SportsWrath

Inconsequential Giants are Beasts of East?

Barens

http://giants.scout.com/2/519767.html

By: Ken Palmer

Date: Apr 12, 2006

Does anyone even remember that the Giants won the NFC East last season? Yes, I know most of you have the hats and shirts to prove it. But surely all the ticket stubs from last January’s playoff debacle to the Panthers have already gone up in smoke.

These Giants might be the lowest-regarded division champs in league history. They’ve done nothing but improve this offseason, yet no one seems to be giving them even a fighting chance at defending their throne. This isn’t to say they will or won’t – because before the Draft is even held, it’s way too early to tell – just that it’s a tad shocking how quickly the mighty can fall – without doing anything to warrant said decline…

It said in this space after the season that Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress needed to cut their selfish act and join the rest of their mates in New Jersey for the offseason program. This isn’t to insinuate that Shockey and Plax can’t read, because they can – although attending Miami and Michigan State hardly deters one from thinking that way – just that they obviously don’t agree with their coach, quarterback and anyone else around the team that they’re not bigger than the club and that they should be here with everyone else. What makes things worse, their selfish behavior has also swallowed up William Joseph, who is nowhere near as good or established as that receiving duo to be given a green light to be down in Miami. Since Eli’s complaints last offseason did nothing, perhaps it’s time for Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan or even John Mara to call those guys out once again…

What gives with Greisen: One of the cardinal rules of journalism is not to allow emotions and personal preferences to enter into your reporting. When it comes to Nick Greisen and his unfortunate unemployed situation at press-time, that’s darn near impossible. Not only is Greisen one of the classiest players to ever enter the Giants locker room, but he sure as heck played much better last season than two ‘backers the Giants currently have installed as starters – Reggie Torbor and Carlos Emmons. Yet the Giants haven’t even made a bargain basement offer to Greisen, who has had only one visit – to Tennessee – to date. And Big Blue shelled out a million a year to Tim Carter, who has to be 50-1 to even make it through the offseason program healthy.

“I’m just playing the waiting game,” Greisen told TGI. “This is a crazy business.”

Yes it is. As more time passes it might seem like a Greisen/Giants reunion would become more appealing to both sides. Forget about it – if it hasn’t happened yet, it’s not going to…

Will P or not Will P? One of the offseason’s biggest questions remains the status of CB Will Peterson, who stayed in Arizona to rehab instead of joining his mates in New Jersey for the start of the offseason program. It’s becoming more and more apparent that Will P has apparently already suited up for the final time in a Giants uniform. Back injuries are tricky, as are players that are understandably wary of testing potentially career-threatening injuries. Here’s hoping Will P has a miraculous recovery. Here’s saying – as have some in the organization – that it’s not in the cards…

Just missed on Keyshawn: Not sure whether or not you were in favor of adding the enigmatic Keyshawn Johnson to the mix (for the record, TGI was), but the Giants, who were the first to host Johnson, simply were outbid by the Panthers for Keyshawn’s services. While the Giants were looking to give Johnson no more than $4 million in guaranteed money, the Panthers gave him $5 million to sign and a total package of $14 million. Can’t blame Johnson for choosing the Panthers, where he’s guaranteed to start. Can you blame the Giants for not opening the wallets a little more for a proven, dependable playmaking receiver? Of course you can…

Not yet convinced: One Pro Bowl veteran isn’t exactly overly impressed by New York’s secondary additions just yet.

“I felt we had good players back there last year,” Osi Umenyiora said. “No one knows if they’re going to be able to help us this year.”

You mean you didn't know that Ken Palmer is the Fab Four?

He must be or he is the leader of their cultish group. All praise Ken Palmer :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

Questions to ponder in the east:

Washington made some very good offensive moves this off-season. If brunelle played like he did last year I don’t know what to expect from this team.

Dallas: TO seems to either elevate a team or dismantle it. I see TO keeping his mouth shut baring a serious slide in the loss column. IMO if it comes down to it, if things blow up during the season either parcelles or T.O. will not be involved with the team game time. I see them as the most serious threat in the east this year.

Philly could jump right back in the saddle. the defense is solid one good DT away from being a bigger threat, and if they get a WR to step up they could also be trouble.

If manning does not improve, his mechanics do not move forward, the fans will start sounding like Lockhart. if Tiki takes a step back who will step up.

every team has big question marks and that’s barring INJ's...

The beast of the East? Let's not get ahead of ourselves

Guest Carbo

With the Giants schedule being what it is, they are looking at a 5-11, maybe 6-10 season. The good news is this gives them a good draft pick next year. Looks like a rebuilding decade. . .

With the Giants schedule being what it is, they are looking at a 5-11, maybe 6-10 season. The good news is this gives them a good draft pick next year. Looks like a rebuilding decade. . .

At least in your other stupid posts, you sound serious. This is obviously an attempt at a joke.

in the words of your mother:

"Shut up stupid"

Questions to ponder in the east:

Washington made some very good offensive moves this off-season. If brunelle played like he did last year I don’t know what to expect from this team.

Dallas: TO seems to either elevate a team or dismantle it. I see TO keeping his mouth shut baring a serious slide in the loss column. IMO if it comes down to it, if things blow up during the season either parcelles or T.O. will not be involved with the team game time. I see them as the most serious threat in the east this year.

Philly could jump right back in the saddle. the defense is solid one good DT away from being a bigger threat, and if they get a WR to step up they could also be trouble.

If manning does not improve, his mechanics do not move forward, the fans will start sounding like Lockhart. if Tiki takes a step back who will step up.

every team has big question marks and that’s barring INJ's...

The beast of the East? Let's not get ahead of ourselves

I'm pretty sure you're the person he was referring to when he said, "Does anyone even remember that the Giants won the NFC East last season? Yes, I know most of you have the hats and shirts to prove it. But surely all the ticket stubs from last January’s playoff debacle to the Panthers have already gone up in smoke.

These Giants might be the lowest-regarded division champs in league history. They’ve done nothing but improve this offseason, yet no one seems to be giving them even a fighting chance at defending their throne. This isn’t to say they will or won’t – because before the Draft is even held, it’s way too early to tell – just that it’s a tad shocking how quickly the mighty can fall – without doing anything to warrant said decline… "

Guest nosebleed

Does anyone even remember that the Giants won the NFC East last season? Yes, I know most of you have the hats and shirts to prove it. But surely all the ticket stubs from last January’s playoff debacle to the Panthers have already gone up in smoke.

These Giants might be the lowest-regarded division champs in league history. They’ve done nothing but improve this offseason, yet no one seems to be giving them even a fighting chance at defending their throne. This isn’t to say they will or won’t – because before the Draft is even held, it’s way too early to tell – just that it’s a tad shocking how quickly the mighty can fall – without doing anything to warrant said decline…

It said in this space after the season that Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress needed to cut their selfish act and join the rest of their mates in New Jersey for the offseason program. This isn’t to insinuate that Shockey and Plax can’t read, because they can – although attending Miami and Michigan State hardly deters one from thinking that way – just that they obviously don’t agree with their coach, quarterback and anyone else around the team that they’re not bigger than the club and that they should be here with everyone else. What makes things worse, their selfish behavior has also swallowed up William Joseph, who is nowhere near as good or established as that receiving duo to be given a green light to be down in Miami :LMAO: . Since Eli’s complaints last offseason did nothing, perhaps it’s time for Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan or even John Mara to call those guys out once again…

What gives with Greisen: One of the cardinal rules of journalism is not to allow emotions and personal preferences to enter into your reporting. When it comes to Nick Greisen and his unfortunate unemployed situation at press-time, that’s darn near impossible. Not only is Greisen one of the classiest players to ever enter the Giants locker room, but he sure as heck played much better last season than two ‘backers the Giants currently have installed as starters – Reggie Torbor and Carlos Emmons. Yet the Giants haven’t even made a bargain basement offer to Greisen, who has had only one visit – to Tennessee – to date. And Big Blue shelled out a million a year to Tim Carter, who has to be 50-1 to even make it through the offseason program healthy.

“I’m just playing the waiting game,” Greisen told TGI. “This is a crazy business.”

Yes it is. As more time passes it might seem like a Greisen/Giants reunion would become more appealing to both sides. Forget about it – if it hasn’t happened yet, it’s not going to…

Will P or not Will P? One of the offseason’s biggest questions remains the status of CB Will Peterson, who stayed in Arizona to rehab instead of joining his mates in New Jersey for the start of the offseason program. It’s becoming more and more apparent that Will P has apparently already suited up for the final time in a Giants uniform. Back injuries are tricky, as are players that are understandably wary of testing potentially career-threatening injuries. Here’s hoping Will P has a miraculous recovery. Here’s saying – as have some in the organization – that it’s not in the cards…

Just missed on Keyshawn: Not sure whether or not you were in favor of adding the enigmatic Keyshawn Johnson to the mix (for the record, TGI was), but the Giants, who were the first to host Johnson, simply were outbid by the Panthers for Keyshawn’s services. While the Giants were looking to give Johnson no more than $4 million in guaranteed money, the Panthers gave him $5 million to sign and a total package of $14 million. Can’t blame Johnson for choosing the Panthers, where he’s guaranteed to start. Can you blame the Giants for not opening the wallets a little more for a proven, dependable playmaking receiver? Of course you can…

Not yet convinced: One Pro Bowl veteran isn’t exactly overly impressed by New York’s secondary additions just yet.

“I felt we had good players back there last year,” Osi Umenyiora said. “No one knows if they’re going to be able to help us this year.”

Let's see - Plax and Shockless = selfish, what's the problem with attending fashion shows and nightclubs.

Furthermore, as stated many times, the 4 are in favor of resigning Greisen, the second best linebacker on the team last year.

Guest nosebleed

It said in this space after the season that Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress needed to cut their selfish act and join the rest of their mates in New Jersey for the offseason program. This isn’t to insinuate that Shockey and Plax can’t read, because they can – although attending Miami and Michigan State hardly deters one from thinking that way – just that they obviously don’t agree with their coach, quarterback and anyone else around the team that they’re not bigger than the club and that they should be here with everyone else. What makes things worse, their selfish behavior has also swallowed up William Joseph, who is nowhere near as good or established as that receiving duo to be given a green light to be down in Miami :LMAO: . Since Eli’s complaints last offseason did nothing, perhaps it’s time for Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan or even John Mara to call those guys out once again…

Let's see - Plax and Shockless = selfish, what's the problem with attending fashion shows and nightclubs.

Furthermore, as stated many times, the 4 are in favor of resigning Greisen, the second best linebacker on the team last year.

Guest Lockhart

This Ken Palmer does understand the real situation with the two headcases in Miami that call themselves receivers, and the waste of space Willie Jo - if only Accorsi would understand...............but then he never has.

Edited by Lockhart

I'm pretty sure you're the person he was referring to when he said, "Does anyone even remember that the Giants won the NFC East last season? Yes, I know most of you have the hats and shirts to prove it. But surely all the ticket stubs from last January’s playoff debacle to the Panthers have already gone up in smoke.

These Giants might be the lowest-regarded division champs in league history. They’ve done nothing but improve this offseason, yet no one seems to be giving them even a fighting chance at defending their throne. This isn’t to say they will or won’t – because before the Draft is even held, it’s way too early to tell – just that it’s a tad shocking how quickly the mighty can fall – without doing anything to warrant said decline… "

I'm not saying they don;t have a fighting chance but to say they are the "BEASTS" of the east is assinine.

i recall one blow out with NFC east teams last year and five other games Vs them that where not walks in the park. The other teams in the division have made good moves I guess giants.scout.com doesn;t really see that.

Manning needs to get better, his first playoff appearance IMO was a huge dispointment. Not that is was soely his fault.

And I didn't burn my ticket stubb I still have it.

Guest Nutty Sack

OK........so this Ken Palmer guy understands the issues that face the Giants the way the Fab Four does. That's very nice. But we're not going to jump up and down and tell you we told you so. Being realistic 8 and 8 next season will be a success. To this moment Ernies get a D minus for his off season moves. That fact that Nick Greisen is left twisting in the wind while EA fondles Lavars testicles instead is down right insane. On top of that he signs aged question marks for the secondary openings while forgetting you need a defensive line in the game of football.

What puts icing on the cake is these bimbo's in Florida doing there own thing. We all know already that Willie Joe is useless anyway so who gives a dang if he's in Pango Pango working out. He is a non entity and his presence in the line up is a detrement at best. Shockey and Burress at this point have proven that they are nothing more than a distraction both on and off the field. I'd rather have any two receivers from anywhere who are committed to play for the team than these guys. We would be better off. Eli would be much more of a success without being shown up every play.

By mid November all you guys will wake up to what FF have been telling you. Until that time enjoy dreaming.

Guest Floyd The Barber

great article...i guess there are other realists out there as well...you knew damn straight all the Giant Flower Puffers would discredit the article the moment he looked at the entire situation without sugar...

tell me, how does the timing and tendancies between QB and his WR's get better when the 2 are at separate points on the east coast ??

Guest Carbo
great article...i guess there are other realists out there as well...you knew damn straight all the Giant Flower Puffers would discredit the article the moment he looked at the entire situation without sugar...

tell me, how does the timing and tendancies between QB and his WR's get better when the 2 are at separate points on the east coast ??

Feng shui?

Guest Floyd The Barber
The same way they did last year.

so what you are saying is, we should expect another season of underachieving ??

Guest Floyd The Barber
So going from 6-10 to division champions is "underachieving"?

2005 was a success do not get me wrong, but we failed to cease the moment and move further into the playoffs...the NFC was ours for the taking given the strenght of schedule and opponent...nothing is a lock, but we were in the drivers seat midway until the wheels began to fall off...

2006 will be a different story dont expect these same NYG's to duplicate such success...there is something called parity that plays a big part

Guest Floyd The Barber
Then why are you predicting failure?

strength of schedule, strength of opponent...our inability to address our weakest areas of need...doenst look to positive, wouldnt you say ??