SportsWrath

Talks breaking down with Sox and Matsuzaka

gateb

I believe the Red Sox were only trying to block the Yankees from getting him. In reality, they blocked the Mets, which is good, because I'm not sold on the idea of using all that money on an unproven (in the majors) pitcher. I'd rather see the Mets spend that money on Zito.

I believe the Red Sox were only trying to block the Yankees from getting him. In reality, they blocked the Mets, which is good, because I'm not sold on the idea of using all that money on an unproven (in the majors) pitcher. I'd rather see the Mets spend that money on Zito.

I don't believe that at all...it's simply Boras wanting way too much money. Boras thinks Matsuzaka should be getting paid 15 million dollars a year PLUS the 51 million dollar posting fee, and that's too much for the Red Sox. The Sox are offering a reasonable 8 million a year for four-five years. That's leaps and bounds above what Matsuzaka was paid in Japan. If the Red Sox just wanted to block other teams then they wouldn't have tried so hard...but you have to understand where they're coming from. I think it'll all depend on what Matsuzaka wants...maybe in the last few days he'll decide, fuck Boras, I want to pitch in the major leagues.

I believe if Selig believes the Sox just bid to block a team, he will award Matzusaka's rights with the second highest bidder (Mets). Which totally sucks ass.

I don't see that happening at all. The only person who would win from Matsuzaka not signing is Boras who will reinforce his image...though it might hurt his chances with Japanese FAs and send more to top agents like Arn Tellem or the Hendricks. But if Matsuzaka isn't signed, the Lions lose, Matsuzaka loses, and the Red Sox lose. It is in their best interest to sign him but not if it's outrageous. Granted, if the Red Sox lose out on Matsuzaka, they'll step up their pursuit of Clemens who will have to make a difficult decision about whether or not to leave his family and pitch for one of two cities in the biggest rivalry in all of sports. If Matsuzaka is still with the Lions in 2007, the country of Japan will not be happy...and then he'll just come over to the Yankees next year on a 70 million dollar posting bid.

BOSTON -- Daisuke Matsuzaka headed to Boston on Wednesday with Red Sox officials, a sign Boston had reached a preliminary contract agreement with the star pitcher.

"They all took off together," Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Team president Larry Lucchino said shortly after noon ET that the plane was leaving California.

In prior days, agent Scott Boras had said he would not allow Matsuzaka to travel to Boston for a physical unless the sides had reached a preliminary agreement.

Boston officials flew to Newport Beach, Calif., on Monday on Henry's plane and said they would return Wednesday with or without Matsuzaka. The team and Matsuzaka have a midnight Friday ET deadline to reach an agreement.

:rock:

Lorf, i also thought the Sox did it to block the Yanks. As for wanting 15 mil on top of the 51, the player doesn't get any of that money so he shouldn't accept that as an argument. Now i'm not saying he won't be overpaid for a pitcher who has never played in a, MLB game, but if they're gonna pony up 51 mil for the rights to him, they should have been prepared to pay him.

Lorf, i also thought the Sox did it to block the Yanks. As for wanting 15 mil on top of the 51, the player doesn't get any of that money so he shouldn't accept that as an argument. Now i'm not saying he won't be overpaid for a pitcher who has never played in a, MLB game, but if they're gonna pony up 51 mil for the rights to him, they should have been prepared to pay him.

I think by now everyone should know how the Sox brain trust works. They're smart guys who won't give in. Granted, in hindsight, that hurts with the Damon negotiations long in the past. If any team predicted this sort of market, things would be different. The Sox would definitely have resigned Damon to that now reasonable deal...but then again, their fears with Pedro proved true so we'll see with Damon. Anyway, you can't blame a team for not immediately tossing money onto a guy. I'm in the camp that believes that the Sox have an upper hand in the dealings while Boras is just being Boras. And hey, if the reported deals are true, they've agreed to a 6 year 52 million dollar deal which is quite satisfactory and a lot better than immediately tossing him 15 million dollars a year. For me though, the selling point is the years. Take that, Boras. To have a young Matsuzaka leading a staff of Papelbon, Beckett, and Lester is beautiful. I'd love to sign someone else next year with the money saved from Schilling's retirement, but fuck, imagine how much money Carlos Zambrano is going to get!

I think by now everyone should know how the Sox brain trust works. They're smart guys who won't give in. Granted, in hindsight, that hurts with the Damon negotiations long in the past. If any team predicted this sort of market, things would be different. The Sox would definitely have resigned Damon to that now reasonable deal...but then again, their fears with Pedro proved true so we'll see with Damon. Anyway, you can't blame a team for not immediately tossing money onto a guy. I'm in the camp that believes that the Sox have an upper hand in the dealings while Boras is just being Boras. And hey, if the reported deals are true, they've agreed to a 6 year 52 million dollar deal which is quite satisfactory and a lot better than immediately tossing him 15 million dollars a year. For me though, the selling point is the years. Take that, Boras. To have a young Matsuzaka leading a staff of Papelbon, Beckett, and Lester is beautiful. I'd love to sign someone else next year with the money saved from Schilling's retirement, but fuck, imagine how much money Carlos Zambrano is going to get!

I understand where the sox are coming from, but the same guy they don't want to toss money at they just threw 51 million dollars at his team, you can't hand over that kind of dough just to negotiate and then low ball the player, not only is it not practical it just ain't right.

But yeah, thats a heck of a staff if Mtsuzaka becomes what everyone thinks.

I understand where the sox are coming from, but the same guy they don't want to toss money at they just threw 51 million dollars at his team, you can't hand over that kind of dough just to negotiate and then low ball the player, not only is it not practical it just ain't right.

But yeah, thats a heck of a staff if Mtsuzaka becomes what everyone thinks.

Paying a guy three times his current salary for six years on isn't lowballing a guy. Matsuzaka had two years and 6 million dollars left on his contract with the Lions. Anyway, if his dream is to really pitch int he major leagues, as he so often claims, then money shouldn't be the biggest issue.

I heard that a big problem here is that Japanese pitchers want a lot of respect in contract negotiations. Boras is claiming that the contract that was offered wasn't respectful enough while the Red Sox stood by their arguement that claimed that the 52.1 mill they offered for him was respectful. Hopefully it all works out.