pick that will make an immediate impact and at 9th, we have a lot of options and may even trade down and pick up extra pick(s). Speaking of pot, if you're too stupid to stay off pot in order to make millions, then you're too stupid to be on our roster. Pot isn't that serious and I'm not personally against it but it speaks volumes as to the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the player who smokes knowing the rules. Also prolonged pot smoking especially at a young age makes a person dumber, slower, and lazier.. that is a fact.

Sure, but there's a reason they dropped... I'd rather go with a safe pick that will make an immediate impact and at 9th, we have a lot of options and may even trade down and pick up extra pick(s). Speaking of pot, if you're too stupid to stay off pot in order to make millions, then you're too stupid to be on our roster. Pot isn't that serious and I'm not personally against it but it speaks volumes as to the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the player who smokes knowing the rules. Also prolonged pot smoking especially at a young age makes a person dumber, slower, and lazier.. that is a fact.

Well said. Agree wholeheartedly on the lack of personal responsibility aspect. It's like...you know you're being drug tested on this day....and you don't have enough self control to not smoke up the week, the two weeks prior...however long pot stays in your system...you can't just stay away from it that long to ensure you have a clean test on perhaps the biggest and most important day of your life? It shows that the player values self and short term as opposed to team and long term.

I think society plays a role in placing these guys on a pedestal from a very young age and allowing them to get away with everything because they're as talented as they are. But that's only a piece of it and it's another discussion altogether.

Well said. Agree wholeheartedly on the lack of personal responsibility aspect. It's like...you know you're being drug tested on this day....and you don't have enough self control to not smoke up the week, the two weeks prior...however long pot stays in your system...you can't just stay away from it that long to ensure you have a clean test on perhaps the biggest and most important day of your life? It shows that the player values self and short term as opposed to team and long term.

I think society plays a role in placing these guys on a pedestal from a very young age and allowing them to get away with everything because they're as talented as they are. But that's only a piece of it and it's another discussion altogether.

okay, I'm with you guys on the stupidity of not getting themselves ready to pee clean for this biggest, most important day of their lives. But can we at least be real about what it says about a guy? I've seen this line of criticism a few times now, that a guy who doesn't pee clean at the combine shows that he is the kind of guy who 'puts himself ahead of the team'.... but....HE ISN'T EVEN ON A GODDAMN TEAM.

Does it show he isn't very bright? Possibly. Does it show he has impulse control problems? Almost definitely. Is it evidence of a team-wrecking narcissism? Hell no.

okay, I'm with you guys on the stupidity of not getting themselves ready to pee clean for this biggest, most important day of their lives. But can we at least be real about what it says about a guy? I've seen this line of criticism a few times now, that a guy who doesn't pee clean at the combine shows that he is the kind of guy who 'puts himself ahead of the team'.... but....HE ISN'T EVEN ON A GODDAMN TEAM.

Does it show he isn't very bright? Possibly. Does it show he has impulse control problems? Almost definitely. Is it evidence of a team-wrecking narcissism? Hell no.

It shows priorities...that he'd rather smoke up now and neglect what effects it could have later. Not a pattern of behavior I want on my team.

Since football is a team sport, eventually it becomes a team's problem...

Since football is a team sport, eventually it becomes a team's problem...

Very true. Like adding one rotten apple to the bushel basket. Gregory is the epitome of "dumb ass". Such a shame to have so much talent and so little sense. "Duhhhh, sorry coach, duh, I was just following my urges...".

It shows priorities...that he'd rather smoke up now and neglect what effects it could have later. Not a pattern of behavior I want on my team.

And that makes sense. I'm not saying that this isn't a red flag, just that its not fair to the individual or smart from a talent evaluation perspective, to use it as an artificial red flag for completely unrelated issues.

We all know there are great NFL players who are pot heads. Most of them just get their shit together to piss clean. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with having one of those latter guys on the team. From what I've read about Gregory's talent, I'd take him too at the right draft position.

And that makes sense. I'm not saying that this isn't a red flag, just that its not fair to the individual or smart from a talent evaluation perspective, to use it as an artificial red flag for completely unrelated issues.

We all know there are great NFL players who are pot heads. Most of them just get their shit together to piss clean. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with having one of those latter guys on the team. From what I've read about Gregory's talent, I'd take him too at the right draft position.

I think you're trying to play the devil's advocate... a shade too hard :)

There is zero percent chance of this happening.

Unless he's a sure-fire HOF'er, he won't be touched until at least the second round. Mario Manningham was projected 1st round, did the same shit, and we drafted him in the 3rd. Granted, Manningham wasn't ranked as highly, but the GMs will consider the "stupid factor" of Gregory's actions.

I wouldn't rule him out completely, either. Sure there's Will Hill, who was too stupid to even stay clean knowing about drug tests; but we also kept Tyree after getting busted with a pound of pot in the trunk of his car, and the aforementioned Manningham.

True. The guys that go in the first round despite drug use issues are the likes of Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, and Dan Marino.

I have seen literally nothing of the guy so I have no clue how good he is, but it seems incredibly unlikely that he'd be worth the 9th overall pick.

I'm starting to warm up to Bud Dupree.

More and more, I'm starting to think that trading down is the best move. Of course, there would have to be someone available that a team below us would really want and would be scared of another team below us taking...a scenario that is tough to predict.

Unless he's a sure-fire HOF'er, he won't be touched until at least the second round. Mario Manningham was projected 1st round, did the same shit, and we drafted him in the 3rd. Granted, Manningham wasn't ranked as highly, but the GMs will consider the "stupid factor" of Gregory's actions.

I wouldn't rule him out completely, either. Sure there's Will Hill, who was too stupid to even stay clean knowing about drug tests; but we also kept Tyree after getting busted with a pound of pot in the trunk of his car, and the aforementioned Manningham.

Yeah, its still possible we'd take a shot on the guy, but not with the 9th overall pick. He's still there in Round 3? Sure, take a shot at him... Reese loves the risk/reward guys in those rounds. But no way are we picking a guy with character concerns after the Will Hill fiasco with the 9th pick.

I'm so tired of even discussing or reading Gregory's name. He has no chance at #9. This coaching staff isn't taking him given the failed test, and they probably would not have taken him even if there was no failed test. He's light in the pants for DE right now, and even though he may be projectable, at #9 overall you are looking for a stud right now, that will play at a high level, is pro ready, and clean. That's Scherff, La'el Collins, maybe Bud Dupree. But not Gregory.

I'm so tired of even discussing or reading Gregory's name. He has no chance at #9. This coaching staff isn't taking him given the failed test, and they probably would not have taken him even if there was no failed test. He's light in the pants for DE right now, and even though he may be projectable, at #9 overall you are looking for a stud right now, that will play at a high level, is pro ready, and clean. That's Scherff, La'el Collins, maybe Bud Dupree. But not Gregory.

Like Sam Mack?

HIHO!

C. Wgaon