SportsWrath

So pick #2

BlueInCanada

QB or RB?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do they take?

• QB
    • RB

Again, I think it's a combination of drafting high, there being some quality prospects, and that Eli's shelf life is shorter than the rookie contract of 4 years. That combination doesn't come around very often for us, so there is a strong inclination to take advantage of that scenario, regardless of Eli's performance.

It's like a perfect storm that's leading us towards a QB at #2 overall...but the wild card is Davis Webb. If we already have the heir apparent, then you go elsewhere at #2. If we don't, then you go QB at #2.

Thing is, because we don't know what we have in Webb, we're stuck in that second position of going with QB at #2. With all the new hires, they all know that there future depends on the QB that replaces Eli. And none of them want to risk going down looking...they at least want to swing the bat while at the plate.

I just don't see who the QB prospects are somehow better than Webb at this point...

Webb is our Aaron Rodgers. Those who always focus on where the kid was drafted I'll ask you this: Where was Aaron Rodgers drafted? Late first? Where was Brady drafted? I think the kid has the physical attributes and the work ethic to be a great QB... besides it's not like we have a choice here... most SW folks want Barkley drafted...

Webb could be our Aaron Rodgers. I thought the same thing about our last could be Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Nassib. I recall you were not very happy about that pick. :laugh:

Simms was loved- he got released after an 11-5 season. people get over it.

Yep, people weren't outraged over the benching just how it was handled by the all mighty MacAttack.

You bench him for his replacement, sure some love is lost and people freak out but they get over it.

You bench Eli for Geno Smith, and you might as well kiss goodbye to your career.

Yep, people weren't outraged over the benching just how it was handled by the all mighty MacAttack.

You bench him for his replacement, sure some love is lost and people freak out but they get over it.

You bench Eli for Geno Smith, and you might as well kiss goodbye to your career.

They cut Phil for Dave Brown.- Reeves stayed coaching for another 3 or 4 seasons.

Plus it ended Eli's streak if not for that I don't think people would of been has mad and like said it was for Geno not a let's see what Webb has move. Thing is once they did it there was no reason to go back to Eli. Though it would of been an unfair assessement of Webb with the state of the team over the final 4 weeks, I don't really know how Shurmur evaluates Webb pre-draft

You can't truly evaluate Webb now...so we have to approach the draft as if he's a piece of shit bust...to be on the safe side. Now, we draft a QB at #2 and if Webb is the shit, then we've got a trade to make. It's that, or we wait until next year to potentially draft a QB, but that comes with a whole hell of a lot of unknowns.

McAdoo really fucked this team by putting Geno in over Webb. Webb should've gone in after the bye and started the remainder of the season with Eli being in his ear the whole time. It might not have been the best evaluation given the offensive line and whatnot, but it would've been something to look at. The coaches, I trust, are smart enough to look at a particular play on tape and figure that Webb only had 2 seconds to throw and he chose to tuck the ball and take the sack instead of risking an interception/fumble. Even if there was an open receiver, they're not going to necessarily hold that against Webb...at least they shouldn't. They should look at that play and think good of Webb for not making a fucked up play even worse. So while he might not have rung up big stats, there's still things evaluators could have looked at...but like I said, we don't have that information now, so there's no need to beat a dead horse.

Going forward, we have 2 years of Eli left for all intents and purposes. Choice is really...develop Webb, develop a draft pick, or both. I'm thinking they're going to take a QB at #2 overall and develop both at this point. Potentially let Eli walk with a year remaining and use that money to fortify the offensive line (further) and running back positions in a big, big way.

I am thinking we are less likely to pick a qb now with eli back and will go with an rb. Look what elliott has done in dallas and frankly they were shit without him.

I think about the year we drafted Eli Manning and it turned out ok that we drafted a first round QB when we didn't need to. It will be ok to draft a first round QB now as well. Sometimes you just have to plan ahead even if you don't how it is going to turn out. Taking a QB now will probably not help us out immediately but three years down the road? five years?

I see nothing wrong with having Webb on the roster and he'll get his opportunities.

I am thinking we are less likely to pick a qb now with eli back and will go with an rb. Look what elliott has done in dallas and frankly they were shit without him.

I don't think Elliott was half of it. I think that offensive line had vastly more to do with it than anything.

Webb could be our Aaron Rodgers. I thought the same thing about our last could be Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Nassib. I recall you were not very happy about that pick. :laugh:

I wasnt happy about Nassib... I was very happy with Webb.

I think about the year we drafted Eli Manning and it turned out ok that we drafted a first round QB when we didn't need to. It will be ok to draft a first round QB now as well. Sometimes you just have to plan ahead even if you don't how it is going to turn out. Taking a QB now will probably not help us out immediately but three years down the road? five years?

I see nothing wrong with having Webb on the roster and he'll get his opportunities.

That was different they had Tiki

Throwing my .02...here should be the Giants draft board when discussing the first round:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Saquon Barkley

I will say this, however...Josh Allen is very tempting. I want to see how he performs at the combine and drills, and I wish I could see how he handles the interviewing process.

I think Sam Darnold has a floor of a Matt Stafford and a ceiling of Brett Favre (maybe Roethlisberger, or whoever you think is better). But Josh Allen has a floor of Jake Locker but a ceiling of John Frickin' Elway. I am completely infatuated with the arm of Josh Allen, and those that believe he can't throw with touch are 100% incorrect). If you designed the perfect QB in a lab, as a physical specimen, then you'd produce Josh Allen. The only thing that can prevent Josh Allen from being a superb NFL QB is Josh Allen. If he commits to getting better every day, and his mental acuity for the game is good, his ceiling is through the roof. The only problem is it's so hard to evaluate him as a QB coming out of Wyoming and on a really bad offense. He was virtually the only competitive player on that offense most weeks, and to top it off he's playing half his games in Wyoming in the fall and winter. You can't have worse conditions to evaluate talent than in Wyoming with a bad team around you.

Because of the bust potential, right now I'd have Allen below the other two. I think Darnold is a pretty sure bet to be a franchise QB and a good NFL QB. Barkley is a lock to be a generational talent at RB. Barkley may be the surest thing to come out of the draft since...I don't know...maybe Von Miller in 2011. He is in the LaDainian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk tier of RBs. If you can imagine an offense with Barkley and OBJ...and then you can imagine what Engram and Shepard could do as well...it would be an embarrassment of riches offensively and I really think the Giants can turn it around quickly with Barkley. Get him and we'll score more than 30 points again.