SportsWrath

Mets vs. Phillies 7:10 P.M.

RandolphScott

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- Lingering joy over making the Opening Day roster quickly faded last week once Mike Pelfrey realized that he wouldn't pitch so soon, after all. He watched as Johan Santana and Oliver Perez cruised, as John Maine struggled, and as Pedro Martinez left with an injury. Then he watched as the Mets passed him over when rain dampened his scheduled start.

"For the past week or so, I saw everyone else get their seasons going," Pelfrey said. "I'm just excited to go out and be a part of it."

Now, he will be. He should be for quite some time, as well, considering the Mets just received a bad bit of news about another starter, Orlando Hernandez. El Duque flew to New York on Tuesday after feeling newfound discomfort in his right foot. He had an MRI on the foot, which had bothered him all spring, and the Mets have set no timetable for him to pitch. So as long as he and Martinez remain out of the Mets' rotation -- and neither is due back soon -- then Pelfrey will pitch, whether he deserves to or not.

His rough spring didn't give the Mets much reason to believe that he's earned a full-time spot just yet. But Pelfrey still has all the potential of a first-round Draft pick -- he was the team's top selection in 2005 -- and he now has a new opportunity to prove it.

"I was supposed to pitch Saturday, so not pitching -- it wasn't fun," Pelfrey said. "But I've got to make the most of it. I've been given an opportunity, and I've got to take advantage of it."

His opportunity comes with a caveat -- Pelfrey will be charged with helping the Mets beat the Phillies for the first time in 10 games. Tuesday afternoon's loss at Shea Stadium resembled many of the final eight games between the regional rivals last season. The Phillies won all eight, using that momentum to nudge the Mets out of the playoffs.

Kyle Kendrick, who will take the mound for the Phillies on Wednesday, was a part of that push, even beating the Mets once in July. He, however, has pitched once already this season. Pelfrey has not. Instead, he'll be throwing on 11 full days of rest, which for many pitchers would be an issue. Pelfrey is no different -- he said he would certainly rather work on a regular schedule -- but he didn't envision the extra time being a problem.

"It's my first start of the season so the adrenaline is definitely going to be there, and the excitement is definitely going to be there," Pelfrey said. "Really, I just want to get the season going -- to be a part of it and help contribute."

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Mike Pelfrey (0-0, -.-- ERA)

Pelfrey was 3-8 with a 5.57 ERA in 15 appearances (13 starts) with the Mets in 2007. The right-hander allowed three runs over 3 2/3 innings in his final Grapefruit League start, bumping his ERA to 8.14 and earning a roster spot only after Hernandez couldn't prove that he was healthy enough to pitch. Facing the Phillies for the first time last season, Pelfrey lost despite pitching well, allowing three runs -- two earned -- in five innings.

PHI: RHP Kyle Kendrick (1-0, 7.20 ERA)

Kendrick allowed four runs in five innings his first time out, though that performance was more than enough to earn him a victory. His rookie season last year saw him pitch even better than that against the Mets, holding them to two runs over 6 2/3 innings in a game at Philadelphia. That win was the third straight to open his career.

Tidbits

Ryan Church, while with the Nationals, amassed two singles, a home run and two walks in nine plate appearances against Kendrick. ... Carlos Beltran leads the Majors with seven doubles. ... reliever Carlos Muniz pitched a perfect inning on Tuesday in his season debut ... Tuesday's crowd of 56,350 was the largest for a home opener in Mets history.

Linkage

I'm reading some quotes and I'm getting pissed off. Manuel is being a jackass, and Utley is being a bitch. Phillies fans are mocking the Mets too.

I know this team isn't that great but I want to be fucking beat these guys.

I know...it's on CN8 here, which you only get if you have Comcast, but I have RCN.

Teuf, what part of Philly do you live in? Cause I played some matches in Philly

and played schools like Holy Family and the University of Sciences, are you close to them?

Have you heard of the cheese steak place "Steve's"?

Lucky there but christ can Reyes hit out out of the infield. Ever since Castillo came to this team, Reyes has looked like shit.

Thats cause Castillo gets him high out in the parking lot after games Grant Roberts style.

Nice inning. I'll take that shit errors and all.

Damn fellas, I'm pretty frustrated too, but I haven't seen one positive comment. Especially this inning where they've driven the ball around the field pretty good.