SportsWrath

Giants snag touted cornerback in NFL’s supplemental draft

Tempest

He isn't officially out for season yet. He's still in uni on the sidelines as of yesterday.

Sounds like it's not really an out for season kind of injury, and they're really just waffling on whether to red shirt him and use the roster spot elsewhere.

If that's the case, and its me, I keep him in the classroom and see how he's picking it up. If he's not getting it, I would IR him around the first cut down.

He isn't officially out for season yet. He's still in uni on the sidelines as of yesterday.

Sounds like it's not really an out for season kind of injury, and they're really just waffling on whether to red shirt him and use the roster spot elsewhere.

If that's the case, and its me, I keep him in the classroom and see how he's picking it up. If he's not getting it, I would IR him around the first cut down.

Naww he's done, Getty himself has said he's out for the year, surgery is gonna be a five to six month type of thing and they will see him next spring. Sooner he's under the knife the sooner he can start recovering and sitting around in the classrooms.

I guess it was a known injury too, he's had shoulder problems/surgery before this.

They said this was a simple dislocated shoulder. Surgery and a 5 month recovery time is a bit much if that's all it is. Mine was 8 weeks and I was only 13 at the time. Hell... in 07 Eli played with a Separated Shoulder which is worse. Something bout this is weird.

They said this was a simple dislocated shoulder. Surgery and a 5 month recovery time is a bit much if that's all it is. Mine was 8 weeks and I was only 13 at the time. Hell... in 07 Eli played with a Separated Shoulder which is worse. Something bout this is weird.

Beal is going for surgery, so it's more than a dislocation, and like even Getty said they've known about this before they drafted him.

He's had surgery back in 2016 I think it was, on the same shoulder.

“We knew about the shoulder; there was no mystery there,” Gettleman told reporters. “We knew about the shoulder. It’s like drafting anybody that’s got an injury; we knew about the shoulder. We had MRIs that Arizona had taken. He comes here, reinjures it, does what he does, and you know, it is what it is. Best-case scenario, he’s on the field and we’re not talking about this. Really and truly, we felt we’re getting next year’s third-round pick this year. So now with the shoulder, we get it fixed — it’s about a five-month procedure — and he’s ready to go in the spring. So, it is what it is. Anybody can get hurt. … He’s got to have surgery.”

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/28/new-york-giants-confirm-sam-beal-out-season/

Thanks BiC, I was just about to follow up with that too, just saw it as well.

Well, that is that. Like Dragon said, the time line is fishy. Maybe reading too much in, but must not be a super quick study. No big deal, better value then using the roster spot elsewhere.

Gotta take this one and make the most out of it. At least he's here and while rehabbing he can have his nose in the playbook and his eyes in the film room. Kid gets a redshirt year.

I really didn't expect him to play much this year, anyway. In addition to the usual rookie learning curve, at 6' 1", 177, he needs to add some bulk and strength. As Dragon says, he'll sit and learn and have a good head start going into next year's camp. Meanwhile,we still need to find a slot cover guy and add some quality depth to the DB unit.

I really didn't expect him to play much this year, anyway. In addition to the usual rookie learning curve, at 6' 1", 177, he needs to add some bulk and strength. As Dragon says, he'll sit and learn and have a good head start going into next year's camp. Meanwhile,we still need to find a slot cover guy and add some quality depth to the DB unit.

What's with DRC?

DRC won't sign with anybody until he's missed at least a few weeks of training camp. However much time he figures he needs to be ready for Week 1, that's when he'll sign....and not a day before.

I honestly seen him in the starting lineup at some point.

The NFL is pretty forgiving when it comes to rookie CBs and them starting.

Apple is the better slot guy, Beal would of lined up across from dudes on the outside.

I honestly seen him in the starting lineup at some point.

The NFL is pretty forgiving when it comes to rookie CBs and them starting.

Apple is the better slot guy, Beal would of lined up across from dudes on the outside.

Given our recent poor history with 3rd round draft picks, I'd be happy if Beal simply caught on as a backup.

I mean, look at this shit, not including the past two years:

Owamabe Odighizuwa

Jay Bromley

Damontre Moore

Jayron Hosely

Jerrel Jernigan

Ramses Barden

Travis Beckum

Others: Chad Jones gets an injury pass.

Darian Thompson was very underwhelming last year, but the jury is still out; we'll see.

DRC won't sign with anybody until he's missed at least a few weeks of training camp. However much time he figures he needs to be ready for Week 1, that's when he'll sign....and not a day before.

I'll take it.